Dr. Herbst's article is out!

It costs $35.00 to order the full article …I just didnt have it or I would have…here is the website address

http://www.theendocrinologist.org/pt/re/endocrinologist/home.htm;jsessionid=HWGLWdhzdLrGFjpJYTPz36QJchtm1Ww235hnnbSRVPTTcrJ4pFmQ!65375592!181195628!8091!-1

click on tab at top that says Current Issue

Thank you I sent an email asking if she would post the full article online.That is only an abriveated portion of the article…Its so good to get some info on this…Im down with another respiratory infection…

Hi Davana,

Good luck with your visit! Wish I could afford to join you! Tell Dr. Herbst hello from me and thanks for the article!

Here is the article in Endocrinologist

Adiposis Dolorosa Is More Than Painful Fat.

CME Review Article #31
Endocrinologist. 17(6):326-334, November/December 2007.
Herbst, Karen L. MD, PhD *+; Asare-Bediako, Sheila BS ++
Abstract:

Objective: To describe signs and symptoms of adiposis dolorosa (AD) in a large cohort of individuals with this disorder to increase recognition, diagnosis, and research of this syndrome.

Design: Survey.

Subjects: One hundred ten men and women with AD.

Measurements: The survey included questions on demographics, obesity, signs and symptoms in soft tissues and body systems, susceptibility to infection, diet, treatments and lifestyles, medical and family history, habits, and exercise.

Results: Subjects were white, non-Hispanic except for 3 Hispanics and 2 African Americans, and mostly women (82.7%) of northern European ancestry living in the United States (87.3%), average age 48.5 +/- 10 years. The majority of respondents were obese, body-mass index of 34.7 +/- 8.7 kg/m2 and had AD for 14.5 +/- 11.9 years. Onset of growths began primarily in the arm or leg at a mean age of 34.5 +/- 12.8 years (range, 7-67 years). The majority reported pain, fatigue, weight gain (25.7 +/- 15 kg), multiple growths, and weakness at onset. The median number of palpable growths was 77.3 +/- 84.5 in subcutaneous fat from scalp to dorsal foot. Growths ranged from firm and pea-sized to large, fixed, and deep. Pathology descriptions of growths included lipoma, fibrolipoma, or angiolipomas. Autoimmune disease and fibromyalgia were prominent (38.2%), as was diabetes (16.4%). Almost all respondents reported exercise-associated pain in growths, and 100% saw no decrease in growths with weight loss. Over 75% had liposuction and over half reported regrowth. Almost half reported family members with growths.

Conclusion: Our survey results suggest AD is a painful syndrome involving growths in all subcutaneous fat. It can be inherited or sporadic, beginning in the third decade of life, but can occur in children and is accompanied by obesity, fatigue, joint and muscle aches, and other signs and symptoms affecting multiple organ systems. Exercise induces pain and has no effect on fatty growth size. The etiology of this syndrome remains unknown.

© 2007 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc.

I am on my way in a couple hours to see Dr Herbst and will let you all know what I find out. I have to go to sleep now, so till later, I am sending this to you all.
Love & Hugs
Davana

Hey ya’ll if anyone wants the article …Dr Herbst sent me a copy and I will gladly share send me your email addresses to jhelai9@aol.com and put in the subject line you want a copy of the article…I am so greatful for Dr Herbst…

Hi…I can’t get the email to go thru to you for a copy of the article??

I printed the full article (thanks EJohnson!) and took it to my PCP this morning. He asked a lot of questions, and seemed very interested. He was mostly concerned that we’re on target with the way he’s treating me. I think we are, far as I can tell. :slight_smile:

It was great to be able to give him some concrete information about this condition! And I could tell he was really glad to get it.

Thanks again to Dr Herbst and to EJohnson!

me