Dyslexia and Homeducation

Any homeschoolers out there with Dyslexic kids? I need advice! Cshells!

We believe my son to be dyslexic are you struggling too? I know it is tough for us. We are just starting an OG program that is called Wilson Reading System. :slight_smile:
My son is 9 and is going into fourth grade next year but is reading at about 1.9 level.
Tracey

If you are still checking this thread, I have two children that I homeschool that are dyslexic. One is 17 and the other is 10. How old is your child?

raylynh,
My boys are 11 and 9. We just traveled to the DIA to get them evaluated and are waiting the results …
Tracey

Hi, I am new to this post, but I am so excited about the Davis Dyslexia Correction Program. My 19 year old daughter did it, and had her friends work with her daily. Her trigger words are no longer arduous for her. She has made great changes in herself, and this was after she did many other programs,… Wilson, Pace, etc…
I myself am getting into the Davis system by learning at a workshop in Israel, July 14-17th and beginning the process of working with students. It takes a while to get to that stage, but I know it works for my daughter, and that’s all that I need. I am going to have my teacher (facilitator) work with my 9 year old this summer. She will be my case study.
It’s an amazing program.
If anybody wants to take the course with me in Israel (it’s in English, and works out less expensive than here), email me… MeaganTGF@aol.com I have tried other programs for them. Wilson taught compensatory skills. I want to see great strives at full integration…

Tracey,
I responded to this the other day, but for some reason my response never posted and I only just realized it! Sorry. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen you on the yahoo group “Homeschooling Special Needs Kids”! As a matter of fact, I think I just read a message from you. That’s what made me think to go back and check this thread to see if you had responded back to me! I am not at all familiar with the DIA, but after seeing it mentioned in the yahoo group a couple of times, I looked it up and thought it sounded great, but way too expensive for us. I’d like to know what happens when you get the results to the testing and what they tell you. I would so love to take my daughter there. I have a 17 year old son with dyslexia also. He wasn’t diagnosed until he was 14. I couldn’t believe I had missed something like that. The good news for him is that we took him to the Davis Dyslexia program in Baton Rouge and the therapist brought him up from a fifth grade reading level to a 10th grade reading level in just a matter of weeks! Unfortunately, it’s really expensive and I never could afford to send my daughter so we’re struggling on our own. She is 10 and I’ve only got her up to an end of first grade reading level. It is so frustrating. But, I’ve learned a lot in the last three years and I never would have homeschooled her if she hadn’t had dyslexia. And I love homeschooling! Please keep in touch and let me know what you find out! You can email me directly if you’d like. I’d love to have someone else to talk to about all this. I am in a homeschool group but I can’t find anyone else in our area with a dyslexic child at home with them.