I just gave birth to a baby with Anencephaly

I just gave birth to a baby girl with Anencephaly. I was five months pregnant. She lived a little over an hour and my family was there to take pictures and give her hugs and kisses. We tried to make the best of the situation. We had a funeral for her last week and had every pink flower possible. I thought I was going to be at piece with this but needless to say I am a wreck. I have a 1 & 2 year old to keep me busy but I can’t stop grievng. My husband has gone back to work and I’m left to think about her 24/7. I can’t stop crying. I have so many questions and I feel so much hurt. I hear people say it will just take time and to just stay busy but that only works for awhile. I had foot prints and hand prints made on many things, I brought her blanket home that they wrapped her in, I have pictures golore but it’s still not enough. I want my baby. I just wanted to see how other mommies got through this horrible time.

Hello Claine,
I gave birth (induction) to a dauther (Rilie) at 18wks on 3-31-08. She was stillborn and she was my first and only pregnancy. You are a strong woman - I don’t think I could have handled watching her pass. I never thought I would get back to a state of normality. It is true what they say about time - it has gotten easier although we’ll never forget. However, I am coming up on my due date on 9-14-08. I really am scared about how that’s going to drag me down again. I was right where you are now. I did okay when my husband was home but when he left I think I had too much time on my hands to think about it and let is consume me. I’m a rational person and I have to admit that I had some seriously unrational thoughts. Remember you are going through some unwanted postpartum too which is certainly not making your mournig any easier. You are in my thoughts and please feel free to contact me if you ever want to talk. I know what it’s like to feel so alone but I’m tnankful to have found others even though I have never actually talked with anyone here. Take care of yourself Claine.

Hi Claine,

I am almost 5 months pregnant with a little girl with anencephaly. I hope to carry my baby to term and have found some other amazing women who have been through this that have really helped me to deal with having a baby that I know I will lose. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to talk. God Bless you and your little angel.

My husband told me at the funeral of my daugher “it will always hurt the same but eventually there will be longer spaces between the hurt”. He was right. As I sit here and think of my baby girl who was with me for 10 days (April 2004), I cry with the pain as though it happened yesterday. The comfort part… I can go weeks even months without the sadness. You will too… someday.

Hi Linda,

Thank you for sharing… I find great comfort in women like you who have been through what I am going through and have words of encouragement or advice on how to deal after the loss of the baby. If and when you are ready there is a great site that I visit daily with women dealing with anencephaly. There are women on there that lost their baby as far back as 1979 and feel they can help other women. The site is: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/anencephalyblessingsfromabove/

Take care.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful words. I will keep you in my prayers as well.
ÂÂ
Crystal

— On Mon, 9/1/08, Laura D anencephaly-cpt9952@lists.careplace.com wrote:

Subject: Re: [anencephaly] I just gave birth to a baby with Anencephaly
To: claine917@yahoo.com
Date: Monday, September 1, 2008, 10:40 PM