FANTASTIC article - all about what Fibromuscular dysplasia (FMD) really is

Hi all - I recently found this article, and really want to share it - it centralizes all the basics about FMD - what fibrosis is, how it works and progresses, what might trigger it, the roles infection and our immune systems play, and more.

Fibromuscular dysplasia (FMD) is fibrosis of the artery walls [1] (fibroplasia means fibrosis), and is one of very many fibrotic diseases now epidemic in our world. All fibrotic diseases share some common mechanisms, and “collectively, are the leading cause of morbidity and mortality in North America, Europe, and Japan.” [2] Fibrotic diseases also “represent the largest segment of human disease that remain intractable to drug therapy,” [3] meaning fibrosis is incurable and untreatable.

But treatments for fibrosis are finally on the horizon - one of the main reasons the information in this article is now openly accessible. Until now, there has been no hope except to treat secondary and downstream life threatening symptoms as they occur.

The article is about our underlying disease - fibrosis.

Hope it helps!
…Let me know what you think,
sofi :slight_smile:

QUOTE:

Abstract
Fibroproliferative diseases, including the pulmonary fibroses, systemic sclerosis, liver cirrhosis, cardiovascular disease, progressive kidney disease, and macular degeneration, are a leading cause of morbidity and mortality and can affect all tissues and organ systems. Fibrotic tissue remodeling can also influence cancer metastasis and accelerate chronic graft rejection in transplant recipients. Nevertheless, despite its enormous impact on human health, there are currently no approved treatments that directly target the mechanism(s) of fibrosis. The primary goals of this Review series on fibrotic diseases are to discuss some of the major fibroproliferative diseases and to identify the common and unique mechanisms of fibrogenesis that might be exploited in the development of effective antifibrotic therapies.

Introduction
Fibrosis is often defined as a wound-healing response that has gone out of control. Repair of damaged tissues is a fundamental biological process that allows the ordered replacement of dead or damaged cells after injury, a mechanism that is critically important for survival. Damage to tissues can result from various acute or chronic stimuli, including infections, autoimmune reactions, and mechanical injury. The repair process typically involves two distinct stages: a regenerative phase, where injured cells are replaced by cells of the same type, leaving no lasting evidence of damage; and a phase known as fibroplasia, or fibrosis, where connective tissue replaces normal parenchymal tissue. Although initially beneficial, the healing process becomes pathogenic if it continues unchecked, resulting in substantial remodeling of the ECM and formation of permanent scar tissue (Figure 1). In some cases, it might ultimately lead to organ failure and death.

The spectrum of diseases that result from chronic tissue damage or out-of-control wound-healing responses are too numerous to list. However, the goal of this Review series on fibrotic diseases is to highlight some of the major fibrotic diseases and to identify common and unique mechanisms of fibrogenesis in the various organ systems affected by these diseases.

END QUOTE

MORE: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1804380
Common and unique mechanisms regulate fibrosis in various fibroproliferative diseases
J Clin Invest. 2007 March 1; 117(3): 524–529.
Thomas A. Wynn
Immunopathogenesis Section, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA.

ARTICLE CONTENTS
Introduction
The role of chronic infections and innate immunity
Myofibroblasts
The role of ANG II and TGF-β1
ECM remodeling and reversibility of intractable fibrosis
A link between angiogenesis and fibrogenesis
Human embryonic stem cell–based therapies for fibrosis
The challenge ahead: clinical trial design and endpoints

REFERENCES

1. "FMD may involve any layer of a visceral artery, and it may be classified on the basis of the primary of involvement of the arterial wall. The classification system includes intimal, medial, or adventitial fibrosis."
    Fibromuscular Dysplasia (Visceral Arteries)
    http://www.emedicine.com/radio/topic900.htm

2. "Collectively, fibrotic disorders are the leading cause of morbidity and mortality in North America, Europe, and Japan."
    Combinatorial signaling pathways determine fibroblast proliferation and myofibroblast differentiation
    http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/full/18/3/469?ck=nck

3. "Collectively, fibrotic disorders represent the largest segment of human disease that remain intractable to drug therapy."
    Inhibition of TGF-ß-stimulated CTGF gene expression and anchorage-independent growth by cAMP identifies a CTGF-dependent restriction point in the cell cycle
    http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/full/12/12/1151?ck=nck

I agree with ADK about putting my trust in the NIH and FMDSA, both are reliable sources in my opinion.As a person with no medical background I found the article a little hard to make sense of.I need an interpreter LOL
Lucy

In my opinion, what you are doing is misleading the public and it is unethical and wrong. Again, you are taking the information from your
resources outof context and jumping to conclusions. I have read
your resources. The term fibrosis is a generalized
term. You are taking bits of information out of these
studies and putting it together to form misleading
information. One of these studies is talking about
pulmonary tissue (lung tissue) and liver tissue,
etc… in the INFLAMMATORY sense. FMD is a NON-
INFLAMMATORY disease. There are many types of
Connective Tissue, such as loose, dense, elastic and
reticular…I could go on and on. Many of your
references are out of date. Sofi, Lani… someone
else asked what is your background? Education? I am
sure you have learned about the basics of the
scientific method.

It sounds like you have been through a lot with FMD,
multiple strokes, etc… I do not know your whole
diagnosis or story. If you would like to share that it
would be great. Kari

now I’m really derpressed. Lucy

NO, THIS IS NOT TRUE!!! If you read her quotes and
resources she has taken them out of context. Find and
read the original content of her resources and you
will find she has twisted the material to fit her
paranoid needs. I hope she finds help for her
schizophrenic behavior and stops scaring people with
her opinions that are not scientifically based. I
could pick her site apart sentence by sentence but we
all are educated here and I think you can do that for
yourselves. Please DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON
THE INTERNET, do your own research, find creditable
sources, believe me…she is NOT one!
Kari

Hi Sofi,

Don’t let no one make you feel down or less. The truth about FMD is that not too many Doctor’s now much about it, and that can be scary. Keep positive and research all that you want. It’s all about you!

BTY KitKat68, this is a support group. I don’t think it does anyone good to be called paranoid or as to having schizophrenic behavior. Try to be sensitive. Alot of people here have had this disease for many yrs. with out true basic knowledge or help from the medical field. So they research…I personally would like to hear what someone else has found. Then I will make my own decision. Take care.

Sofi has the right to her opinion, each of us do. I have no problem with anyone researching, and letting others know, Although it is extremely important to keep the information in context. When taking information from an abstract from legitimate sources and using it as a quote you must present it in the way it was intended, otherwise it is misleading. That is all I am saying. I do not mean to offend Lani in anyway. I apologize if I have, I did not mean it as a personal attack. If the information is misleading and inaccurate it can cause others undue stress. I am all for research and information presented in this forum if it has not been altered from it’s original form and if the person interpretating the information has the appropriate credentials. Again Sofi, what are your credentials?
Sofi, please accept my apologies if I offended you it was not my intent. I guess I am compassionate about getting the correct information about this disease. If anyone has questions I would direct them to FMDSA. Kari

Wow. Harsh stuff, Kari. Not sure what’s making you so upset…

FYI - The article I am sharing here was published March 1, 2007 - certainly not “out of date” as you claim.

RE: Your claim that FMS is not fibrosis or a fibrotic disease.

The article I quote describing the FMD classification system as referring to arterial fibrosis was last updated on February 2, 2007 - also not “out of date,” and not inaccurate either, given that the classification system is a medical standard.

[QUOTE: The (FMD) classification system includes intimal, medial, or adventitial fibrosis.
Fibromuscular Dysplasia (Visceral Arteries)
http://www.emedicine.com/radio/topic900.htm]

RE: Your claim that FMD can’t be fibrosis because it is noninflammatory.

You are right - FMD is noninflammatory - which certainly makes it an unusually hard-to-diagnose disease, and which is why some researchers believe it may be a latent or chronic/persistent phase or presentation of a larger disease process.

The article states and I reiterated, all “fibrotic diseases share some common mechanisms.” As the article says, “fibrosis typically progresses slowly in most diseases,” and “…a great deal of work is still needed to fully understand the mechanisms of fibrogenesis…”

…I am most interested in learning what mechanisms FMD may share with other fibrotic diseases, how these diseases might be related and how they evolve.

I posted this article because I found it to be very helpful in clarifying many FMD “mysteries” - and hoped it might help others here too.

Hope this helps,
sofi

Thanks bambijo. :up:

And Lucy - why depressed? …For the first time, FMD’s underlying cause is being addressed, and there are treatments for it on the horizon. Which means our disease will be treated, not just its secondary symptoms and progressive effects.

Good news, imho.

:slight_smile:
sofi

Sofi, again I apologize if I seemed to be personally attacking you. That was not my intention. You write whatever you like. I just like to know a person’s credentials when reading their opinions about this disease so that I can make a sound judgement for myself. I guess we are both compassionate about this disease. I should not pass judgement on you, I do not know what you have been through with this disease. Please accept my apologies. Kari

Well, I just can’t stay out of this discussion! Something about it is bothoring my little brain…

First of all, we need more input from ALL OF US!!!

From what I know of Kari, she has a medical back ground (and answers to solid objective questions/statements if she has a question)…she, in my opinion, is an advocate for those of us (like me) without that background…
She was diagnosed…couldn’t get answers that she wanted…turned to the internet,just as scared as we all were upon diagnosis…

Soficrow, in the years I’ve known her, has spent a lot of time reading, reading and reading more…and she posts…(use to alot)…and if my little fmd brain hasn’t completely left me, at one time was going to write a book on it…

I dunno…

It’s just that, upon initial diagnosis, a FMD’er is SCARED. I was diagnosed in early 90’s, and that’s about the time I met Soficrow…who again, was looking for answers too…

And Lani’s articles CAN be scarey if one just floats through them…(I mean look at me…I STILL DON’T LIKE BEING RELATED TO A TURKEY!!!) …ahem…

And I think that’s where Kari’s concerns are (as is opinion of other medical professions on Sites I’ve been on)…that those of us looking for “empathy”,
uneducated in medical “jargon”/background…are going to be FRIGHTENED
and…

I guess, “take this disease more seriously than it needs to be”???

Not that it’s not serious.

Oh, “shut up,. Betty” I say to myself…

OK…one last word.

Apology Kari? No, I don’t think so.

Input guys?

Betty

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving Sofi,

Don’t eat any turkeys with FMD, ha ha…

I wish you a great holiday, :slight_smile: Kari

Hey Kari, apology accepted. :slight_smile:

I know, as our dear Betty points out oh so discreetly, ‘Lani’s articles CAN be scarey if one just floats through them.’

I know what you mean Betty - I know FMD is NOT a death sentence. I don’t say it is, but I guess some people might interpret the info in that way. Still, lots of people get incurable diseases, and they live with it. Like we do.

…the first thing I was told when I was diagnosed was that FMD is incurable and would recur. …I also was told it would be treatable when it came back, but it just so happens that no, I don’t qualify for any more angioplasties, and certainly not vascular surgery, because my FMD is multifocal and disseminated. Best I can get is experimental stents here or there. (I won’t.)

So here I am, 55 years old, and suddenly I’m falling apart. I’ve aged 20 years in the last five, and now am diagnosed with a bunch of different diseases that surprise, surprise, all happen to be fibrotic diseases. (Ie., COPD, arthritis, fibromyalgia)

In my case, all these extra problems started showing up about 5 years AFTER I received a gamma globulin injection (my daughter got HepA in a daycare, another story).

…I finally realized that the gamma globulin was a) contaminated, b) incompatible with my immune system, or c) both - and then I started looking for answers. …Now I can say with confidence that the exposure triggered my FMD -and- the underlying disease, and started manifesting in a bunch of different ways. Not different diseases, just different manifestations - and all fibrotic.

I also realized that there are literally millions of people who find themselves in exactly the same boat - knocked down before their time, flat broke because they thought they would recover and regroup, and left with little else but a memory that just doesn’t seem to work properly. Which is why I write everything down. :wink:

IMO - We all have the right to make FULLY informed decisions - about our medical care, finances, futures and environment, especially as it effects our health and our ability to earn a living and enjoy life.

Also IMO - that very basic right has been taken away from us. And that’s what’s scary to me.

…YIPES. I did it again! :o

It’s the dreaded soap-box syndrome, a secondary symptom of long term FMD triggered by environmental exposure to information and exacerbated by an broad education in ethics and philosophy. :wink:

…BETTY said - (I mean look at me…I STILL DON’T LIKE BEING RELATED TO A TURKEY!!!) …ahem…

hehe

…Today’s Thanksgiving here - am off to make gravy.

Love ya all,
sofi

Generally,I don’t get involved in these conversations. But, has anyone asked an opinion from FMDSA, or Dr.MacDonnell regarding the reliability of the info? As we speak, valid research is going on at the NIH, and I assume the medical advisors for FMDSA would respond to this artical. I also,am anxious for answers, and at this time, I put my trust in FMDSA and the NIH. I see them as the flag ships to research/treatment.

My opinion, ADK

Sofi
What did you mean by…".because my FMD is multifocal and disseminated." I guess I am just slow.
GG

Hey, “Planet Lucy” and all…

I too am a layperson…

But I MUST add this:

I took (a long, long, long …want me to continue with this?) some prenursing courses, one of them being Medical Terminology.

So, I have this really old, old, old) Medical Terminology testbook/dictonary…
I read alot of stuff that tends to go over my little brain, so…off I go into livingroom, armed with this old text book and print out of whatever article I’m trying to REALLY (in MY mind) understand…

And…I think I’m keeping this little brain stimulated in some way by doing this…

Does that make sense? (don’t worry if it doesn’t…those that know me tend to either ignore my ‘rantings’ or…throw tomatoes at computer screen aimed at me) :>

In any case, I do feel really positive about advances made with FMD…honest.

Sincerely,
Betty

GG - Me too. hehe …I read upside down, and saw the words “multifocal” and "disseminated’ on my vascular surgeons report. So I went home, turned on my computer, went on the Net and clicked on “onelook.com”, my onestop shopping center for word definitions. The medical dictionaries are all there - the easiest one to understand is called the “Online Medical Dictionary” - actually the UK’s cancerweb. The best is Dorland’s, but it’s very technical.

Check it out - I keep a window open on the dictionaries while I research.

ADK and Lucy - This article, “Common and unique mechanisms regulate fibrosis in various fibroproliferative diseases” happens to come from the Immunopathogenesis Section of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIH) in Bethesda, Maryland.

…One of FMD’s mysteries always has been about that pesky immune involvement. Personally, I’m glad to see the NIH’s Immunopathogenesis people are on the case.

Another great NIH source for FMD info is NINDS, which is the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, another part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

FYI - NINDS is the USA’s biggest funder for research on the brain and nervous system. “The NINDS conducts research on stroke and vascular lesions of the nervous system…”

Check out the NINDS Fibromuscular Dysplasia Information Page at

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/fibromuscular_dysplasia/fibromuscular_dysplasia.htm

BETTY - I know EXACTLY what you mean - "And…I think I’m keeping this little brain stimulated in some way by doing this… " About 6 years ago I suddenly lost the ability to read and write - more than a bit of a problem because I was writing for a living at the time. :o

But all my research projects forced my battered brain to rebuild. Kewl, huh? …Of course it’s an ongoing process, lol, but heh - I have all the time in the world now. :wink:

Love ya all,
sofi

Thank you for that info SOfi. It will come in handy.
Beth

GG - Me too. hehe …I read upside down, and saw the
words “multifocal” and “disseminated’ on my vascular
surgeons report. So I went home, turned on my
computer, went on the Net and clicked on
"onelook.com”, my onestop shopping center for word
definitions. The medical dictionaries are all there

• the easiest one to understand is called the
    "Online Medical Dictionary" - actually the UK’s
    cancerweb. The best is Dorland’s,
    but it’s very technical.

Check it out - I keep a window open on the
dictionaries while I research.

ADK and Lucy - This article, “Common and unique
mechanisms regulate fibrosis in various
fibroproliferative diseases” happens to come from
the Immunopathogenesis Section of the National
Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIH)
in Bethesda, Maryland.

…One of FMD’s mysteries always has been about that
pesky immune involvement. Personally, I’m glad to
see the NIH’s Immunopathogenesis people are on the
case.

Another great NIH source for FMD info is NINDS,
which is the National Institute of Neurological
Disorders and Stroke, another part of the National
Institutes of Health (NIH).

FYI - NINDS is the USA’s biggest funder for
research on the brain and nervous system. “The NINDS
conducts research on stroke and vascular lesions of
the nervous system…”

Check out the NINDS Fibromuscular Dysplasia
Information Page at

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/fibromuscular_dysplasia/fibromuscular_dysplasia.htm

BETTY - I know EXACTLY what you mean - "And…I
think I’m keeping this little brain stimulated in
some way by doing this… " About 6 years ago I
suddenly lost the ability to read and write - more
than a bit of a problem because I was writing for a
living at the time. :o

But all my research projects forced my battered
brain to rebuild. Kewl, huh? …Of course it’s an
ongoing process, lol, but heh - I have all the time
in the world now. :wink:

Love ya all,
sofi

__
To control the emails you receive from CarePlace, go
to http://www.careplace.com/account-notifications

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it’s updated for today’s economy) at Yahoo! Games.
http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow

FYI -

Both Dr. Jeffrey Olin and Dr. Susan Begelman recognize that fibromuscular dysplasia involves fibrosis, and medial hyperplasia does not.

QUOTE:

Medial hyperplasia, the last subtype, is the only lesion in which there is true smooth muscle hyperplasia without fibrosis.

SOURCE:

Fibromuscular dysplasia
Susan M. Begelman, MD, and Jeffrey W. Olin, DO
http://fmdsa.org/files/begelman.pdf

Also see the medicaal dictionaries at onelook.com

Ie: http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/omd?fibroplasia

fibroplasia - Production of fibrous tissue, usually implying an abnormal increase of non-neoplastic fibrous tissue.

:slight_smile:
sofi