Fibromyalgia and Sciatica or leg pain

I have been having pain in my left leg since the early Fall. I have had this before and was able to get rid of it with exercise, massage or ultra sound.I had the orthopedic doctor take X-rays and he thinks that I have may have a pinced nerve He recommended PT or anti-inflamatory pills. I chose PT as the pills give me stomach aches. My chiropractor recommends cold laser and manipulation. I have had fibromyalgia for about 11 years, and do fairly well controlling my pain problems. I welcome any comments or suggestions.

Judy I.

I started PT for sciatica in my leg this week. I am having mixed results-at times pain relief at other times the pain is worse. The PT has consisted of manipulation and massage of my leg, and review of some of my exercises. I am wondering if this type of PT is too much for me because I have fibromyalgia.

In addition peoplel are mad at me. I work as a tutor/teacher and I have had to cancel appointments. I generally work through my pain, so people
are not used to me cancelling appointments.

I have replied to my own message as no one else have. I would really welcome comments and suggestions.

Judy I

Dian, thank you for your response. I will look into your suggestions Has anyone had cold laser treatment for pain associate with the sciatica nerve? My chiropractor recommends it. However, I am hesitating because ultra sound has sometimes agrevated my sciatica nerve in the past, even though it has been effective on trigger points in other parts of my body.

Peace to everyone.

Judy I.

Hi Judy I.,

I had just written a long reply, then hit the wrong key and it erased it. I can’t retype all, but the bottom line is I am in a similar fix. It took an orthopedic dr. to inj. cortisone into the bursa sac located on outer side of my upper thigh and in about 20 min. I was practically pain-free as far as my leg was concerned. That was 2 yrs. ago. The relief lasted about 9 mos. The pain has been gradually increasing until it was unbearable again. That Dr. has since relocated, so I went to another Dr. I do feel major relief, however, I think that due to my increase in wt. and sporatic activity due to fibro. the pain caused by the nerve feels more intense. I have been taking aquatic PT, but between driving there and going through the PT and driving home - my pain is worse. What this Dr. recomended was a pain dr. in his building who would use an x-ray instrument to guide a needle that he would insert with pain medication in the disk area where the nerve is being pinched. I’m just about at the point of calling for an appointment.
I don’t know if any of this is helpful or not, but you are not alone. I have been in pain for 17 yrs. and have tried so many drs.,meds, PT, etc. That even though I knew it was a pinched nerve, no one knew what to do. Research bursa sacs online. Usually, people will have brusitis on their shoulder or upper arm-I do.

Cortisone has not helped there, plus depending on how and who administers the inj. determines how painful it is. This last time is the first time the inj. itself was not painful. And that was because he sprayed the area with an anesthetic first, the other drs. did not. They just jabbed the needle into the most tender spot on my shoulder. Also, fyi-cortisone inj. will erode the bone. So, research it and drs. in your area. I hope that this helps. You are not alone. I read your post-but we all respond differently to meds, treatments, etc. that the last thing I would ever want to do would be to hurt anyone else, even though this has helped me.

Many blessings on you and your family and friends,
Dian

Hi judith,
My name is Toni… I have been dx with Fibro, Asthma, Costochondritis, and Osteoarthritis…
Your post caught my eye, because i suffer with, lower back pain that seems to go into the pelvis, hips and down my legs…it is hard to stand or walk for long periods of time, but it is also hard to sit…and hurts badly when laying down. I have done some research into the symtoms… And Sciatica and Ankylosing Spondylitis keep coming up…
Is this what you are talking about? or did I misunderstand?
(((((Hugs))))))

Toni,

I read your email and story. I do not have Costochomdritis or Osteoarthritis. I do have fibromyalgia, diagnoised by a pain doctor about 6 months after a a hysterectomy and my ovaries removed in 1996. I also have deterioration in my lower back, and possiblly a pinched nerve. I have managed my fibro with relative success with massage, exercise, ultra sound on my trigger points, and .5mg/at night.

Unfortunately this Fall, I couldn’t get control of the pain in my right leg, hip, and buttock, so I reluctantly went to my orthopedic doctor for X-ray and opinion. He said I possibly had a pinched nerve ( doctor’s eyes glaze over when you mention fibro, unless they specialize in that area). Aside, unfortunately many doctors claim to treat fibro, but are clueless. I also believe, it is a good way for doctors to make money. Fibro patients will always be there with their pain.

To continue my current situation, the orthopedic doctor recommend Anti-inflamatory drugs or Physical Therapy. I chose physical therapy because the drugs hurt my stomach. In addition to going over my exercise program , she did myofascial release on my back and buddock. This reduced the pain significantly. Unfortunately, she took a vacation for the holidays and the pain has shifted to to my right leg, hip and buddock. So that is where I am today.

Also my chiropractor recommended COLD LASER THERAPY. I am about ready to try it as I am getting desperate. I have worked many years as a tutor/ teacher in spite of everything. I had to cut back on my work about a month ago and was planning to go back to my regular schedule in Jan 2008.

Also, another factor has been that my massage therapist of 9 years left the business about 1 1/2 year ago and I have not found a satifactory replacement.

AGAIN, HAS ANYONE HAD SUCCESS WITH COLD LASER THERAPY?

Peace, Judy

Facing this same issue, infact I got much frustrated because pain is still in leg