Help

Okay I need help.
Bailey is in pain about 20hrs out of the day. She acts like she is in pain all the time, I though it could have been gas, but when I do decompression’s I hardly get any gas out. She will hardly eat (she’s a month an a half old, she was eating 4 oz. of EBM, but I dried up and gradually switched to formula over a 2 week time period) I’m only getting her to take 1 1/2oz. or 2 oz. rarely 3oz. at a feeding. She starts out eating great, and then I can hear her stomach emptying into her intestines or something, and that’s when she starts to scream. And then I can’t get her to eat anymore. I am doing Dilation’s 11-12, and also doing rectal irrigations, and decompression’s everyday 2x’s daily. The Dr. put her on Flaygl yesterday, so hopefully it will work, but how long does it take to work if that is what is wrong with her? He said he thinks she may have a low grade infection. What do you think? She has been this way for about 3 1/2 weeks now. NO SLEEP for either of us. Should I switch her to soy formula, could she be lactose intolerant? She also has eczema on her face, could that be a sign the regular formula is upsetting her stomach? She does have scar tissue built up (being that we are doing the dilation’s), and since I am not getting a lot of gas out, could this just be cramping? I am just so confused what to do. Should I go and see a ped. GI Dr.? She doesn’t have one at this time. Her surgeon says I have to HIGH expectations since my son did so well after his pull-thru (he had NO problems)!! But I don’t, I just don’t think she should be in pain all day long!! Please HELP!
She is also on probiotics.

I’d give the Flagyl a try because it might be an infection. If that doesn’t work and your surgeon is still brushing it off, then I would go seek out a GI. It never hurts to have a second opinion.

I’m so sorry that Bailey is so uncomfortable! I hope it gets better for the two of you soon!

jessica

Oh my goodness my son did the exact same thing when I switched him over to reg formula!! I had no idea a tummy could make teh noises my lil mans made, it was terrible! Yes I would give the soy a try, Austin seen his GI doctor and he agreed he def needed the soy and they are thinking he is lactose intol. He also was given flagyl, didn’t seem to help much. Now he is 15 months old and can’t have reg milk he is on Next Step. I know how hard it is to see your lil one in so much pain and not be able to comfort them, I hope the soy helps. Please let me know how things go

I’d suggest you see a pediatric GI. I don’t think your expectations are too high. She should not be in pain 20 hours a day post op. Chase was colicky after his surgery but he did sleep pretty well considering. He has always eaten very well post op. Were you eating dairy when you were breastfeeding? If she is lactose intolerant she should have reacted to that as well. I think when any baby is not eating or loosing weight it deserves serious attention. 3 1/2 weeks is such a long time. Probiotics don’t work for Chase and a GI can tell you if that is right for Bailey or not. They tend to be more constipating so that may not be the best solution for her.

Good Luck,

I am not a dairy fan, so i didn’t consume hardly any dairy while breastfeeding. So I can’t really tell you if she would have had a reaction while breastfeeding. I am just so confused and frustrated at this point I just want something to work. I’ll give the fagyl till Friday to see if it is having an effect on her, and if it doesn’t I’ll switch to soy. Should I do that gradually?? half and half for a couple days? I see her ped. tomorrow so I will ask to see a ped. GI.