Fired from job

Is it against the law to fire someone for having hepatits c?

PROBLY ,ALMOST POSSITIVE YES , GET A GOOD LAWYER ,KEEP CHECKING TILL YOU FIND A GOOD ONE ,MAYBE ONE THAT DEFENDS PEOPLE WHO HAV AIDS ,HUGS DAN

Have you been fired? Or just wondering IF you could be? You would hope that people wouldn’t be so narrow minded! I would definately check with the state regarding discrimination laws. I work for a big named company and handle raw food product daily…they never blinked an eye. Do your research and find out what your rights are.

Yes I got fired from 2 jobs one yesterday and one today. One was a full time one and the other one was part time. I guess I should not have told my boss, I had hepatitis c. I had no idea people could be so ingnorant. And one boss told the other and I got a phone call today from the second boss, saying they were sorry and wished me luck but her husband who is a doctor said I couldnt work for him anylonger and they were getting blood tests. I was a cook and housekeeper for a very wealthy family of 5. They have a 27 room house and I took care of the wing of the house the children have and cooked their dinner 5 nights a week and cleaned up afterwards. For two years now. The day after I told her I was off but the other housekeeper said when she came to work all the food was out of the cupboards and refrigerator and either in the garbage or the disposal, the rest was in the sink waiting to be thrown out, just in case I have touched it…I am mad as a hornet…

I would be spittin’ mad myself. I’d have the Department of Labor all over that. Kinda makes you feel like a leper, doesn’t it?

SORRY TO HEAR YOU GOT TREATED THAT WAY ,IVE BEEN TREATED LIKE IVE HAD THE PLAGUE FROM WOMEN I DATED AFTER I TOLD THEM -PISSES ME OFF–BUT NOT ONES THAT HAV A FREIND OR KNOW SOMEONE AND KNOW ABOUT IT-------CALL AROUND FOR A LAWYERS,AND STATE LABOR BOARD,SEE WHAT YOUR RIGHTS ARE ,HUGS DAN

It is against the law, but they can use other excuses to get rid of you. If you can get it recorded or in writing from them that they let you go due to the Hep C and take it straight to a lawyer. YOU WILL WIN!!!
If they are wise as larger companies are they can find many tiny things and it’s much harder to prove as they know it’s against the law to descriminate.
I missed a day of work that on my Dr.'s monthly letters to my boss excusing me from work where a type-o was made. I had a flawless Excellent work record, an attorney is handling it. I can’t return to work due to my HepC, but there is some money to be had and a very clear work record and good references without discussion of Hep C in case I can clear and possibly return to work.
It’s illegal for one employee to have told another, that is your private information.
Get you a good lawyer, you might talk to your county public health office by phone and ask them if they have advice or copies of laws to send you for free. But get that proof before you say anything to anyone else. Protect your financial future you need it with this retched disease.

SBM
getting fired is a bummer and people can be stupid when they are scared but that’s what they sound like they are, scared, scared for their family. can you really blame them? even the Hep doctor’s do not understand this disease, how it spreads where it comes from or how to deal with it. it’s not easy but try to understand their POV.

don’t try to get even. better you learn as much as you can about HCV and your treatment options, pick one and use your energy to get better.

good luck.

peace

KM