Dercums -- Encapsulated or not encapsulated lipomas

Are your lipomas encapsulated or not. The first two that I developed are encapsulated. The newest one that has developed on the upper left side of my abdomen seems to be unencapsulated, and appears to be a rubbery fat pad.

They can be any of three types. Encapsulated, unencapsulated, and fat pads.

Pam…when you get time could you give a little description of the three types? Some of my big squishy ones feel like a egg with a yoke around it. Some of them are as hard as marbles. Some of them are so numerous in groups like a rug and some of them are all in a row along a major nerve like the sciatic nerve. Is that common to have a variety of types? Hugs and Thanks, G Sylvia

at the moment all mine are like hard lumps and are painful. fortunately i have had a couple of almost free days of pain this week, but was followed by the most excrutiating pain for two days, i have been drugged on painkillers so have been really lethargic and sleepy

Okay, Sylvia, I copied this from another site because they explain it so much better than I do. I think, the more advanced your DD is, the more likely you are to have two or all three types. I also have all three.

The following is copied from

http://www.dercumshope.org/whatisit .php

Dercum’s has been classified into three types, based on the location and character of the painful fatty tissue. One can have a mixture of two types, such as type 2 and type 3. These are:

Type I, or the juxta-articular type, with painful folds of fat on the inside of the knees and/or on the hips, in rare cases only evident in upper-arm fat.

Type II, or the diffuse, generalized type, where widespread pain from fatty tissue is found, apart from that of type I, also often in the dorsal upper-arm fat, in the axillary (armpit)and gluteal
(buttocks) fat, in the stomach wall, in dorsal (side) fat folds, and on the soles of the feet. This is the most common type. The painful fat can be spread out to resemble ordinary obesity at first
glance, and can also occur as distinct lumps arising from the subcutaneous fat.

Type III, or the lipomatosis, nodular type, with intense pain in and around multiple lipomas, sometimes in the absence of general obesity; lipomas are approximately 0.5-4 cm, soft, and attached to the surrounding tissue.

I have all 3 too! :frowning:

I have all three types too.

please go to www.dercumshope.org and then click on what is it in the links section on the left side of page

http://www.dercumshope.org/whatisit this is not a good link it should be www.dercumshope.org and then click on what is it in section on left side

Sorry about the bad link, Davana. That article was saved in my files for quite a while. the link my have changed. Thanks for the correction. I appreciate it.