Close call

Almost 3 years ago I had limited Wegener’s involving my kidneys. I recently spent a week doctoring what I thought was a sinus infection. It turned out to be pneumonia, and I was hospitalized because my kidney function had also rapidly deteriorated. Fortunately, treatment rapidly brought my kidney function back to previous levels. My doctor felt that the pneumonia had caused the kidney stress, and that I hadn’t suffered a relapse. It was a shock to me, but apparently other illnesses can trigger Wegener’s symptoms, so be sure that doctors do a thorough check when you have an illness.

I thought by strict definition, one could not have ‘limited’ WG of the kidneys. Limited does not refer to severity but to whether or not the disease has affected the kidneys.

Thanks for the support.

Sorry, should have added that I think your advice concerning other issues affecting our kidneys as well, is spot on. We have to be ever vigilant. FWIW, I have kidney involvement and we have been able to recover the function a little but basically, I have to be satisfied with mildly impaired function. So long as the figures don’t get any worse, we are pretty happy with that. The best results I’ve ever had though have been when I’ve been good with my diet and have implemented an anti-inflammatory diet.