Hello group

Nice to know there is a forum to discuss and cope. My father possibly has warnike-korsakoff syndrome. I looked all over on the internet and belive that is it. He has struggled with his alcoholism fo years in and out of rehab. He also has belived that he needs alcohol. But his mind has slipped away and my sister and I are the only ones who havent given up. Its been a long roller coaster ride. We spent easter sunday all night in the emergency room with him and was sent home with ativan and librium to detox him at home. solastnight we took him to a different hospital and they took chest x rays , he might have pnemonia. so he is admitted and getting clearance there. But where do we go next? I  dont know. I would like to know more about what to do and how to do it, any ideas are welcome. I look forward to hearing back, and wish everyine the best of hope faith and blessings. My father was a firefighter, ems for years and always cared for others, his firetruck accident gave a him a rare disease called RSD ( reflex sympathetic dystrophy) a burning pain all over…so alcohol was all he had. Now he has all 3 alcoholism, wks & Rsd…thanks for listning  Sunni

Hello, I have a son in a nurseing home with WKS. He has been there almost 5 years. Yes he is an alcoholic, but has never mentioned wanting a drink of alcohol since he became a resident of the home. He has no memory of ever drinking. He lived about 100 miles from me and we did not know of his problem until we went down for a visit. He was taken to the hospital and a neurolgist saw him and diagnoised WKS. The memory part of the brain is what is effected the most. He can remember some of his childhood, but when I visit him and then leave and getinto my car on the parking lot, he does not even reme ber I was there. . I am sorry to hear about your Dad, are any of his symptons the same as my son? He is on RX that helps him. He is now in wheel chair 24-7 but cam manage to go to the dining room , feed himself, take his own shower, and have a good conversation with others. It is just that 5 minutes later he remembers none of it. Would love to hear from. This is such a rare disease, None of the nurses at the home had ever heard of it, and we have several really great Dr.'s in our city, but only 1 that has ever treated WKS. Yes he is my son’s Dr. now.

Yes, my dad has the same memory problems. He remembers much about what
happened years ago, but forgets that my brother is married or that he went
to the store in the morning.

He’s in an assisted living place and is able to walk, although it’s very
slow and halting. He goes out in the van almost every day, they take them
to the store or to a park or library.

He’s on many different medications, one is for Alzheimer’s symptoms, another
for seizures, etc.

The nurses are very kind to him and help him quite a bit. I visit every
week.

Anything I can help you with, I would be glad to try.

Amanda

-----Original Message-----
From: bettyboop2003x [mailto:wks-cpt2644@lists.careplace.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2007 9:54 PM
To: accp@1st.net
Subject: Re: [wks] hello group

Betty B- you sure are right about heartache for the caregiver…My wife of 23 years has WKS…She lives at home with me. It’s only me, 24/7. I couldn’t take care of her and work a 60 hour week…None of our family would/could help, so I quit my job, and am starting over…looking for more time to be with her, trying to keep her from getting worse, without losing my mind…Still haven’t gotten thru this yet…

My son had not had a drink for 13 years prior to being diagnosed with WKS. He has been in the nursing home 5 years now. For the past year he has been in a wheel chair. His memory is very short and at times he talks very little. Says he cannot remember anything. It is a rare disease.So many medical trained people have never heard of it, it is hard to get proper care. I wonder if any of you have had a relative with WKS longer. There is no cure… only heartache for the care persons. Betty Boop

At 03:11 PM 8/9/2007, you wrote:

My son had not had a drink for 13 years prior to being diagnosed
with WKS. He has been in the nursing home 5 years now. For the
past year he has been in a wheel chair. His memory is very short
and at times he talks very little. Says he cannot remember
anything. It is a rare disease.So many medical trained people
have never heard of it, it is hard to get proper care. I wonder if
any of you have had a relative with WKS longer. There is no
cure… only heartache for the care persons. Betty Boop

I was diagnosed with WKS over a year ago. I have made a phenomenal
recovery, but it is rare. I still do have some memory problems, but
I was tested and they are not severe at all. I just know my memory
is not as good as it was before I got sick.

Sherry

I hope your wife is doing better. Yes it is a full time job to be the
caregiver. My son has been in a nursing home 5 years. Each day I go visit and
wonder as I walk down the hall how he will be today. Some days good and we
enjoy the visit. Some days sad, and he just sits and stares and dosen’t even
talk at all. WKS is a strange diease and few Dr’s. really know how to treat
it. Several Dr.'s have told me they have heard of it, but actualy know
nothing about it. God Bless You

************************************** See what’s new at http://www.aol.com

can anyone answer this. My dad drank for 40 years heavily. in and out of rehabs, jails, etc his last binge did him in mentally he has all symptoms, dizzy, confused, barely walk without help of a walker, blurred vision, but no one has actually diagnosed him, is it too late to treat him with thiamine? or is there anything out there that we could supplement him with to help? thank you sunni