Essay question for everyone:

people on these boards are always saying that they think about ending
their life. and everyone always jumps in and says, "no that’s not the
answer!!"
Do U think this is just because, suicide is seen as a horrible thing
in our society? Or do U think these people really believe that life is
worth living ‘this way’? Do U think that people are just afraid of the
other
side? or do U think they really have hope??
Is it that suicide is just too disturbing a concept? Or do people
really believe that, after failing again and again, there is actaully
some way to obtain relief.
And lastly, if it was determined once and for all that there really
is no relief, would these Optimists still try to deter people from
ending their suffering?

your thoughts…?

Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more.

Hi Penelope,
If you would like to talk to me contact me at (760)518-8483.I hope all is well.
We appreciate you.

Thank you,
Valerie

Penelope Trimethylaminuria-cpt6192@lists.careplace.com wrote:

When I think about suicide I also think about the things I have not done and the places I have not seen. I come to the conclusion that I would rather risk my life in a daring adventure rather than attempt suicide.

My most recent “adventure” was taking my 20’ sailboat (about the size of a volkswagon bus) on a year long trip alone over the north pole on May 2007, most everyone thought I was crazy but I was quite sane. If I succeeded it was one more accomplishment I could look back on with happiness, if not I would most likely end up dead or injured. The trip failed as my electrical system shorted and my rigging was wearing out (hurricane force winds, If you saw the perfect storm movie it was about the same) two weeks into the trip, I ended up coming back. The boat is now waiting on a trailer for me to find another job fix her up and try again.

However when I am alone on a boat I am so perfectly relaxed and at peace I could never commit suicide, so I spend all of my “civilized” days working and making money trying to return to that special place. You can see the boat on captinkid.com, I think I still have some pictures there.

Pictures
http://tinyurl.com/ytlprq

My entire life has become a chain of these adventures/suicides (~12 so far, five or so on boats/in the water) I have felt incredibly lucky as I should have died on at least five of those, usually I just ended up sick for a few weeks after each one. Dehydration, fever, etc. (If any are interested I could list each of them and their dates and specifics)

Is it suicide if I put myself in a dangerous situation?

My next trip is planned in three weeks to take a 15lb backpack and start up the pacific crest trail until I decide to come back. (I will probably wuss out when I run out of food)

---- Back to the original question.

“Do U think this is just because, suicide is seen as a horrible thing
in our society?”

People are afraid of death, and seeing a death/suicide reminds them that they too will die someday. Also your family members may suffer because of it, this is probably the biggie of why I don’t “do it”

“Or do U think these people really believe that life is
worth living ‘this way’?”

I can’t speak for others but I want to try and live this life, as it is the only one I have. I just keep finding things that interest me and places I want to see. I just will avoid people as much as possible along the way. I would like to “end it” but I would rather use up the fun options of life first.

“Do U think that people are just afraid of the other side? or do U think they really have hope??”

I know that there is something else after this life, because if there is not you would not know anyway :-). So have hope in the future as there is no reason not to.

Is it that suicide is just too disturbing a concept? Or do people
really believe that, after failing again and again, there is actually
some way to obtain relief.

I know relief will come eventually, it is only a matter of time. I am already 25 if I live to the average age I will be 70 in 2057. I only have a few billion seconds left and most of that will be spent sleeping and working (hopefully) I really would hate to waste what little time I have left by committing suicide.

And lastly, if it was determined once and for all that there really
is no relief, would these Optimists still try to deter people from
ending their suffering?

Think of doctor Kavorkian. He helped terminally ill patients in great pain to kill themselves. I THINK THIS SHOULD BE ALLOWED!!! If a dog is in great pain we do the humane thing and put them to sleep, why do not do this noble deed for other humans? He was just let out of prison on the terms that he does not continue his work.

---- From my christian past

I was raised a christian and from my (limited) research I have determined that suicide is not automatically a sin, and you can be forgiven of it. I am not an active christian at this time as it seems to repeat the problems of most other religions, and I do not see it as superior. I have not found one that seems “correct”. However I know from physics that something had to make or build the material that makes up the universe as it could not just appear out of nothing as some would have me believe.

I don’t feel that there is anything wrong with suicide, it is up to the individual to determine what their need are.

---- Are we there yet?

My best advice, if you feel like suicide do not rush it! You can just as easily do it tomorrow or a week from now, and you just might gain another happy memory in the meantime.

Or as a final last end finito resort try my adventure suicide method, you have a small-moderate risk of death and a risk of finding something new or exciting about the world. Try something you always wanted to try but were afraid/not sure about, after all when you are dead you will not get another chance!

Suggestions for adventure suicide:
Travel somewhere you would not normally go. Spin a globe, close your eyes and poke a random spot. AND GO THERE! By boat, air or on foot if necessary.
Skydiving!
Scuba diving!
Hiking!
http://www.doctordanger.com/
Or anything else that sounds fun, because you won’t have a chance to do them after suicide! (Depends on your belief system)

Ack, and egad. way too much writing :slight_smile:

Take care,
Matt

Very brave of you to go sailing by yourself. I would be too afraid.

For me Im always saying i hope i die on a daily bases and i truly wished it did happen. My family who doesn’t know i have bo thinks im crazy because i haven’t left my house. It’s hard living and dealing with this on my own. But i would never commit suicide because i could never do that.

i often wish and hope for a peaceful death. since my sons birth 2
years ago that has changed little. now i get to fight the guilt of
being selfish and worrying about what would happen to my son or gf, or
not being able to see him age and grow. i would do anything not to
workand be able to stay home. this disease has tried to keep me
indoors away from work and even play. unfortunately society doesnt
allow you to sit on your ass and do nothing if you owe child support.
if you dont pay, they put you in prison and give you a felony!!!

If you talk about killing yourself, that means you need to seek medical help. I am not happy that I have this problem but I am happy that it finally has a name. Where I work they have move people’s desk from around me, it hurt but I still need a paycheck.
Lunch time I rush home to take a shower to complete my daywork. I use cotton underwear and I wear T-shirts under my blouse, sweater or top to absorb the sweat. If i do not have time to go home for my second shower I go to the bathroom, I remove my T-shirt, wipe my upper body with papertowel and soap and put more deodorant on and just wear my blose for the remaining of the day. It helps a little.
Now that I know about choline, I already made a copy of the list. I am trying to change my diet. I took chlorophyll tablets last month but it did not help much maybe because I kept ingesting choline.

I would like to find hope here, like recipes that somebody tried, things that we should avoid, positive things.

I myself, always carry babywipes and when I feel overheated I use them. I got tired of chewing gum, now I carry Listerine and when possible before speaking to somebody, I put some in my mouth and spit it in papertowels.

Now tell me what do you do? Let’s exhange “what work for you”.

Hey there.

It’s understandable to want to skip outta here.

But that hounding feeling; Why me?

Why should I have to be the yokel to suffer the
karma of kicking the bucket by my own hands?
Something is upside down.

We are truly people trapped in containers. Containers.
That what our bodies are. We have to do the best we
can with them, though. They house our spirits. Be
strong and do the right thing

Know what has kept me from killing myself all of these
years?
The fact that people are expecting this very thing to
happen. They would feel a little guilty, sure. But it
would add interest to their lives. Make 'em happy to
be theselves and alive.

Don’t give 'em the satisfaction.

Fight like a brave.

Have you tried Derifil?

On 10/11/07, Determined Dandelion <
Trimethylaminuria-cpt6192@lists.careplace.com> wrote:

I find derifil and bathing with sebamed very helpful.

At some point in my life, I prayed for death. I went to a church service and
the preacher whom I did not know and that lived in another state said these
words. The Lord told me that there are several of you in here that have been
praying a suicide prayer and he told me to tell you that your request has
been DENIED…I was brought up in the church and am one that believes in
faith but I must also say situation has been toughest fight of my life. I
know what awaits those that take the easy way out. Your mind tell you that
nobody will miss you, they don’t care for you but this is all a lie and the
trick of the devil to make you assassinate your self. What await you you on
the other side is far worse than you are dealing with now. For once you are
there, there is no way out. I rather take my changes here despite what I
lose and get some help then to take myself out and never see my boys grow up
and leave them with the guilt of my actions. Not gonna happen.

I have been fighting this almost ten years, others all of their lives. My
answer for our situation is to pray like hell that God will have mercy on
all of us and heal and deliver us from what we are going through. I have
decided that after I take this TMA test no matter what the results, I will
NOT go to another doctor for I have wasted enough time and energy already
and the results is always the same “We can find anything”. I shall return to
my roots and use the tools that has made me successful in this life thus far
and that is to rely on Jesus Christ.

I have been in this group for sometime and I have been able to discuss
things here that I have not other places. I have add you all in my prayers
that God will bless and keep you and that our mess up situation will be
turned into a blessing. Stay strong and be encourage…and remember that God
loves and Care for us.

Penelope

On 10/11/07, Determined Dandelion <
Trimethylaminuria-cpt6192@lists.careplace.com> wrote:

why do you tell people not to commit suicide? because it the right thing to
do. Suicide is a permanant solution to a temporary problem. True enough
our problem may not be temporary, but i wont give up hope. i wont give
up hope because my kids can still make me smile. because there are a
people that still love me. there are even moments when i can forget for
a moment that i have this god forsaken condition. i wont give up hope
because hopeless is a good as dead.

If your family knew the agony you are in, they might turn out to be a great
comfort. I also never shared this and I think I deprived myself of some
really needed support. If it is too embarassing in person, you could try a
letter to your most discreet, open-minded relative. If you have a note
explaining the condition (Dr. Preti or internet article) then it would seem
more plausible. People who can’t smell it think we are making it up. Some
people notice it more than others. Also, some days are better than others
so people might not see it as a chronic condition.

Joyce

I agree with the view against suicide. I think that the people that care about you are worth more than the trouble you save by “ending it”. This is why I have not done it. If someone cares for you it will be VERY painful for them if you commit suicide.

The religious/spiritual reason for not committing suicide does not make since to me as there have been many people in the Bible and other religious texts that have committed suicide for various reasons. (Samson and King Saul are the biggest of a total of seven in the Bible)

I don’t have a girlfriend or any kids, (I don’t think I ever will) but the caring and love of my family keeps me from ending my life. Even though they think I stink to high heaven. (I have not told them about TMAU as yet because I don’t think they would believe me, I am waiting until I can get tested to have proof to show them)

But that does not stop me from going on dangerous and potentially lethal adventures alone and under prepared. I tell everyone that I am perfectly safe, and so far that I have always come back. (I am up to about two adventures a year on average)

This is the only way I have found to cope. I am ready to die, and I will accept it if and when it comes but I am not ready to do myself in.

Matt

P.S. I have found that skunks have a similar chemical composition in their spray! The chemical Thiol from skunks has a similar construction of CH2 and CH3 (fishy odor causing stuff) of the more familiar Trimethylamine only it is a sulphuric/carbon based molecule instead of the nitrogen based molecule which we have trouble breaking down. Very fascinating information.

So when someone says you smell like a skunk (which I get from kids on a semi-regular basis) They are actually pretty close to the truth!

Get a pet skunk and then you can blame the odor on it :). Just a joke, please be nice to animals :slight_smile:

Sources:
http://www.humboldt.edu/~wfw2/chemofskunkspray.html

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/trimethylamine/tmav.htm

Lol. Tnnx man, you gave me a good laugh on the way to work

Good Morning,
I’m so glad you are not ready to due yourself in I opened your email on my birthday and how heartbreaking that would have been to read. so I agree with considering your loved ones because it hurts them more than you know. Now I’m no bible scholar but pulling from my sunday school teachings King Saul feel from his house on his sword and died. And Samson was setup by Delia and killed by men who had paid her to reveal to them where his strenth came from. Hang in there I am in my seventh year of dealing with Tmau and going to church and sitting beside people is painful for me due to the overwhelming odor and it’s painful belive me I know and people at work are very hurtful assuming I just dont bathe. When in realty I bathe with bleach many different soaps more times than the average person all day. I think we have to begain to make others aware of this TMAU. I only began to smell it seven years ago and dont know why and no doctor has be able to help me. I go out and I pray before I do and I say to myself I have just as much a right to live a normal life as any one else. And for those who are offended by me I offer my appolgy and try to explain to them what TMAU is. But today I going to treat myself to Danzel washington new movie and buy myself a birthday cake and THANK GOD THAT HE HAS BLESSED ME TO SEE ANOTHER YEAR OF LIFE REGARDLESS OF TMAU AND THATS THAT!!!

To: vickietaylor@hotmail.com> F rom: Trimethylaminuria-cpt6192@lists.careplace.com> Subject: Re: [trimethylaminuria] Essay Question for all BOers> Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 03:54:45 -0400> >

Happy New Year,

How are you doing?I haven’t spoken to you in a while.I hope that you’re doing fine and that your day is filed with sunshine and happiness.

Take Care
Brown Sugar (Valerie)

Penelope Trimethylaminuria-cpt6192@lists.careplace.com wrote:

All is well on my end and Happy New Year to you as well. I am at home at the
moment. I left my job in Dec, I was suppose to go to another one but the
deal fell through. At this point I have no desire to work in the workforce
again and not sure how things will turn out. I’m praying and asking God for
direction. I believe he will tell me which way to go.

Penelpoe

I too am a christian and its sad i want to commit suicide so badly. I just can’t live with this condition. maybe if it was mild i could muster the courage but the embarrassment so far has been so hurting and painful i just want to die. The worst part is that their is no cure. Although I have not been tested the symptoms are that of TMAU so where do i go from here??? I am confused and hurt and I took up all the medications from different doctors many times today to end it. I have not known true happiness and relief for many years and I want a social life and a happy life. I feel trapped and hopeless and people are expecting that I can do better than think about suicide. I don’t want to go to hell but I also don’t know how to cope with this embarrassment any longer. I wouldn’t recommend suicide to any one but I strongly feel that it is best for me.