DI and really dry skin, anybody?

Hi everyone,
I know you’re probably thinking, everyone over 30 gets dry skin but since having DI, I have lost all my body moisture, especially my face, lips (I apply lip balm every hour at work) and hands! I used to have very oily skin and so does my mother still, she looks 10 years younger, I look 10 years older! Anyone else the same?

I have really dry skin too. But I was told dry skin is a symptom of my
hypothyroidism. But is could be a combination of both this condition and my
CDI. I’m almost 42 and the skin on my face is OK (I still get carded once
in a while) but my hands look like their 62.

-----Original Message-----
From: Della [mailto:diabetes-insipidus-cpt8879@lists.careplace.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 5:46 AM
To: jonifuller@comcast.net
Subject: [diabetes-insipidus] DI and really dry skin, anybody?

I know that when I don’t take my DDAVP my hands get really really dry and shrivled which I have always taken as a sign of dehydration. I noticed it because I had forgotton my medicine one morning and didn’t have it all day. By the end of the day I could pinch the skin on the top of my hands and it would’nt spring back it would just stay there.

Della diabetes-insipidus-cpt8879@lists.careplace.com wrote:

Thanks girls,
At least I can say my old hands arn’t through my own neglect as I know after all those tubes of creme and gloves, I did try! Will try baby oil now though, cool.

yep what becca said i have the same thing on my hands and my back and my legs.they turn white flaky if i forget to lotion them i use baby oil too alot.seems to help some.not so much on my face and i used to have oily skin also,and yes it is a side effect of thyroid trouble too which i have.try using oil of olay dry skin body wash then soon as you get out of shower baby oil all over.

I think the worst for me is actually my feet though. I have been able to moisturize my hands over time, but I cannot get moisture back into my feet. They are cracked and ugly! Let me know if anyone has a miracle solution for the dryness.

The best solution for dry feet.

Slather LIBERALLY petroleum jelly on your feet, and put on clean cotton
socks, or wrap your feet in saran wrap if you don’t have cotton socks!

Then, sleep!

One night makes amazing results . . .
Best wishes,
Stephanie

Wondering what’s for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on
family favorites at AOL Food.

(http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)

the sock thing works well on hands too but use gloves not socks lol i guess socks would work but you would look funny=)

I have been using hand and body lotion (glycerine and honey) for years for my hands and feet. I never stop using it, because I when I do, I feel very uncomfortable, dry and rough. I always put extra moisturizer (oil of olay) on the face and another extra cream (scholl foot cream) on the feet particularly on the figures and heel. I do it as often as possible and before bed is a must. In fact my body skin need the moisturizers as well…but I don’t do it for obvious reason. And just like Becca and DarkAngle, I could pinch my skin……I God…I feel so old when I look at it. Nevertheless no matter how much I try, I still feel the dryness, but at least it helps. May be I can try petroleum jelly after this.

I use “Bliss” hand cream and it has made a huge difference. You can find it on the internet just google “BLISS” They also make gloves and socks that have a gel lining that seems to help retain the moisture. My feet are another story - they are always dry and cracked. You should see the ladies at the Nail Salon - they are all staring at my feet as they are sloughing off massive amounts of skin and speaking in a language that I do not understand. Well you know what they are talking about!!! The freak feet!!! You’ve got to have some humor with the DI thing!!!

AMEN!
People just dont understand what we go thru thats for sure.

Oh yes dry skin on my legs and feet…even though swollen with water…it kind of peaks…never thought I would be put skin moisturizer…YIkes!!

It’s kinda cool to know we are all dry and scaley together!
Had another breakthrough, the hairdressers said my scalp was dry flakey and ichy, I started their new conditioner “PPS Hrdra lite” also from Price atack/ Price Line, just amazing! Do try it! (I sound like a commerical).