High trigylcerides and pancreatitis

HI, I have had a severe acute attack about a year and half ago with a "flare up’ about 2 months ago. No known cause other than an occasional increase in triglycerides. Does anyone know about triglycerides as an issue. Even with a low fat diet the triglycerides can still be high. Thanks for any information. PJB

Yes, high triglycerides is a well-known culprit in pancreatitis attacks. I think that there is a good mention about them on the www.top5of5.com website.

I know that mine were about 1300 in the past, which is a little teeny bit :wink: high!

Anyse

I think that it is kind of a feedback issue. Remember that your pancreatic enzymes are what help you digest fats properly. If your pancreas isn’t functioning properly, your triglycerides will be high. Before I was diagnosed with pancreatitis, my triglycerides were 501. I changed some of my eating habits and (still pre-diagnosis) got them down to 344. With the enzymes and all, I am now down to 260.

I was going to ask if Low Platlets have anything to do with CP? any info.
let me know k…

Have a great day
Mrs. Barb :slight_smile:

Hi my name is Larry, and I have had pancreas problems for 19 years. They finally sent me to Duke University after a 2 months stay in the hospital about 16 years ago. They found out I have a pancreas divisium. My trig. levels has run as high as 5500 and normally they are from 1800 to 2500. I usually have a attack when they get up around 4000. The doctors has tried some meds. to lower them but 1 of the side affects is pancreatitis and when I tried them I would feel bad or have a attack. I wish everybody with this disease good luck, and hope you have a pain free day. If you want to talk you can e-mail me.

Hi my name is Barb, and I can relate to all the pain, however I don’t think that i have ever had my triglycerides checked maybe this is something i need to do? I know that i have very very low platelets and being tested as we talk, I am hoping that it is not the C word but this is what they are looking into I wish you the very best and a pain free day for you as well. you can email me at msboosting@windstream.net anytime, I look forward to hearing back from you.

Mrs Barb…:slight_smile:

Larry,

They are not sure why my triglycerides are so high but they have put my on so much stuff it/s crazy. They tried Statins but I started having leg cramps. I am now on Tricor, Niacin, Omacor but they were 1600 the last check. I was curious if they think the high triglycerides are from the pancreatic divisum or not? I had a doctor tell me one time that he thought I could eat grass and they would still be high. I am also now starting to have elevated liver enzymes b/c of the triglycerides. Any info would be so helpful.

Blessings to you,
Angela

P.S. This is really delayed b/c I have just now been able to get back to my
computer.

My triglycerides are about 1800. My liver is pre-sclerotic now as it is inflamed all the time and the liver enzymes are always high. I have a veery fatty liver. My GI expects me to have my liver either burst one day or become so sclerotic that I will have to have a liver transplant. This is one of the nasty complications that one can get from CP and all of the medications that one has to take. In my case, I was on IV for 10 months and NPO all that time. It was the infusion of so many meds and antibiotics that my liver was damaged back then.

Sometimes I wonder . . .

Anyse

Anyse,

You remind me of my mother. She is a southern women who can tell you to go to h*ll and you would thank her. If you want to know what she thinks on a topic just wait…you’ll know. So I love your attitude. She has dealt with my pancreas crap since I was a kid (4 weeks old…joy!) and has no problem backing doctors into corners. She told my current GI that she figured he must be an expert in *ssholes since he sees so many and he is one.

Needless to say, I don’t take her with me when I am forced to see this…man. He however is the only one who will touch me because of my history, poor health (CP, DM, High triglycerides and cholesterol) and as I was told by one doc “you are so young to be so sick and what you have is very potentially fatal”. Nice. He was the one who told me that my liver is “fatty” due to the triglycerides and that my liver enzymes are elevated. Unfortunately I know too much because I am an RN. Ignorance can sometimes be bliss. Anyway, you are an inspiration in that you live life on life’s terms. I find myself wanting to throw pity parties for myself sometimes and I have no right. Yes, I should have died in 1978. No, I didn’t. And yes, I am suffering from damage done but each day is a new one and you and the others have given me renewed hope. Here’s to a new day.

Angela