IBS Clinical Trial for Herbal Therapy Completed in 2007

While I was searching the internet for IBS information I ran across a clinical study that tested many botanical herbs to see if any would provide relief for ibs symptoms. Again, another clinical study validated the use of peppermint oil and caraway oil in enteric-coated form for improving the overall quality of life and symptoms in patients with ibs. I am a firm advocate of this type of therapy because it has done wonders for my ibs for the past 7 years. The product I use is called Regimint. It has the same ingredients.
The clinical study is easy to read and understand and it evaluates the short and long-term efficacy of combination herbal therapy(CHT) versus placebo in terms of improving the overall quality of life and symptoms in patients with ibs. Basically, are their any botanical herbs that would help ibs sufferers, and if so, rate them on effectiveness and safety for both short and long-term.
The clinical study was conducted and sponsored by Hadassah Medical Organization, one of the world’s leading institutions in health care, in Jerusalem, Israel. Total enrollment was 100 patients with ibs and the study started in July 2005 and was completed in January 2007.
The results of this clinical study gave botanical therapies a jadad score( a validated instrument scoring from 0-5 for asssessment of clinical trial quality). Any botanical therapy with a above 3 rating is clinical trial quality. The following botanical therapies with above 3 rating were peppermint and caraway oil in enteric-coated form, celandine extract, tumeric, artichoke leak extract, and peppermint and ginger extract. To view and read this clinical study in detail go to http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00130741
If you go to www.regimint.com, this site has clinical studies for peppermint and caraway oil in enteric-coated form and for only peppermint oil enteric-c oated. They do a comparison of the two studies which shows an overall effective rate of 95% for the peppermint and caraway and a 79% effective rate for the peppermint for patients with ibs. I think anybody suffering from ibs would find this interesting to read. What’s also great, they have a program called the IBS CHALLENGE where they let you try the product for free. You can’t beat that!
Also noting, Dr. Brad MD senior medical director at Revolution Healtha board
certified internal doctor and an expert in intergrated medicine and health and wellness confirms or gives thumbs up for the use of enteric-coated peppermint and caraway as a way to relieve symptoms of ibs and non-ulcer dyspepsia (indigestion). You can read DR. Brad’s blog “Peppermint for Stomach Ailments” written August 6, 2007. Check it out!