DI and Diet Coke

Hello all,

I can’t believe how much I crave Diet Coke with my DI. My second issue is I get sick of having a “shared” disease with the other diabetes…we need a new name for people that confuse the two.

Steph

I have had that same huge desire to “clean the scum” from my mouth with a Coke. I never drank it before DI. I researched and found Root Beer to be the least unhealthy of these drinks so I am happy with that.

Kat, you are newly diagnosed? Do you see an Endocrinologist? Where are you ? I just feel like maybe your not getting the correct orders? They seem so off from what I have been told ? Does it sound a bit odd to anyone else? I cannot understand the drink restrictions if you are curbing your thirst with the ddavp! Is it not working ? Help me help you-? Do you have any other illnesses that could be interfering? Kim

I HEAR YOU ?? ARE YOU ON A FLUID RESTRICTION AT ALL??
I AM ONLY 700CC LET ME KNOW OK>>

YES I DO, I HAVE ALSO THYROID DISEASE AS WELL. MY PITULARY IS SHRUNK AND I CANNOT STOP GOING TO THE BATHROOM AND CRAVE DRINKS IN LARGE AMOUNTS. I AM SEEING A NEW ENDRO AND HE IS SO NICE AND TOLD ME WITH THE FLUID RESTRICTION BE VERY CAREFUL AND SO DID THE PHARMACIST AS WELL. I ALSO HAVE A FISTULA NEXT TO MY BOWEL AND HAS A HOLE IN IT AS WELL AND HAVE ULCERS TOO. I AM 56 AND FEEL LIKE 86. YES I GO TO THE BEST PLACE AROUND THE WORLD JOSLIN CLINIC IN BOSTON FOR DIABETES INSIPIDUS AND SEE ALOT OF DOCS THERE. I AM ON THE SPRAY AND YOU DO NOT CRAVE DRINKS??? I AM SO THIRSTY RIGHT NOW ,ONLY HAD 1 SMALL CUP OF COFFEE AND NEED MORE. JUST STARTED THE SPRAY LAST NIGHT AND HAD A FEW SIDE EFFECTS TO THE MEDICATION.
I DID GO TO THE BATHROOM DURING THE NIGHT AT 1PM AND THEN AGAIN AROUND 3 AND THAT WAS IT TILL I WOKE UP COMPLETELY. SO WHAT YOU ARE TELLING ME NO ONE IS ON FLUID RESTRICTIONS CORRECT???

I crave sodas when I’m w/o DDAVP too! It feels so good going down!!!

NO, With DI you should NOT be on fluid restricitions. That is really dangerous. Even controlled on my medicine I can often drink 2 gallons or more of water or other liquids. I do notice that when I hit a really bad dehydration pit that I crave soda (not diet coke as I don’t like it, but others). The carbonation in it calms down my mouth. As your endo when you see him to get you off fluid restrictions or at least up it if he can. Also, as about the pill. It is so much easier in my opion than the spray.

I really crave regular club soda when I am low on DDAVP. Also It cannot be too cold. In response to the fluid restriction, I have always been told I could have as much to drink as I wanted. Maybe ask another Endo what they think. The pill form is a Godsend. Made air travel a lot easier:)