Dercumsworld.com

Hey everyone,
I am getting ready to put a new website up and running for us. This one will be called dercumsworld.com. I am doing this to compile info INTERNATIONALLY and across websites. I want to have the different research I have done as well as info YOU All want to put on there about dercum’s disease. I put on there that this is a united effort and I want to share our experiences and our doctors with the rest of the world. I want to take this website a little further with a spot for donations for Dr. Herbst and awareness. I already purchased the domain so it is OURS to the making. Help me with any ideas of what you would like to see and I will see what I can do to make it happen. I have made a logo. I will add it to my pictures for everyone to see. Watch for it.

If you get in a bind.my son knows all about web design and he could help you also. He was over the program managers at AOL for many years before they moved near Washington. Fortunately for me he did not want to move there. So I still get to see the grandkids a lot. Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

I just checked out the logo - VERY NICE!

I checked out the site but I think it is still very much in the works (right now it just has related searches on it).  I can't wait to see it evolve :)

Sorry to go off subject Cgold but tomorrow I am making my appt with the Dr you found for me in Memphis that treats Dercums…I just had to save up the money to go and now I am ready to get this stuff finally looked at and checked…Thank you for checking for me…and thanks for another website that people can go to for more info on DD…I wrote a letter to Dr Oz at Oprah but havent heard a word…I think unless its popular they wont answer…Figures…

EJohnson,
I am so glad that you are going to the doctor! Let me know what they say. Take all the updated info with you when you go.

Suri,
I just bought the domain yesterday and am in the process of building the webpage. It will probably take a few weeks (I also have my best friend coming into town for 10 days…I am so excited) to get the site up and running. I would am going to keep everyone posted on how it is going…I might just post what I have and you can tell me what you think so far.

anyone who has experience with web pages let me know too. I am a beginner at this and am doing my best to make it super! I am really open to anyone who wants to help with this.

I have HTML experience… Nothing fancy though ( no web 2.0 )

I got AS Computer Electronics; so you can’t expect much for webdesign… But I can do some…

I’ll gladly help.

I have some experience, but it has been a long time. If you come across a problem or need help just ask and I will help if I can. :slight_smile:

Thanks so much.

I am downloading frontpage right now and I have everything all set up for 2 years now…I am figuring this out as I go.

I already pulled the code over into front page. Still can’t get it to publish. I think it is a setting that isn’t updated. It might also be the name servers might not be finished updating… if it’s that I have banged my head against the wall all day for nothing. I am going to give it a few days for that info to update and try it again on tuesday. Nothing worse than banging your head for nothing.

ok… I’m quite rusty… so this post may actually just show everyone how rusty I am…

I assume you are trying to use Frontpage to actually upload the site?

You have to make sure that the server side supports Frontpage extensions.

If you created the index.html file from within Frontpage, you may need to re-code the links…

But since you can’t get far enough to actually view the index.html file on the actual website…

Are you using FTP to put the index.html file up? Or are you using some web-based upload portal? If all else fails, you should be able to throw a real basic place-holder index.html of only text… through the web-based upload portal.

I actually do have a freebie website or two on the net… just haven’t updated them in months…

I stay away from Frontpage, as I always have to re-code the links by hand before uploading…

Then again, none of the servers I have used (freebies) have Frontpage Extensions loaded AND enabled!

To summarize-
check to see if frontpage is supported by your server (should literally have “Frontpage extensions supported” listed somewhere in your papers, as well as what version of Frontpage to use- sometimes Frontpage EXPRESS will not work)

see if you are able to connect to the server space directly through FTP (password and user name accepted? go to ftp://dercumsworld.com:8080 and use your username and password- while there, CHANGE your password to something extremely long and nonsense)

lastly, if everything else fails, see if you can use the web-based portal to access the site.

If you can access the site through FTP but not Frontpage, you may not be able to use Frontpage to upload directly into the site.

If you cannot access the site through FTP or the web, then your account is not yet activated. Some sites wait for payment to clear- upto 3 days (not including weekends).

If you can access it just fine, browse, and upload… check if you can see the files you uploaded in the directory listing. If the files are there (using filesizes for comparison, as well as date and time stamp if available), then your assumption of ‘update takes time’ is correct.

I hope I helped out here… just trying to see through the fog…

Thank you CG for taking these steps to help us all.

also, if your server isn’t dynamic (it doesn’t change IPs), you should be able to go directly to it…

regardless as to whether any DNS server updated or not.

http://###.###.###.###:8080

trailing zeroes should not be needed in this case.

if you prefer to contact me offlist…

)if anyone wants to contact me offlist(

__Ben.Rossington@gmail.com

just put Dercums in the subject or something.

and remove all the _'s

(I can’t figure out PMs to save my life. I’m just being dumb. I ‘lost’ 2 PMs??)

you see Ben, you can do it for Christine and for others, go get em!!! Good luck Christine, I’m lost with all the things I just read, ha ha. I’m so glad you are doing this as we all need as much help and info as we can get. Hey, I took photos of myself and I now know I am your “mini me”…unfortunately I forgot to put the camera card in so i will have to do them again, look for them soon. Boy, it is when you look at your own photos that the disease sets in, I could see DD all over and perhaps Madelungs.love ya, Bev

thanks ben…I will need to have my husband read that and see if I can do it. I think you are right though about the frontpage extensions. I went ahead and got their sitebuilder. I will have to rework everything I already did but I think that it will be much easier. I don’t have the patients to bang my head. Stress just makes this worse. Thanks though for your detailed message. I am working on it.

Mini me.
LOL. too cute. I always wanted a mini me. LMAO! I have company in town until next Sunday. I will be able to talk more then.

Glad I can help out!

:slight_smile: