High Platelet Counts/Spleenectomy

Hi,
I am looking for information on methods to lower one’s platelet counts, after a spleenectomy. I had my spleen removed 4/5/07. I understand that normally after a spleenectomy one’s platelet count increases (mine was >800K). Immediately, my doctor prescribed Anagrelide to counter that but my insurance would not pay for it. The doctor felt it was still early after surgery so decided to see what happened after another week. Within 5 days I was “enjoying” a hospital stay that lasted 11 days. I developed clots in my lungs.

During my stay and since I’ve been taking (insurance paid) Anagrelide. The problem now is in the reduction of the Anagrelide, which is causing many side effects - similar to prednisone (weakness, blurred/double vision).

On 2 mg, my count goes to the 600K range, on 1 it goes back up to 775K. Now I am stuck on this roller coaster for a bit.

Has anyone had any similar issues? Or better yet, what has worked for you!

Thanks all,

JoAnn

Hello CT1957-JoAnn, I have just the oppisite, (sorry can’t spell), mine platelates are 26k, and they haven’t figured mine out yet either, so when you find out anything please let me know ok…
thanks and have a pain free day, god bless…Mrs. Barb

Date: 2007/06/19 Tue AM 10:19:47 CDT
To: msboosting@windstream.net
Subject: [aha] High Platelet Counts/Spleenectomy

Hello JoAnn. You might try posting your query on the Yahoo aha site. I know at least a few of the members there have had a splenectomy. Good luck,

jack