From Minocin to Methotrexate

Hi all

For 3 years I did pretty well on Minocin Antx. however, I have been going through a flair for 4 months. All my joints ache when I kneel or get into the bath. My left knee is swollen. The tendon connecting my right thumb is swollen and I cannot give the ‘thumbs -up’ sign. Between 2 and 4 am I have universal joint pain as I lie in bed. My left knee really hurts to the extent that I cannot move it. I have chronic fatigue.

Is the Minocin losing its efficacy? Should I go onto Methotrexate or will that also stop working? Please everyone share with me to help me to decide whether to stick to the Minocin or go onto the Methotrexate.

Ken.

ive tried metotrexate and i cant take it. I get very nauseated from it. I was taking six pills a day. I tried to take them at night before bed and then I tried to split 3 & 3 still made me sick. My RA doctor did not replace it with anything else. Try it maybe it will work for you.

I have been on 20 mgs of Methotrexate a week since my diagnosis last March. It took about 3 months before it really kicked in, but I have to say that I rarely get flares now, and when I do, they last a few hours, max. My sed rate has also dropped down to normal - last check it was 18.

I don’t have major problems with nausea. My doc also Rx’d Folic Acid, that I take each day. That seems to keep any side effects away.

I also know folks who take the Methotrexate via a shot, which help to avoid any stomach upset, and can be more effective.

I started on Methotrexate a year ago. I’m at the lowest dose 7.5 mg/week. I had nauseau in the beginning then I started drinking 1-2 cups of ginger tea prior and eat breakfast prior to taking the Methotrexate. The ginger tea really helps prevent the nausea. I use the Yogi brand in the health food section of my grocery store.

I have been on MTX (methotrexate) for four years. I take 12.5 mg a week (7 tabs) and take them at bedtime. I also take 1200 mcg of folic acid a day, to prevent the mouth sores you can get with MTX because it prevents the uptake of folic acid in your diet.

One BIG POINT I discovered about MTX. DON’T TAKE ST. JOHNS WORT when you are taking MTX. The herbal supplement decreases the effectiveness of the MTX by about 50 percent. I started having flares and joint pain and couldn’t figure out why. When I stopped the St Johns Wort, the flares stopped and within 2 weeks I was back in remission.

I am in the same condition. Used Minocin, then Doxycycline for 18 mos, which totally put the symptoms and flareups into remission. Then they came back 6 mos. ago. Am fighting the leaky gut (as verified by a colonoscopy) with probiotics and nutritionals, while still "pulsing " the doxycycling, but the RA seems to be slowly but surely gaining ground…getting established in my hands, ankles, shoulder, knees. Still able to get around, but beginning to wonder if I have to move up to methotroxate…which sounds horrid but apparently after several weeks of nausea will hammer the RA into some sort of submission. My fatigue is really noticeable…have to drink coffee in the morning now, just to be able to stay awake past 8 pm. Feel like I am fighting for my life. Not ready for a wheelchair but have been preparing by getting more and more helpful tools for the kitchen (jar openers, etc.) and changing handles on doors to levers, putting up a set of bars in bathroom so I can lift off the commode when a knee is flared up. Very depressing, and fighting depression. Fortunately have very supportive friends, but I hate to drag them down with tales of my pain and handicaps. I am usually OK in the afternoon - mornings are the worst. Insurance will not really pay for much of any prescriptions, so I am looking at liquidating my retirement funds (I am 61) if I go onto Humira or Enbrel, which AARP says would cost from $15,000 to $75,000 per year. Hopefully methotroxate is more reasonable…I am single and just get by as it is. Not a happy situation overall.