Decisions and Confusion. Help!

My last name is Anderson. I took my father’s name back after my divorce approx. 15 years ago because he was the only one who made me feel worthwhile and confident. He was my rock. But he died young.

My mother and her friends were alchoholics and liked to laugh at me because of my shortcomings and weight problem, and she slapped me across the face quite a bit. She treated my slim sister better. Often she made promises to me and didn’t keep them. I learned to live with disappointment.

My brother was overweight and an alchoholic too. He died at 35, approximately 14 years ago. He was undependable and always high on something. When he died, my mother sunk into a deep depression and ended up in a psch. hospital ward. She died 7 years ago.

Being away from her was the best thing for me so I married young at 19 and drove accross the country with my high school boyfriend and got married. I never had a “single party life” and stayed home with two kids until I was 33, waiting on everyone and babysitting other kids. Then I got a good job outside the home.

At 40, I decided to divorce my cold, drunken, impotent, and sullen husband because I wanted “a Life.” At first, things were great and I dated a lot, almost to the point of promiscuity. I refused marriage several times, but am now lonely. I am 59, and the fun is over.

I want to move back to the Southwest again, (I spent 3 yrs there after an early retirement) and can’t stand this raining and snowing in Illinois. I loved the sun there. But I know that this is just running away from my problems and that things are rarely as good as they were the first time.

Please, I need input from others, since I have very few friends and have been diagnosed with Major Depression. I have until 12/01/08 to decide about leaving my daugher (married and busy) and 1 yr. old granddaughter (distant and Mommy’s girl) and my estranged son (Never calls and lives 5 miles from me – he is always “busy”) I stopped calling him 3 months ago, and don’t expect to hear from him till X-mas, if ever. My sister is usually “busy” too.

Is this the choice I should make? I feel a sense of guilt even thinking about it. But maybe I have SAD too, and the lack of sunlight makes me feel horrible.

I was happier for the 3 years I spent recently in Spring Valley, Nevada. But who will help me pack? How can I have Christmas, which is expected of me?

My lease here runs out at the end of the year. I have a place ready for me for Jan thru April, '09 but can renew the lease and stay longer. Or I can come back May 1st and live here again for good.

Decisions, confusion, low self-esteem, and depression. That’s my story in a nutshell. Any suggestions? I hope somebody understands my dilemma.

I relate to you. My dad lived to see 49 years old. He was born with a
enlarged heart; he was told he probably would not make it until his 20’s. He
was a workaholic (owned his own business). I feel blessed to have had him in
my life; he too was my rock I hung onto his positives. I was 16 when he
died.
My mother always found fault with everything and everyone; when I was upset
from school, it was my dad who comforted me and talked to me, and told me
how to cope. I felt then, where is my mother? Why can’t she comfort me ?
After my dad, died, we moved from the country to the village. Life got
worse. Still her ranting and raving…Then I was told and compared to others,
she and her mom told me as I started dating, that no one could love me for
me, they were after money. My mother would call the cops if I was 5 minutes
late; she would not let me have friends over, and if I had a boy friend come
over, she would holler and flick lights etc. Needless to say when I
graduated, I wanted out of there…Right after graduation, I received a call
from an attorney firm offering me a job. They knew me from family business
appointments. I was excieted. Instead my mother told me that she would
disown me if I took the job. By then, I was built up with anger and pain of
loosing my dad; for some stupid reason I listened. Hurting only myself.
Needless to say, I married at 19, still was not free of her manipulation,
thats another story; that marraige lasted 8 years; (Life was only about
him)I had one son. I married a second time: He was so good looking, and
loving words etc; yes, boy if I knew what the future held I would have run
as fast as I could. Anyway, even before we married we fought;we had 2
children; he borrowed money,never paid it back; we were married eighteen
years. A few years into the marraige, all the good stuff came to an end.
Then began the insults; how worthless I was ; everything was my fault;
According to him I could not cook, clean, do anything. I got to the point
that I was close to a nervous breakdown; between putting up with my mother
and him treating me the same way. All I know is that I was angry and felt
internal pain. A realtor that had came to our home, asked to speak to me
alone, he did not like that; she gave me a card to see domestic violence; it
was that evident to strangers. I called and made an appointment while he was
at work. I learned that love is not supposed to hurt. I took the step to
leave, but it was very difficult; I had to find a job ( I was house wife for
18 years missed the computer era; so I lacked skills ) I found a
manufacturing job, got my own car ; got my own apartment; had some good
friends that gave me furniture. With the move came stalking, and destruction
of my property (car) Also telling the kids lies, trying to destroy their
relationship with me. He was doing a good job; The divorce happened; and to
bring it up to speed; it has been 10 years. Nothing has changed with his
attitude; he tells strangers and his new wife how much of a loser I was; I
can now start to laugh at him; that has only just started to happen. I too
remarried. I was terrified to remarry; but I did take the risk; My husband
is the complete opposite, and from the beginning I did not feel I was worthy
of his kindness and love and generosity. I do feel blessed. Together we put
up with the ex’s grief;; And finally to the point: I moved several times
trying to get away from my mother while I was married to my esx; she moved
where I moved; we kept coming back to the state we were born. When I married
my current husband, we moved three times out of state; he saw my pain and
wanted to make me happy, it did n’t work. The last time, I had one grandson;
I missed him terrible; I decided NO ONE was going to take my right as a
grandmother loving my grandson; I focus on my grandsons ( I now have 2 and
one on the way). I have moved 1 hour away from them; which ended up being
the best move I ever made. I am not in direct hit of my ex and the people
who wanted to destroy me; I am close enough to visit, if I CHOOSE TOO; or in
an emergency. It has not been easy, and there is soo much more I have had to
live through; but for the last 5 years I have been going to a wonderful
social worker; she has taught and help me cope with these people; I have
finally started to enjoy my life, I have learned about myself; amongst all
the same crap.
I wanted to share my experience about moving; only you can make the decision
what is best for you. ( I too have 2 sons who are " To busy to visit or call
" It hurts… I hope I have helped by sharing my life, and that you find
inner peace. I too have major depression, Anxiety disorder and pancic
disorder; post traumatic syndrome…I understand…
----- Original Message -----
To: mtdonnelly@frontiernet.net
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2008 2:00 AM
Subject: [npd] Decisions and Confusion. Help!

My grandchildren also live with the other grandparents; so I also understand
that situation too. You deserve to be happy and feel good. For myself,
getting an hour away has made a big difference. (After moving out of state
soo many times ) and for one reason or another it did not work for me/us ) I
too feel I had to move away from the pain; but I wanted to be close enough
in case of an emergency. The pain is still there and always will be; but I
feel a little stronger knowing I am making the choices. I am an only child;

You are not bothering me;

Peace to us all

Spitfire:

Thanks for sharing and your understanding. I guess this will be published on the board. I don’t care, and I hope you don’t either.

You really are a spitfire, and have gone through a lot of stressful things, even more than I have, I think.

I was married actually from 19 to 42, now that I think of it, 1968 to 1991 is 23 yrs, but the last 2 years, we had no relationship. He refused to move, so after one year, I moved out with my wonderful daughter. The point I am trying to make is that I was and still am afraid of getting married again, and have been quite free, especially since my mother died 7 years ago.

You, however, are still dealing with a jealous ex and a mother and new husband.
He must be a wonderful man. If so, hang on to him, as there are not many out there.

BTW, I had panic disorder for many years, (Panic attacks are AWFUL) but with medication I am OK now, but the depression hangs on and on even with meds.

You seem to be getting your life in order, and I am happy for you. I think I need a good talk therapist too, but they are expensive.

I see a psychiatrist approx. 4 times a year and we talk, and he is really very good, but it is not the same as a good Talk Therapist. Unfortunately, I have had a few Bad ones in the past. (the stories I could tell) The last one said I was looking for sympathy and on a “pity trip” or something like that. ACOA is a pity party too, and I shouldn’t go to it, even though I am an Adult Child of an Alcoholic. She was actually nasty.

I am wondering if you are, by any chance, from another country. I see that your profile is Private, and a few of the things you wrote made me think you may be from a place where women are subordinate or marriages are arranged. I don’t mean to pry, but I just would like to know more about you. Please?

Today I visited my daughter for about 2 hours before my 13 month old granddaughter went down for her nap. I live about 20 minutes from her and her husband. My newest problem is that my granddaughter shys away from me!!! Unbelievable. As if I haven’t had enough rejection in my life. I have never yelled at her, hit her, and always bring her a small gift. I hope it is just a phase she is going though because since I moved back here in June.

I try to visit once or twice a week. Things were good at first and she smiled and kissed me but for the last month she only wants “Mommy.”

I can’t deal with this much longer. Two hour visits are not enough, in my opinion, and I told my daughter so, but I think she thinks since I go to a psychiatrist and am on disability for Major Depression, I shouldn’t be alone with Layla. I always have “supervised” visits and NO visits from my son.

My heart is aching. I feel like running away again for a few years. I may do it.

I have tried. I don’t know why I seem to push people away, or they leave me. I am getting older. I am alone. I am a woman. I cannot do everything. Nobody cares.

I am rambling now. I don’t want sympathy, I just want someone to care if I am alive or dead. Seeing my sister maybe once a month doesn’t cut it either.

I must go now as I am upsetting myself. There is always tomorrow, and The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow. I love the play and movie “Annie.” Right now I feel like going back to southern Nevada, but tomorrow something may make me want to stay here.

Continue the wonderful progress you have made. You sound like a beautiful person, inside and out.

Peace and Love to you.

Judy

Hi Judy:
Well for me medicine for anything is out of the question. I have allergic
reactions to all antibiotics, and most over the counter. So, what you see is
what you get. I do a lot of reading self help books as well for depression,
anxiety etc. Are there any support groups in your area for depression etc ?
Finding a support group I find learning and sharing how to cope is
empowering, and you meet new people feeling the same way you do. I think
your grandaughter is probably going through a stage, I remember my first
grandson did; it hurts when it happens; but they are probably not aware ;
Before I moved, I would have to always compete with the step grandmother
(She is one of these peole who has to be A#1 always; my children are HER
children; my grandchildren are her Grandchildren; and her and my ex have
told peole that I am deceased, you can believe how low they are ? Yes, it
makes me angry, and hurt, now that I have moved, I see my grandchildren one
on one; no competition .
No, I am from NYS, born in USA; I do have a dutch heritage. Perhaps you are
picking up on how submissive I was all my life ? I just sat back and took
everything…
When you move do you feel better ? Or just for a little while ? Then you
miss your daughter and family ? I know it took me being around my grandsons
weekly till they became closer to me again.What things do you enjoy doing ?
Hang in there; if I can claw myself out you can too.
Peace to you.
----- Original Message -----
To: mtdonnelly@frontiernet.net
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2008 9:21 PM
Subject: Re: [npd] Decisions and Confusion. Help!

Hi again, Spitfire:

If you have a chance, think about this. I really don’t think my daughter would let her 13 month old who walks, etc. be alone with me for 2 hours, i.e. one on one. I would LOVE it.

I want you to know I have never been institutionalized, I have never tried to commit suicide and have never had a felony. I am not a “bad” person, but daughter doesn’t want to see Layla cry, which I know she would do for a while.

What really hurts is that her other grandparents watch her every day as Heather (my daughter) goes to work!!!

I swear, I don’t know if I can take being around here if things don’t change. Too many memories here too.

Do you know that last year I flew into Chicago 4 times and it cost at least $2,000, but nobody came for 2 yrs at all to see me.

I hate to be a winer, and do not complain (or try very hard not to) around those I care about.

I feel like I am in a disfunctional family, which started long ago when my mother was estranged from her father.

I need something more in my life. I am healthy and want to feel good. Or I need to get far enough away and see new things to be able to forget about them and the hurt I feel.

Sorry to bother you again.

I need to get some sleep.

Best Wishes,

Judy

P.S. Maybe tomorrow I will feel different. Should I strongly suggest the one on one visits with Layla? Thanks.

Judy, Hi I’m Cricket and lots of people care. I am one of them. Reading your story to Spitfire , you sound like we have alot in common.I have been out of the N house for 8 months now. But only No Contact for 2 weeks now.I was in the relationship for 6 long hurtful years. 3 years ago my oldest son was murderer.  I too, have a daughter who is estranged . And a grandaughter that is 4 yrs old and barely knows me. All this because I loved a man who is an N. I am so sorry for your hurts. I too have previously had panic attacts, am currently on depression meds. So others DO know what you feel. I have also been a adult child of Alc.Until I started therapy 3 yrs ago with XN, I didnt even know that i was. I have been to therapists and I really dont think they know what to do for us. So they have to project something else. Its wrong. We just want valadation. That we do matter. And sometimes our families don’t understand the whole thing of what living with an N
puts us thru. I’m here for “talk therapy” if you need it.  Love and Blessings to everyone, Cricket

— On Sat, 11/8/08, judywilling1 npd-cpt10942@lists.careplace.com wrote:

Subject: Re: [npd] Decisions and Confusion. Help!
To: heyroxann@yahoo.com
Date: Saturday, November 8, 2008, 6:21 PM