Diagnosis in infancy?

Hi all…
I just joined this group this evening, because in my spare time tonight, I think I may have identified the birthmark on my 6 month old son’s upper arm as a beckers nevus. When he was born, he had a nuchal(along side the head) arm, and has had a raised spot of slightly darker skin just above his elbow about the size of a quarter since birth. I thought it was from the position during birth, that it was maybe like a callous or something, that it might heal or go away. Instead it’s been getting larger, the skin is getting thicker and rougher, and now it’s growing hair that is darker than the hair on his head.

I’ve only been reading about this for about the past half hour, and I’ve always had great success learning about things on the web by joining groups on the topic of interest. I’m hoping someone can point me towards someplace where I can get a definite diagnosis, or at least a better clue. I understand that there are also giant hairy nevii, so I guess I need to keep an eye on this thing to see what happens with it??

Any input or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Hollie

My seven month old daughter was diagnosed with a Becker’s on her left shoulder last month. It appeared as a small patch of light brown hair when she was 8 weeks old and is now about the size of a quarter. We saw a pediatric dermatologist (even though our pediatritian said it was nothing) and they are going to follow her on a yearly basis. I would get it looked at, especially because of the increased risk of melanoma. Good luck!

It might not be beckers nevus, BN has no elevated risk of malignancy.
However, giant hairy nevus comes in infancy and is associated with
occasional melanoma.

----- Original Message -----
From: “lizzierosa” beckers-nevus-cpt7620@lists.careplace.com
To: afchai@verizon.net
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 7:53 PM
Subject: Re: [beckers-nevus] Diagnosis in infancy?

Thanks for your input but we are playing it safe and watching her carefully either way.