Emsam (seligiline) transdermal

I will be trying Emsam patch soon to hopfully help dig myself out of this excruciating bipolar depression. Am in the waiting period after discontinuing other antidepressants. currently only med is Lamictal. As you all know, it is a hard row to hoe, and difficult to get through the days.
Interested in experiences of others with Emsam.

take care, I wish you the best of luck… remember to change your placement of your patch on your body every single day (I think there are six different spots, use a DIFFERENT SPOT EACH DAY)… good luck to you - I pray it works for you :slight_smile:

I think MAOI’s have great use in the world AS LONG AS WE ARE EDUCATED… please do not hesitate to do research online and “in the world”… make sure your doctor gives you lists as to what medicines and foods YOU CAN HAVE (or maybe you prefer the lists with the YOU CAN’T HAVES on them, I know I do! Tell me what I can’t do, and I’ll learn to deal with it).

I sincerely wish you the best, and will put you in my prayers for EMSAM to work… I hope it’s your “wonder drug”, I sincerely do.

Take care of you! Good luck!!! Please don’t lose hope… give it a chance anyway - best of luck to you!

Thanks, “timetoheal,” for sharing your experiences. It must have been so difficult to go through all the prep/washout to get on the MAOI, then have to discontinue it in order to get treatment for other conditions. I hope you have found something(s) that is helpful.

I am trying to stay hopeful; do not want to consider “what if it doesn’t work” because the situation does feel rather desparate!
(Long history of BPI, fast forward to last year.) I finished a series of ECTs about 10 months ago; was on Cymbalta and Lamictal for maintenance, and crashed–way too soon. The treatments did “work,” but took quite a toll on my family me. I feel “absent” and outide of my life as it is, but prefer to have my body at home if it helps anyone! It is truly hard to stand the pain of this.

This is the first time I have posted ANYWHERE–a lot of anxiety about THAT–and I thank you again for reaching out to me with your kind thoughts and words. Ruby

Lamictal is the only medication I am taking until I start Emsam. Have been on it well over a year. It is impossible to say how it affected my overall mood, as it was started during the time of the ECTs. I do know that, FOR ME, is has been a "trouble-free" medication, i.e. no noteworthy side effects, is weight-neutral and sedation-neutral. (I take 200 mg. at bedtime.) Everyone responds differently, and I am certainly lucky on this front. It is much easier for me to tolerate than lithium or Depakote.

I had been hopeful that it might prevent a depressive episode, and have been disappointed, BUT perhaps it has helped me keep my head a BIT above the water. As awful as I feel, I know I could, and have, feIt worse. I have certainly not experienced any manic/hypomanic episodes during this time!

The titration to target dose is EXTREMELY slow, and absolutley must be monitored to try to avoid adverse/dangerous side effects. I understand that many people have experienced a substantial mood lifting effect from Lamictal, and have been able to maintain stability with this alone.

Thank you again, "timetoheal," for reaching out and sharing your experiences, and giving me encouragement. Please take care. Ruby

No need for thanks, Ruby, though it is appreciated.

I wish you the best at finding relief that is safe, truly helpful, and has little or no side effects.

You deserve help and relief (and hope) and you’re in my prayers… take care of you!!! :slight_smile: