Dilaudid

20 mg of dilaudid on a PCA with 10mg bolus don’t seem to cut all of the pain for my 26 year old son with stage IV ES. Any ideas on what may work for you would be great.

That is tough I am not sure I have an answer but I just feel so sadly that your son is in such great pain…I will be praying for relief for him and you as it must pain you to see your child in such pain…

Despite the longevity of Dilaudid as an effective pain treatment with few side effects, the stuff made me sick. I have Adhesive Arachnoiditis, the number of medications form a list just too long to write.
I’m now on 40 mg.'s of methadone, 1000 mg.'s of Keppra, and up to 1600 mcg of oral fentanyl, for breakthrough. These are the components of my daily “cocktail”.
I can usually get by on 800 mcg of Fentanyl/day, unless I’ve overdone it. I’m on the downside of a day when I just walked too far; a trip through Greenwich Village showing my son where I squandered my college years. (CBGB is long gone).
I’m bedded down but will be back on my feet in a day or so. Now, I need the drugs, as much as I hate them. But it was worth it…I’d do it again knowing the price in pain that would follow.
See, for me, that’s just it with unrelenting pain; once I began to find my limits and developed a sense of the after-effects, I could make an informed descision, Do it, or don’t. Spend life in bed or toss the chips on the table and do something.

For my son just 50mcg by patch made him very sick.

-----Original Message-----

From: Chronic Pain lifestyle chronicpain-cpt4173@lists.careplace.com
Sent: Jun 12, 2007 9:14 PM
To: hcarmine@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: [chronicpain] Dilaudid