FX and bad words

My son was just diagnosed with FX. I’m glad to finally know what is going on with him, and I am totally cool with him being this way. But…he has just started Kindergarden, in the Special Ed class. He’s usually pretty well behaved and very sweet and cute. But, his teacher has been getting very upset about some of his behavior; especially his bad language that he uses excessively, obsessively, and for many different reasons, and alot when he’s around the “regular” kids. She seems to think this is my fault, and doesn’t seem to understand that I have tried very hard to get him to stop, but nothing’s worked. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have any ideas to help?
Jessica

Hello everyone!

Sorry you have to get this email but we’re moving and you know how organized AT&T is, right? We’ll be back online September 20th. Take care, God bless and hugs to all of you…

The Nichols’ Clan.

Our son is 12 and yes we are having the same problem. He does not use the words and hand signs so much at school as much as he does at home. We are still working on solutions. We have found that he does get bored with words and moves on to new words. We also find that when he is not around the words outside that home. That he stops using them as much.

This is for Jessimilly:
I totally get whatyour going through. My 8 year old has fragile x and is in 4th grade special ed classes at a special achool. Noah has terrible bad language habits and my husband and I have no clue where he gets it. The teachers at his old school thought teh same thing about us. That he was getting from hearing us say it. I asked his pediatrician and he said no matter how many times you continually reiterate to him not to say it, once he’s heard it once from anywhere, he will continue to repeat it. It takes literally what feels like forever to stop it. Now that he is at a different school, Noah still uses bad words alot!! but they are extremely more patient with him in teaching him how to stop. Don’t stress it. It will stop but it takes alot of patience and understanding and ALOT of time.

Thanks for the responses!!! I am happy to know I’m not the only one who’s son is doing this. I have tried everything, and nothing has worked. Now I am trying to just get him “hooked” on different words, so maybe the bad ones will faze out. Eventually. But yes, I have definately found that telling him not to say them does not work at all. If anything, it makes him want to say them more. Just have to hang in there I guess.
Jessica

Try using reverse logic.

Say something like.  "I really don't like you to say "Dam It", but not matter what do not say "DOG GONE IT".

Emphasize it.  If he is like my step son, he will stop saying the one and start saying the one you asked him not to say.

Dennis

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [fragilex] FX and bad words
Date: Mon, September 24, 2007 7:34 pm
To: dwb@bankov.cc

I agree with you Dennis,
We had a difficult time at one point with my youngest step-son, now 9 years old, who was picking up things either at his mothers, or at the school. His EA made a great suggestion to us… His ‘phrase of choice’ at one time was ‘f-ing psycho’ - so every time he’d say it, we said ‘motorcycle! wow, they’re neat’, or something to that effect. He stopped saying what he wasn’t supposed to, because he wasn’t getting the reaction from us that he expected. (Even negative reinforcement still reinforces behavior). Now the word is ‘stupid’, but obviously that isn’t as bad as expletives! We are trying to exchange that word with other, more acceptable words, so if he says “stupid movie”, (if the dvd isn’t working), we’ll say something like “silly movie, is it stuck again?”. We’ve found that the more we say ‘don’t say that word!’, the more he says it. I think he likes the attention.
Lisa

DBinVB fragilex-cpt5955@lists.careplace.com wrote:

My 4 year old cousin has fragile x syndrome, and he was leaving with us for a period of time and we thought that he had picked up the bad language from being at his mom’s house so we were very concerned…however we soon realized that once he heard it and people would tell him not to say it, he would find it even more funny. So, my mom, my sister and I would come up with silly words to say instead of bad words, so if someone stubbed their toe or was having a rough time with something and felt like swearing we would say a different word that sounded silly…soon these words were catching on instead of the bad ones…and it was fun teaching him in this way instead of trying to use discipline tactics.