Dercums -- Let's talk about eyes

Dry eyes, yeah, we know that’s a possible symptom. But what about puffy eyes? My eyelids have become so heavy, that when I had my last eye exam, the doctor’s assistant had to hold my eyes open so that he could actually examine the eye.

And speaking of that last visit - I got new glasses last fall - late October, early November. Not quite sure. I know I need an adjustment already. My vision is rapidly deteriorating. Part of the reason I’m going back so soon is because he had an idea something was happening but wasn’t quite ure what. Do any of you know of specific eye maladies related to DD?

I hate having my photo taken anymore - I have dark circles beneath my eyes and then there are these tiny slits that are my eyes. Not at all attractive.

:wink:

me

I have had dark circles under my eyes for some time now. I have also noticed my eyesight is getting worse, especially at night. I wear glasses as it is for reading, watching tv, or reading from my comp. My computer screen was about 2 feet away and i had to squint to see it. I have now a laptop which means i am closer to the screen. My eyes get really dry, I am constantly using eye rinse, my lenses get uncomfortable i find i dont wear them as much now.

I still have to convince the docs of all the symptoms…lol

I have dry eyes, they sometimes have a sticky feel to them. I started getting eye floaters, that get really bad at times. My opthamologist counldn’t find anything wrong though. I do see him again next week. Hopefully there is something he can do about these floaters. I will definately ask about restasis for my dry eyes.

My vision is getting worse, but I thought is was because I was 47. My eyes always feel dry and blurry. I never thought of it as a DD symptom, but everything is connected somehow. Its interesting, but a mystery.

Mine too something about the fat behind our eyeballs being affected by the DD

The annoying dry eye causes eye infections al the time. I have these little round white things attached to the inner part of the inside of the eye socket. Restasis did not help me. My eyes are very very dry. I have had plugs inserted in my tear ducts several times in an effort to keep tears in the eyes. I use eye drops all the time but my eyes are always grainy. My floaters are bad and my vision has gotten bad. I need cataract surgery but wonder how I will be able to stand not rubbing my eyes for awhile. They won’t give me a new RX until I get my cataracts done. I have Sjogren’s syndrome which is dry eyes and mouth and joints. This is associated with DD and fibromyalgia. Hugs, Sylvia

Davana, I suspected as much - my doc’s been watching my eyes - especially the right one, for what they call “changes” but it’s nothng he’s been familiar with. I told him about Dercum’s, and when I explained it, and asked about having fat in the eye he said, “You have fat nearly everywhere in the body. Even the brain.” (Now that’s a scarier thought!)

My last eyeglasses cost $700. Six months ago! Dang. Makes me want to throw up to think of doing hat again. I’ll order new glasses online if I have to. Our insurance only paid for the doc. Every two years.

Losing my vision is one of my worst nightmares - everything I like to do requires my sight.

me

found the article for you about retrotubullar fat around our eyeballs and this pretty much spells out all our symptoms

Hugs Me
Davana

Can someone please post the info in here ?? Is that asking too much? I cant seem to find it having a bad night - nervous, I am seeing a bunch of drs this week and next.

I know i have Dercum’s. I know that everytime I have had my eyes checked for the last 10 years or so the drs. always look at them real funny and ask me if I have a lot of floaters. One even told me I had a partially detached retina. The next one said he didn’t see anything like that. So can someone post simply in here what we know about dercums and eyes ??

Thanks and hugs.
Calle/Carin in AZ

Thanks Davana…I will read the article and I appreciate your help…and I know Calle does too! Hugs

hey all maybe I am blind (not an intentional pun) but I cant see the link or the information about eyes and Dercums. I did some searching and really didnt find it either.

so sorry to be such a pain in the neck !

Calle//Carin in AZ

http://www.genome.gov/17516629 another one and has most of the good links listed below it too lipoma forum dercums hope etc. this is about all of the info out there right here hope this link works it i on http.www.dercunshope.org under resources though on left side let me know if you get this ok

Hugs
Davana