Groin pain

I’ve had something new crop up this week. I have a new pain in my left groin/inguinal area. It gets worse after I get up in the morning and get active and then by the time I get to work, I can hardly walk (Tuesday afternoon, I couldn’t walk!). Dr. did a CT and only finding was swollen lymph nodes, but not significantly bi. I don’t seem to have an obvious infection going on. I spose this is more DD!?

oh, and my left leg has been noticable swollen and then it is back down to normal in the mornings.

Kathie, Have you seen the pictures that I have listed on my site? I have a noticable left leg swelling. What they said is that I have lipomas pressing on my lymphatic system which is causing the swelling in my left leg. Remember some people have soft lumps and sometimes they are hard to detect on imaging since they are fat.

I am so sorry that you are having problems with that. I understand.  I think my last flare hit just about every place on my body.  I also noticed my lumps grew like crazy all over my body after the swelling in my leg.  I wish I knew what caused the storage. 

Love you, Kathie.

Hugs, Christine

kATHILETH…Do you have multiple lumps in the groin? Mine encircle the groin and rub against the ones in my very upper leg where it attatches. It hurts to sit up as that presses on them. Yesterday in my scooter at the store I could hardly stand to sit on it as it made my lumps get pushed on. I think the ones in that area are the most painful ones I have…along with the horrible ones in my lower spine where the piraformus muscle meets the sciatic nerve. The groins ones are from small to large and boy if you press on them it sends them to the moon. I was pressing on them one time trying to get them to go down and the next day I could not walk or sit up. I don’t know if that is what you have or not but I can clearly feel the lipomas. Boy! Wow! What pain! You poor thing. I don’t know what we can do in that area. You can not really use an ice bag there in this cold weather we have. I send you my sympathy. Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

GMaS, I don’t know that I feel any lumps, the doctor felt the lymph nodes and they were on the sono and CT. The radiologist has taken an interest and had researches DD so when he reads, he looks for any lipoma. Having them on your spine must be terrible!

Christine, is the swelling down when you get up in the morning and then builds again throughout the day?

Hi Kathie,

Yes, it is probably DD. I have terrible groin pain too. Takes my breath away when it hits. I keep thinking maybe I have another hernia, but I think its more likely that tumors grew in where I had hernias repaired. My legs swell too, but I’m not sure if its related to the groin pain.
A CT usually won’t show out tumors, since they are made of fat.

Hugs and spoons,

Pamela

No, My swelling comes and goes when it wants to. I have no way of knowing when it is going to swell. Propping it up doesn’t help either. I have to just let the swelling go down. I just bed rest that is my only recommendation. You have to let the tissues rest.

kATHIEH…my foot and ankle swelling gets worse during the day. The groin pain is constant. If you have DD lumps in your groin you could definitely feel them! Maybe they are just starting to form? My bigger ones show up as shadows on MRIs. They need to invent some kind of heat sensing thing to find them…as the cells don’t make heat normally. CHRISTINE…I think stress makes DD worse and you are under a lot right now…maybe that is what triggered your flare. Get Better! Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

I have painful lipomas in my groin area… I can feel mine though. They are the size of M&Ms. Not sure if it is the same thing you are experiencing. Mine flare up sometimes but I haven’t noticed a pattern.

Suri…Do yours hurt awful when you press on them? The ones in my groin are especially tender. My own belly presses on them and it hurts to sit up on my scooter as they kill me when pressed on. I have tried direct sustained pressure on some before as it seemed to make them smaller even though it is extremely painful. After a time of pressing some of them seemed to get smaller or maybe just deeper? This really hurts so don’t try until you are ready for some real pain. In the long run it did not help as they always come back. In massage they call this “releasing a trigger point”…and it only makes them smaller for a very short time and it seems to make others come to the surface. This would only work with the soft squishy ones the hard marble ones won’t go down at all. I tried this for years even using a massage therapist but in the end I had more than ever. Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

Mine hurt when I press on them too Sylvia. I wonder why our lumps are so
different. I have one in my upper right abdomen area that really hurts bad
with the slightest touch. Just barely running my finger over it is
horrible!!! Then I have some that sting like a three inch needle piercing
me and then stop and don’t hurt again for weeks! I did have a cluster of
three that ached every single day (they were removed)… AND I have 4 that
have never ever hurt at all. It really is a weird condition! I also have
pain where I have no lumps!! No wonder my old doc thought I was a nut case!

I don’t think I could handle any kind of massage therapy on mine. It is
just too painful for me.

Believe me Suri…the pain is incredible with trigger point therapy. I suffered through it is the hope that it would help in the long run but of course I continued to get worse. One technique is to press on one and more your body in that area until it quits hurting then sustain that position while you apply pressure. It probably won’t help. I think it squishes some of the fluid out from around the lipoma for a time but it just makes more. Maybe Dr. H has heard of this and has an opinion about using it or what it does. Get Better! Warm Hugs, Grandma Sylvia

GSylvia,
I agree with the Trigger Point therapy, it hurts like crazy, I have a great therapist. He has kept me going for a year now. But he is hesitant to touch me right now I have had such a bad flare in my shoulder and down left arm, I can’t remember I mentioned it anywhere here. But it has been a rough one.
There is another technique that is very helpful and that is lymph drainage massage therapy, its gentle and they move the fluid away from the areas that are inflammed. Its a matter of finding someone you trust to know what they are doing. I have a wonderful lady who is blessed with the healing touch. I was scared at first. I just don’t want to bring anymore pain than I have to deal with already. But ask your doctor about it, but then again so many “doctors” don’t hold with that kind of treatments. I know for a fact that it helps me.
As I understand some of the research done by Dr. Herbst that some of this DD is due to a leaky lymph system. So to my way of thinking it could only help to move the fluid away so the body can rid itself of it. Just a thought.

Hugs,
Brennie

Brennie, that lymph drainage massage therapy is the recommended treatment, along with compression garments, for those of us with Lipedema or Lymphedema.

Hugs,

Pamela