FMD and ACE inhibitors

Does anyone know why ACE inhibitors and ARBs are contraindicated for the treatment of hypertension associated with FMD? I have read this in several places, including Olin’s article, but nowhere can I find the reason behind the recommendation. I have asked two doc’s why I had such a bad reaction to lisinopril and diovan and neither of them can tell me why.

I would be interested to read the article. I am and have been taking an ace
inhibitor for quite some time for my hypertension related to FMD and it has
been the only medication that has worked. In fact, when they have tried to
put me on the generic version (to save some money!), I’ve had to go back to
the original medication as it has been the only one that works. Perhaps they
just haven’t found the correct medication for you.

Stephanie

On 4/29/08 4:05 PM, “reader” fmd-cpt8865@lists.careplace.com wrote:

I have not heard about ace inhibiotrs or ARB’s being contraindicated with FMD… But I did read that for lisinopril to "tell your doctor if you have ehler Danlos syndrome"
I’d like to know more.

I’ve been on lisinopril (40 mg) plus labetalol (400 2x/day) for a while and when I saw Dr. Olin he kept me on that combination for about a month .
After my angioplasty Dr. Olin switched me to hyzaar - some thing with losartan in it and a diuretic. Losartan is an angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB)- and it is thought to help open the arteries - it is thought to be beneficial after an angioplasty. Dr McDonnell also recommended I take losartan after the angioplasty and provided me an article explaining why.
I guess medicines are given to individuals based on who they are, their other problems and needs. But i would really like to know more about this contraindication.

I am very allergic to all ace inhibitors. Also have FMD with stents in both renal arteries since 2004. Would be interested to know about the association. My doctor has never made an association between the two.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

From bits and pieces I have gathered online, ACE inhibitors and ARBs can sometimes be responsible for the abrupt onset of renal failure in patients with renal artery stenosis. If you do a search for ACE inhibitors and renal artery stenosis you will find some literature and studies on the topic. I am trying to gain an understanding of why I felt so poorly. I had no symptoms until I went on the ACE inhibitor, and I 'm not yet back to normal after being off it for two months.