DHEA Safety

Good Morning All,

Please forgive me if this is a question that has been posted before but I am new here!!

I have been tested for adrenal (Addison’s in specific) disorders and am awaiting the results. In the meantime I have began taking supplements of DHEA and have noticed a BIG difference. Lot’s more energy. Less pain,can think a little clearer. Has anyone got some feedback on the safety or their experience on DHEA? The web is full of “confusion” on this topic. I notice my best response on 25 mg 2x per day. Thanks for listening!!!

Sherry

If you have Addison’s then 25 mgs DHEA is important to take. You no longer make it. DHEA is NOT controversial for Addisonians; it is missing.
If your skin becomes oily and you develop strong B.O. then reduce the dose.

I have primary addison’s and Type I Diabetes. I originally started taking 25 MG DHEA from GNC and didn’t notice much of a change. I switch to Natrol brand DHEA with 25 MG/day (available at Walgreen’s) and noticed a BIG difference. The Natrol brand is lab tested to verified. So I would say your sourcing of DHEA, since it an over the counter product, is very important.

Also, you should have your DHEA levels checked with your lab work before you start taking the product for a baseline, and after your start taking it to make sure it is making a difference.

Finally, I would recommend splitting your dose of DHEA into a morning and afternoon pill, just like one would do with your hydrocortisol. I believe a dose of DHEA will last about 5-6 hours in your bloodstream.

I believe the half-life of DHEA or it’s downstream active metabolite DHEAS is 22 hours which would make splitting the dose unnecessary.

I called Natrol customer support phone # on that was on the bottle and asked them how long DHEA would remain in your body. She told me that the maximum amount of time is 22 hours, however, the minimum about of time is 7 hours. She said there are several factors that affect the breakdown of the DHEA and the amount of time that it remains in the body. These factors include the amount of food you are digesting, and your rate of metabolism. She was familiar with the use of DHEA in the treatment of Addison’s disease and seem knowledgeable on the subject of DHEA.

Thanks for bringing up the point.