Cryoglobulenemia & Hep C

Has anyone tried protease inhibitors for underlying Hep C? Has anyone gotten rid of Hep C in any way? If so, what effect did it have on the cryo?

I just got on this website and yours was the first blog I read. I had hep c. I cleared it 8 years ago. I took interferon invarying levels monitored at the University of Miami hepatology clinic. Have had a liver biopsy that was excellent and remain clear for 8 years. i was treated when they were experimenting with different methods and doses. I also had plasma pherisis. I am on dialysis due to kidney failure from the cryo but doing extremely well. I am on peritonel dialysis. I do it myself at home. They never tried protese inhibitors on me. Got results after much experimentation with doses of interferon in combo with the plasma pherisys.

I have hep c. Treated with Interferon A back in the early 90s, was on the Pegasys trial in 94-95. That trial (six months) caused subsequent symptoms of vasculitis (palpable purpura, bone pain and increasing neuropathy). An autoimmune component apparently has complicated my “issues”. Reynauds, Sjogren’s.

Treated with cytoxan after a sural nerve biopsy showed chronic demylinating inflammatory polyneuropathy (CIDP) and now I have had bone marrow failure since treatment in the late 1990s with the immunosupresssant drug cytoxan. My oncolgist and rheumatologist and GI doc have confirmed vasculitis affecting my GI tract (chronic bleeding ulcers resulting in blood transfusions and IV iron infusions) as well as early onset osteoporosis.

I have stayed away from steriods and none of my physcians will prescribe any interferon drugs or immune suppressing drugs but say the protease inhibitors might be my chance if my bone marrow could handle them.

So, that’s my story. Not super encouraging, eh? But, it could be worse. The increasing neuropathy is a hassle (especially when I cut myself on my finger or other numb area and bleed my tainted blood!). The anemia and blood transfusions are a drag. I’ve been on Rituxan but no rise in platelets and my oncologist says I should have my spleend removed. My white count hovers at the dangerous level (below 1000 and ANC at or below 500). I’ve been on cellcelpt and imuran but all three of my blood counts drop too low to make that a viable option anymore. I was told today that the only option for me is to treat symptoms because the cure (for me, not necessarily others) is a bit of a long shot.

If you have these symptoms or similar ones and want to discuss them I would enjoy hearing from anyone.

How can I reply to a certain person’s post, when I do not have an e-mail address? I have tried 3 times now!! It is terribly frustrating.
Sandy