Does Cortisone Help with pain from Dercum's Disease?

I have a horrible pain period. I do not why.
I know that cortisone tablets help me.
My doctor says that they should not help me if I have DD.

I would like to know how you react to cortisone and
what kind of pain killers You use.

Cortisone tablets are on the table…

Arieldiva

I have to take steriod every three weeks as a pre-dose for another treatment. I had told Dr. Herbst that it seems to help with the pain in my lipomas and she said “Steroid does help with pain but it increases lipomatotic fat in my opinion.” She recommended using doxycycline for a week after my administration of steriod.

Arieldiva,

Cortisone will help a lot in the short term. When I am forced to take it for a bad asthma attack, I find that I feel better all over for a short period of time. (a few days to a week) However, cortisone has been shone to cause us to flare, and more tumors and pain will surely follow. Many of us are convinced that steroids were the trigger that sent our DD into overdrive in the first place. Dr Herbst says they should be avoided if possible. Please think long and hard about the long term effects of using steroids and make your decision from there.

Pamela

Hi Thanks for answers. It seems that doctors don’t know everything :slight_smile:

We do not have doxycycline here, but Vibramycin. The bad news is that there is no way in hell I can get
a doctor write antibiotics if it isnot regulated so in the health system. He/she looses license.More ba d new is that I have severe antibiotics allergy can only take Keflex.

And I also wonder: I have got big dosages predinisolon to my joint problems and back pain. Some period I have been diagnoses with Rheumatoid atrit. I know of max 10 lipomas, but lot of burning aching fat tissue…
I have got a bit round in my face (the moon face)
but otherwise no bigger effect.

In 90’s I ate vibramycin for 6 months, maybe I have “killed” something … I do nor really know.

I am totally mad today. We have a wonderful summer day today and wait for thunder tomorrow…I cannot remember pain this bad even before a big snowstorm!

I have tried to say to my doctor that cortisone does help but he does not listen, now I am going to say it again…:slight_smile:

thanks!

Arieldiva,

Isn’t the moon face a symptom of Cushing’s Disease? I know another DD sufferer who has steroid induced Cushings and you would not believe the serious problems she has had with that.
If you also have Rheumatoid Arthritis, I’m sure the steroids help with that. I am just concerned about what else they may be doing to you. I hope you feel better soon. I know how incoming storms can make us hurt!

Pamela

Arieldiva,

The lady I spoke of is out of town at the present time, and out of reach even by email. when I hear form her again, I will ask her if its okay to give you her email address. If so, I will send it to you privately. She is something of an expert on this steroid issue and I think she will want to talk to you too.

Pamela

I have a a lot of Rheumatism in my family. I have disfigured fingers, toes, shoulders, and a bad pain in all over. They do not know if it is RA In our family the Ra factor shows very late. My doctor said it is DD. I got the moon face of large amounts of cortisone. Have seen it also in my family. I have trouble with my cortisol levels of and on. I would like to talk /mail to this other person with similar difficulties.
I am full aware of risks, of osteoporosis and other things, but what should one do?

Any way we have thunder coming from south and rain from north… I have taken a low dosage of cortisone and begin to function,but pain is still there.

Thanks
Arieldiva