Do you look forward to Holidays or Dread them?

The Holidays can hold lots of anxiety for some of us.

Do you share this feeling?

How do you deal with your anxiety during these social gatherings and times with lots of company?

I dread them !

~chuckle~ typing with nails is hard, and the click click sound on the keyboard is different too. You are sweet to let her do them as she wishes! Eating out sounds nice too. i’ve never done that…

DREAD I miss my mom and I have to go to others house and they dont make things easy

THIS YEAR WE ARE ALL GOING OUT FOR DINNER THANKSGIVEIN. XMAS AND NEW YEARS DAY SO I WILL NOT HAVE TO COOK , CLEAN UP, OR PAY WHICH I NEVER HAD TO, MOM BOUGHT ALL THE FOOD.  I MIGHT EVEN BE ABLE TO ENJOY THE HOLIDAYS EVEN THOUGH THERE IS ALOT OF STRESS GOING ON IN MY LIFE.  I DON’T THINK I COULD HANDLE THE HOLIDAYS IF I HAD TO COOK LIKE I DO EVERY YEAR. ESPECIALLY THIS TIME AROUND.

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING MY GIRLFRIENDS DAUGHTER DID MY NAILS. I AM HER GINNY PIG SO TO SPEAK. SHE DID A GREAT JOB. SHE MAKES THEM TOO LONG BUT I DON’T HAVE TO PAY AND I HATE TO SAY ANYTHING CAUSE SHE IS SO SWEET AND THEY LIKE THEM LONG.

THIS WILL BE A FIRST TO EAT OUT. I AM LOOKING FOWARD TO IT. I ALWAYS COOKED AND HAD HELP CLEANING UP BUT YOU REALLY CAN’T ENJOY. BESIDE AS I COOK I EAT SO BY THE TIME DINNER IS DONE I AM FULL LOL.

I do not like Holidays; they are very sad for me. Since my abusive divorce
in 1997, my ex has had the kids at his house for the holidays; I always had
to do it another day. Mostly, I sit home and cry on the holidays. We moved
this year. (My new husband of 10 years) We have no expectations, his
children are about 2 hours from where we live, and the other lives in
Boston. As for social gatherings, I get anxiety being around crowds. I just
try and focus on something or someone to start with, then I start to relax
and then I seek the friendlier faces first, and after awhile I am okay. But
I am exhausted when I am done with the socializing. A real drain mentally…I
will see how it is on November 15th; I am actually having my grandsons
birthday party here at my house. Yes, I am getting a little more family
gatherings coming my way. There will be about 12 people , some are strangers
to me, friends of my daughter’s. I am hoping one day to feel comfortable. I
have a movement disorder called essential tremor ; so that adds to my
anxiety. But, I refuse to let it stop me; I let it stop me once; never
again; let them stare… I quess I have to develop an assertive attitude at
times.
Look forward to emailing.
----- Original Message -----
To: mtdonnelly@frontiernet.net
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2008 11:11 AM
Subject: [anxiety] Do you look forward to Holidays or Dread them?

ohh the anxiety with my brothers inlaws yes I got that to but used to that its mostly missing my mom that bugs me and my sister I miss fighting with her over the skin on the turkey my other sister would rather stay in bed

I’d go for a huge Thanksgiving picnic in the bed!!! But that would require someone to cook it and deliver it to my lazy self in the bed!

I’d like to have everyone who’s passed to reappear and have just one more Thanksgiving with everyone…

yes my mom to cook and buy me an icecream cake cuz my birthday is close to thanksgiving or sometimes on it would be great to badd that can’t happen but then we’d greive all over again for them so maybe not

Yes, it would be nice to have Thanksgiving with the people that have passed,
where they can see and meet their grandchildren and great grandchildren;
But are they already aware ?
----- Original Message -----
To: mtdonnelly@frontiernet.net
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2008 1:03 PM
Subject: Re: [anxiety] Do you look forward to Holidays or Dread them?

I always dread the holidays. It’s pretty lonely. It’s just me and my daughter, and now that she is older she usually goes over to a friends house, which is fine by me, and I go out and fish or just go out on the water and stare. It’s a loney time for me.

I have mixed feelings about them. I can’t afford gifts, and I don’t look forward to any company that may show up since this creates anxiety and avoidance of them as much as possible. It’s also a lonely time for me. My kids have both severed contact with me, and I can’t help but get really sad about that. I have great childhood memories of the holidays and my life now is so far removed from that time, it saddens me more as time passes. I know we can’t bring the past back, but I remain locked into it in many ways.

Tim, I know what you mean, I remember Christmas decor and special dishes, gifts wrapped beautifully, and if you got house shoes as a gift, each one was wrapped in a different package so there were a jillion presents. There are so many good, crowded, family memories… now, well it’s not like that any more at all.

i am not good in normal social situations so holidays are like 10 times worse for me and I am usualy around family but they are loud and usualy drink and I dont, how I get through it my meds I take my valium and a deep breath and dont force my self to stay if I cant handle it but I only adopted this method last year all the others I found myself crying in a ball on my bedroom floor crying.

I very much look forward to the holidays, especially Christmas, but it doesn’t come without anxiety, that’s a for sure…!