Controlled drinking

Do you ever feel like you can just have a couple drinks?  If i feel better about my problem am i actually better or do i just think i am? Because right now in the point of recovery i feel like i realized that how much i was drinking was outta control but if i controled my drinking i would be fine. what do you guys think?

Thinking I could control it is why I am here now.  I stopped for a year, my situation changed and I thought ‘I feel better in myself I’m sure I can limit my drinking’, become a successful drinker.  I was ok, drank occasionally and was happy.  It has taken a year to get where I am.  But after a run of bad luck I found that I had crept up to drinking every night.  And drinking thinking had crept in.  Going places and doing things not because I wanted to but because it would give me the opportunity to drink.  Now I’m struggling to stay sober.  Maybe you could control it but for how long?  Wish you all the best and hope you do the right thing for you.

well... i tried to control drink... multiple times... hell, i started out "controlled" drinking, and within 2 months, i was back to drinking my same ole usual way... alcoholically.  Now, i like what many older people in the rooms say about their, "built-in forgetters"  First Alcoholism is as much a mental disease as a phsical one, and it os the only disease that tells you that you don't have it... it will make light of the times that one messed up while using it... it will convince a person that they can do controlled drinking, that one can control it... and every now and then, there is a person that stopped before they hit that alcoholic line... but as i have heard quite plenty, once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Now... you might be able to go back out and drink again, safely... or you might not... i know for me... when i had those doubts early in my sobritey... i had my sponsor remind me of a few things that might mean that i am an alcoholic... as well as when i went from obsessing about that drink, to the actual cravings.... i had to think about that one... Normal people, don't obsess about a drink, let alone have physical cravings(salivating when one thinks about it, heart racing, temperature rising, tension... all the good little whistles and bells)

Now think about the desire to drink... if i had gotten into 1/10 the trouble with strawberries, that i got into with alcohol, then i wouldn't have had any problems with giving up strawberries, and had no regrets doing it.As it is, i have a slight allergy to strawberries to where i get slightly naseaous... and guess what, i don't eat strawberries. Whereas with Alcohol... i had failed out of college twice because drinking was more important than class... had failed relationships (many of them) because i did stupid shit while drinking... and hell, there was one relationship that i couldn't get into because of the fact of my drinking... she didn't want to see me turn into a lush... but still i drank.  After getting stuck at a dead-end job, drinking everyday, my depression getting worse and worse, i finally decided to join the Navy... and then, barely a year in, i almost get kicked out for the shit that i did when i was drinking...

Now my question to you before you decide to go out or not... is it worth it to find out?

It is the old analogy about the train.

Picturing the train as your use of alcohol.  You figure you can drink one or two and you should be alright.   You can stop after one or two, right?

Your drinking is like a moving train, if you stop after a couple and do not get to the end of the train you should be ok.  Has anyone ever heard of anyone being hurt or killed  by the caboose of the train? Me neither.    

It is the engine of the train that will kill you, or the first drink of the train.  Never the caboose.

You appear from your picture to be young.  You may be young enough to drink again,  but do you have it in you to sober up again.

I can tell you from personal experience, staying sober is MUCH EASIER than getting sober.  

What can you gain by drinking?   Compare it to what you have to lose.   

thank you for your adivce sorry it took me so long to reply i have been away from a computer...but i deeply appreciate what each of you have to say. It makes perfect sense. It's just so hard to say no sometimes

thank you for your adivce sorry it took me so long to reply i have been away from a computer...but i deeply appreciate what each of you have to say. It makes perfect sense. It's just so hard to say no sometimes

wot u mean both of u theres only me? how long have u been sober
well im taking a day at at a time i don’t realy think about drink much
im on a mission 2 stop smoking after 20 years o it is a job but if i can do drink
anythings possible.i think i will get some real support from this site i think i will
got a good feelling about it.fill me in a bit more about how u r doing & we will speak later

bakes alcoholism-cpt2107@lists.careplace.com wrote:

A person that I have literally known since the day he was born. Recently died while in prison.

All I could think of when learning of his death was,

Some people need to die to sober up.

Well he is sober now 

very sorry 2 hear about your friend wot a wast.i got your e mail about being my friend i would like that. could’nt sign in thay said my password was wrong so i changed it hope it works send me a e mail like the last 1 & i’ll c if i can sigh in im new 2 all this.r u trying 2 control
your drinking take it from me it just does’nt work i tryed that 4 a long while in the end alcoholl just always beated me.i first went 2 aa in 1996 i stoped 4 a while in & out u no something finally snapped in my head & i ended up starting a meeting up with a friendit went well i took it i gained a lot of confidence from it pity i did’nt take it longer the next bloke 2 take it was a arrogant cunt & stoped going 2 the meeting then 2 of my cats got run over could’nt cope with it so wot was the answer drink that sent me back on the drink 4 about 3 years but after a long struggle i got sober again & joining this site has given me support & got my thinking wright i hope with people like u we will do it you’v dot 2 rember i was sober 4 6& a half years we can do it buy 4 now karkie

pawned alcoholism-cpt2107@lists.careplace.com wrote: