Comprehensive TMAU Testing in UK

Comprehensive testing is available for those in or near Europe who do not have easy access to testing. Interested parties must be referred by their doctor for tesing; therefore pass on the following information to your doctor, and ask him/her to contact Mr. Manning to find out how you can be tested:
Mr. N. J. Manning
Principal Clinical Scientist
Department of Clinical Chemistry
Sheffield Children’s Hospital
Sheffield S10 2TH
UK
Phone: +44 (0)
Fax: +44 (0)
E-mail:

Please ask your GP to contact the lab for logistics and the required protocol. However if you are refused testing or if your doctor does not cooperate, consider speaking with someone in the London peer support group for advice and/or a referral.

This lab does not deal directly with individual patients and requests for testing must be made through the office of a Primary Care Physician, GP, or other medical facility/personnel. Test results will be passed on through the office of the requesting PCP or GP and will not be released to the patient.

International Support Group in U.K.:
PH: 07983 805 235
E-mail: or

Dear Martha

Thanks a lot for the UK information - I hadn’t realised there was a group in England. I’ll be contacting them soon.

Aggie7

From: Martha804 Trimethylaminuria-cpt6874@lists.careplace.com
Date: 2007/11/22 Thu PM 05:27:51 GMT
To: l.nolan777@ntlworld.com
Subject: [trimethylaminuria] Comprehensive TMAU Testing in UK

Hi Martha,

This is great, thanks for giving out my details. Can I ask where you got my details from? Are you a member of the gloabl TMAU support group run by Sandy Gordon in the US?

I actually tend to use tmauvb@yahoo.co.uk to offer support, but am happy to respond here also.

I am not too familiar with this careplace site as I accidentally came across it with emails suddenly popping up in my inbox. Not sure if I ever subscribed?!

Vanita> To: nitab1@hotmail.co.uk> From: Trimethylaminuria-cpt6874@lists.careplace.com> Subject: [trimethylaminuria] Comprehensive TMAU Testing in UK> Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 12:27:51 -0500> >

Hi,

Please find details of the hospital in London that can send you samples off to Sheffield…
It is not possible for you to pay privately or go to Dr Manning directly. You need to be tested via the University College Hospital who will send the urine/blood samples to Dr Manning and the results will be communicated via an appointment with the UCH. However, the only way you can be tested is to be referred by your GP. It might help if you take a print out of TMAU symptoms from the internet or any supporting documentation that you might have, to give the GP an idea of this research as he/she may not have heard of TMAU before, and may gain a clearer understanding on why you would want this test. You can ask your GP to write to him for a referral and they will take it from there:Dr Robin LachmannThe National Hospital for Neurology and NeurosurgeryCharles Dent Metabolic UnitQueen SquareLondon WC1N 3BGThe nearest tube station is Russel Square (Piccadilly line).Advice - if you are about to take a test, I am sure you are already aware from previous emails, but please load up as much as possible on choline and anything that triggers your symptoms. These tests can produce a negative result and since you are unable to test privately in the UK, we rely on a GP referral and they may not be happy to re refer you after a negative result.Good luck!

Vanita> To: nitab1@hotmail.co.uk> From: Trimethylaminuria-cpt6874@lists.careplace.com> Subject: [trimethylaminuria] Comprehensive TMAU Testing in UK> Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 12:27:51 -0500> >