I am embarrassed

to tell you all this, but if I cannot be honest and vulnerable here, where else can I go? My ex-boyfriend and I spoke yesterday. We work together and had to go to a meeting and of course, it is impossible for us to stay apart when we are in the same room. My knees go weak when he comes close and there is a sexual reaction that, quite frankly, is overwhelming. He knows it, too.

So, he starts pushing to get together tomorrow night. The last conversation we had last weekend was to say good-bye because I expressed my need for more and he basically told me that he was not in a place to give me more. We agreed to part and he even said that he may consult with a therapist to help him sort through this.

Yesterday i didn’t say i would go on Friday. Instead i told him that i’d talk to him later. Well, of course he has called 3 x since then, wearing me down asking me to go out with him. I reluctantly agreed and i am hoping that we will be able to talk this through and come to a common understanding about what we are doing in this relationship. I think that I am stupid to try again, but i feel too weak to say no at this point. Today was a sad day, attending the funeral of my former Mother-in-law and I guess i was so vulnerable that when he called I couldn’t resist any more.

First of all, don’t be embarrased, we’ve all been there, done that.

All I can advise is this…

either put youself in the mind-set of not wanting anyting but temporary pleasure and enjoyment for yourself for the evening and take if for what it is, give yourself permission to enjoy yourself in the moment, and don’t expect or feel cheated when no more than temporary pleasure comes from it…

or

stick to your guns, and demand the time with him be spent w/ you tomorrow night on discusisng and laying out what will be the parameters of your realtionship going forward.

or

make sure you get both.

Either way, don’t be afraid to set boundaries and be tough with him, or to concentrate on getting your own needs met. If he senses he can manipulate you, or that you are weak, he will. If he senses he cannot, manipulate you, and that youare determined to take care of yourself and enjoy yourself regardless of HIM, under any circumstances…he may respect that more than you know…and it may very well turn the tables.

Whatever happens, concentrate NOT on him, but on getting YOUR needs met, either short term, or long term. Do not spend any time worrying about what he wants…concentrate on what you want…either long term, or short term. Make it work for YOU.

Best of luck to you.

SMG’s right, don’t be embarrassed. I’ve fallen off the wagon a dozen times with my Ex. These situtaions are exremely difficult. How do you tell someone you love over and over again that you don’t want them, when deep down you do! Also, I couldn’t add anything more to SMG’s advice. Go into it with your eyes open and take care of you.