Hair loss?

I hae BD and have started losing my hair in clumps when I wash it in the shower or blow dry it…anyone else with this issue. I really don’t want to be bald!
Thanks
Stacie

Stacie, I am having some issues with this too. I am not sure if it is from
the behcet’s or the medication. My hair is not really coming out in clumps,
but I have lost about half the volume of my hair over the last 3 months or
so. I had a lot of hair to begin with, so no one has noticed, but I am
starting to get a little alarmed.

I am sorry you are going through this!

Kim

On Nov 30, 2007 8:22 PM, stacib behcets-cpt6966@lists.careplace.com wrote:

Hi Stacie, I can relate to the hair loss and would just like to say how sorry I am that you are going through this! I have lost my hair 3 times now and it has just grown back again… My hair loss is due to the Azathioprine that I am taking for the Behcets.It fell out in clumps just like yours and came out rather quickly. Luckily mine does grow back again after several months, its just ashame that it doesn`t hang around for long before it comes out again!
I have invested in some rather nice long wigs which luck and feel just like the real thing…I also have bought some bandanas which have hair hanging down from the bottom and do look very stylish especially in the summer (cost just £40 here in the uk) the wigs were free on the nhs and you can choose 2 a year!
Your hair could grow back yet and I really hope it does, I know just how unfeminine it can make you feel to lose it…
Stay strong and remember your not alone!

Yikes! I am on Azothioprine as well! He just increased my dose too! How much do you take…I am on 75 mg…this is quite upsetting. I wonder if I should ask for a different med? I go back to my Rheumy on Monday.
A wig would be fun for a while…but I love my hair :frowning:
I’m sorry you have to deal with this as well…we’re all in this together aren’t we! Thanks for lending your support!!
My daughter tirns 11 today and I am not going to think about anyone but her for now!
Thanks!

Stacie,

I take 150 mg of Imuran every day. I do lose hair but always have. My thyroid condition also causes hair to fall out. Although it is distressing to lose a brush full of hair everytime you groom and strands fall out all through the day it isn’t as bad as losing all your hair to chemo (which I did). The little new hairs standing up as they grow in are encouraging to me that I can and do still grow hair!

When you think about the alternative…horrid mouth sores…and losing a bit of hair I lean toward continuing my medication. :wink:
Louise

Stacie, Im currently taking 150mg a day, 50mg to be taken 3 times a day! They are talking of increasing it again. I tell myself that Id rather be hairless and virtually pain free (apart from the bloomin mouth ulcers that is,because they are never under control and throb like mad) than be riggled in pain and have my hair!
You do get used to the lack of hair eventually although there will always be days when you will feel fed up about it!
Ever fancy a chat or a good old moan about it I`m always here to listen!
Hope your daughter have a fab birthday!
xVickyx

I am loosing my hair to due to the BD but also to the meds. I am also taking Azathiroprine. Don’t be to alarmed though It will grow back and you can always get a wig. I noticed when I cut my hair short, I am talking guy short, my hair lose isn’t as bad. I don’t know if that will help you but I think it has something to do with the weight of your hair pulling on your scalp. Also my mom is a hair dresser and wig stylist and she tells people on Chemo and who have Alapesia to put vitamin E oil on thier scalp this helps your hair grow easier and if you want it to grow back thick and strong take a kelp supplement but be sure to check with your doc on that first.