I'm having a EUS the 25th Input Would be appreciated

I’ve had this crap for 5yrs now, It took 5 yrs to get a Dr. to believe me, I guess because of my drugs and alchohol use, Anyway to make a long story short, I’m finally getting something done, I’m just getting a little anxious, from reading nightmare stories from ERCPs, Which I thought I was getting till I just read the form.
Can anyone tell me what to except, I’m assuming it isn’t as dangerous, or will bring on a flareup, because I was going to ask if I could stay overnight.

Thank you,

Hugh

Vonnie,

I couldn’t have said it better myself!
Love to you,

Jackie

HI,
I’m sorry to hear that you are not doing well. I’ve also heard a lot regarding ERCP, but have not had to have one yet. I’d be interested in what the procedure is and when it is determined you would need one?
Take care

Sossa,

They use an endoscopy procedure- go down the throat (while you are asleep of
course) do an endoscopic procedure that opens the ducts ant takes the
pressure. I believe I am explaining it correctly. Hope this helps

Jackie

Hugh,

I have had 13 ercp’s. They can cause a flareup. Most of the time they are not bad. It depends a lot on how badly your pancreatic duct is shut down. It also depends on the skill of the doctor you have. But sometimes it just happens even when things are on the good side. Your doctor should give you the percentage of having a flare up because of the procedure. Call his office and ask.

I have also had several eus’. These are not as bad because they are not putting something in. They are usually just looking or taking a stent out.

Have plenty of clear fluids on hand for when you get home. Also see if the doctor will give you a prescription for a pain reliever. Sometimes acetameniphen works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Clear fluids are apple juice(no pulp), white grape juice (no pulp), jello that is not red or orange, clear fat free chicken broth, and of course water. As you feel better you can add applesauce and soft mushy things. When you start to feel better I add Ensure (or generic equivalent), Carnation instant breakfast, and I also make my own fruit and vegetable juices. Eat solids as you feel better. Most important give yourself time to recouperate. You will know when you can eat solids. Your body will tell you. If you have gone for a week or have lost a lot of weight, take the pain killers and call your doctor. They do help to get back on a solid diet.

One other caution. If you have a stent in your pancreas be careful about exercising too vigorously. I walk. The stent can slip. That has happened to me about 3 times. I have always felt it slip. If that happens, call the doctor right away. It needs to come out or be replaced.

I hope this information helps you and not scare you. Your attitutde going into this is going to make a big difference. You can do this.

I will be praying for you.

Vonnie

Thanks Vonnie,

This is certainly a humbling existance, Your input was exactly what I was looking for. Do you know if they would put a stent in if they determin I need one while their in there poking around.
I’m not looking forward to this #$x$& next week, although my glass is 1/2 full for now, because I’m not getting the nausea I hear so much about, and my Amylese & Lips aren’t off the charts like so many, 750 at the most when I’m in the ER.

Thanks for your response

I gotta go walk these #@%^&* dogs.

Take care

Hugh,

It has never been my experience that they do a stent at the time they do an EUS. They have always scheduled the ERCP for another date.

The EUS is an ustrasound device that they put down into your stomach. They can “see” through the stomach wall into the pancreas. Sometimes they follow that with a CAT scan (at a later date) with contrast die before they schedule an ERCP. I don’t know how that sequence of events is determined.

Anyway, the EUS hs always been pretty easy on me.

I will be thinking of you this week and praying for an east procedure.

Keep the Faith and God Bless,
Vonnie

Hugh

Are you having an EUS or an ERCP? There is a difference. An EUS could be as simple as them looking at the pancreas and surrounding area with an ultrasound machine (EUS = endoscopic ultrasound). An ERCP is a bit more invasive but a similar procedure. Are they just looking or doing something? I have had multiple EUS procedures, one was just a looksie, all 8 others were for nerve blocks. I have never had a flare from an EUS but I had major issues with the ERCP (punctured duodenum). The EUS has saved my sanity because it helps so much with the pain, albeit short lived (2-3 months max). Good luck and keep us posted.

Teresa

Thanks for all of your responses,
It really helps, I’m not so uptight about it now, but still wary of the future, I,m trying to keep a stiff upper lip. It took me 5 years to realize this is serious, and the worst part is, I cant say Why Me, because I,m one of the poor hard headed alcoholic idiots, that went back to drinking after 6 months of my 1st accute attack, I rationalized, if I stopped drinking shots, and just stick with the beer I’d be fine. That party lasted 6 months, and I hav’nt had a drink in 4 years, or a cigerette. I still smoke pot though, which causes me concern, both from health and insurance matters. I should just stop, and I most assuredly will, willingly or otherwise, but its the only little pleasure I get outa life anymore, I can,t even eat my beloved chocalate or jelly donuts.
Anyway thanks, for listening to an old hippy, and wish everyone peace, and alittle relief from your pain.
Hugh

Hugh,
Don’t be so hard on yourself. We all make mistakes. Fortunately we can learn from them. You need to start looking toward something better. If you have had any faith in God maybe it is time to revisit that. God has been my strength and shield through this whole experience. I am so lucky to have Him. Plus my husband is a real gem.

Anyway, know that I will be praying for your strength to endure and your ability to find something positive in each day.

God Bless and Keep the Faith,
Vonnie

Hello Hughie, we haven’t meet yet, so I will introduce myself Mrs Barb it i=
s nice to meet you and read your post :wink: I had to chuckle at (alcoholic i=
diots) remark you made-lol Really it isn’t so funny when it happens to US w=
e always think it’s gonna happen to someone else! I too had a very very rud=
e awaking (sorry can’t spell) I have been 5 years sober, but I don’t call i=
t a recovering alcoholic, because I am not recovering I am a OFF/Happy/and =
of all things rid of the toxins of BEER…I only drank beer, well in my you=
nger years :slight_smile: I would do shots and JD, but for the most part it was only be=
er, having a 18-24 pack Daily. It’s really hard to believe that I survived =
my ICU stay, plus over a month in the hosp. iyiyia!!! Anyway your NOT an id=
iot, and should be so very proud of yourself!!! WE ARE!!! As for smoking p=
ot, well…it is being used for medical illness (chronic) so it can’t =
be that bad right? lol. I won’t talk about that here on firefly/careplace =
because not only do some people have issues with that subject, but firefly =
wouldn’t like it either. If you would like to email me to my personal email=
feel free to. Moosting@neb.rr.com oh dah it’s probably on this reply-lol =
I need to update my story here on firefly as I am not sure if all my info. =
transferred over from careplace? I am so glad that you are now relaxed abou=
t having your EUS procedure done, I had one done last yr. and only got a so=
re throat outta it :frowning: I am not sure where you live, but I have awesome doc=
tors here in NE. and wouldn’t change for nothing. I have a lot of health is=
sues and have finally won my SS disability case this last Sept. so the stre=
ss level has went down some, but I really miss my co-workers, and just havi=
ng adult social time, it’s just me and my dog most days, unless the hubby t=
akes time off of his two jobs :frowning: Ok it’s late and I need to get to bed, go=
tta have platelet transfusion tomorrow as I have dropped pretty low again :=
( (Blood disorders) my body eats up all my platelets like pac-man game, ma=
kes me angry. Ok hope to hear back from you, and best wishes on the 25th…=
I will be thinking of you, and saying a prayer for you as well. Big Hugs, =
With Love, Mrs Barb/aka-Barb

Goodnews, I think?
I had my EUS, and you’s were right, my throat was sore, I hav’nt had a sore throat in years, anyway, the doctor says I have a minor case of pancreatitus, with some slight abnormaities, and alittle narrowing of my ducts. and I finally got some serious pain killer, 4mg dilaudid every 8hrs,
and even that does’nt elimanate that ache in the back. Anyway If I only have minor panc. I feel for those that have it bad, because I’m a half inch to being home bound, not to mention anerexia, etc,etc.
Anyway he said he wants to inject nerve blockers or something down there, I was still alittle sleepy when I was talking to him.
So now I have to keep an eye on possible dependency.
Also I’d like to thank everyone for your correspondance, it helps enormously to know that someone truly empethises with me, there are so many aspects of this disease that is effected it becomes overwhelming. And we try not to become a burden. It sucks. I just have to play the hand that was delt me, like everyone else.
Goodnight and peace to all.

Sounds like good news to me! Sending you love and prayers!

Jackie

Hughie,

I’m brand new to this site, but wanted to reply to your report that you have mild pancreatitis based on EUS. Maybe it is mild, maybe not. I’ve learned that what the pancreas looks like is just one measure of how it’s doing. Function and apparent damage can be unrelated.

I just had my first EUS at Mayo and had that same result - mild, fairly minor changes to the pancrease. But that didn’t explain the enormous amount of fat that showed up as not absorbed when I did a 24 hour stool fat test after 3 (not fun) days of eating 100 grams of fat.

Because of the discrepancy they did a pancreas function test, a CCK test done following placement of two tubes during endoscopy. We’r talking seriously not fun here. A long, tough test with no pain meds or nausea meds. It’s a test done at only a very few places in the country. But it had to be done, because it showed I was only making 1/3 as much enzyme as I’m supposed to. So, somehow there’s a lot more damage than shows up on EUS.

They didn’t do an ERCP or biopsy on me, as I was too high risk at the time. They sent me home to take a lot more enzymes than I had been taking. I go back in 6 months for more tests. In the meantime, my diagnosis is mild early pancreatitis, but they say it’s not a classic case and when I go back and see their pancreatologist I’ll be surprised if that “mild early” label sticks. It sure doesn’t fit the degree of function I have left.

Anyway, I’ve learned that it can take a lot of different tests to make the whole picture with pancreatitis, and probably most GI doctors don’t even realize that.

RKG

Thanks RKG,
I kinda suspected something like that, the pain I’m having does’nt match the diagnosis. My problem is when I get a good diagnosis (minor) etc. I go into denial, and think I’m okay, next thing ya know I’m eatin cheesesteaks,
Its alittle differant now though, I have an ache now 24/7. Plus I got really depressed for a couple of days, not to mention the strain it puts on my wife. I feel pretty good now, I don,t have pain when I first get up.
gonna go have my oatmeal.

Hugh

The pain block they are talking about is a celiac plexus block. I have had wonderful results from them, although others have not. It is certainly worth a try. It is done via EUS and when I had my first one, I thought I died and went to heaven. They are short lived, 6-8 weeks, sometimes longer, but I continue to have them until my doc says he can’t anymore. There are some who feel you can only have so many while others say keep going (both anesthesiologist friends of mine). Doc K did try a celiac plexus neurolysis where the nerve is actually burned with alcohol but that did not go so well. The CPN is supposed to be longer term (1 year or so) but I had bad luck with no relief. Currently, Doc K uses Bupivacaine with Triamcinolone (a nerve blocker with a steroid) for me and, like I said, it is wonderful!

Good luck

Teresa

Man I hope so, this is some humbling experience. And I been around the block a couple a times.
Thanks for the info.
Hugh

My attack seems to be retreating, its down to a minor ache, and has been so for the last couple of days, I got my fingers crossed, and my guard up, and hope at a minimum, I have to be careful, because the first thing I do is go into denial, I start to sneak in lowfat mayo, then some cheese, then I think as long as I take my enzymes, and my EUS came out not so bad, a cinamin bun should’nt be so bad, then comes the bacon, etc, etc, I’ve been through this so many times, you’d think I’d learn, Man! I feel like Pinnochio in that amusement park, then comes the inevitable crash! The last time it was a piece of pork scrapple that sent me to the ER. So now, if I’m on the downswing of this last flareup, I have to drill it in my head that I’m sick, and stick to my diet. And continue to write in this foram.
Thanks for listening to my babling.
Hugh

My doc just recently prescribed Tramadol for pain. I’ve been lucky and relativly pain free for awhile now, but yesterday for dinner I fixed the kids gravey to go with their chicken and had some. I really felt it and tried to just wait out the pain, butit kept getting worse so I tried the Tramadol. Worked wonderful. Was able to function for the rest of the evening. No side effects, no drowsiness like some pain killers cause. Usually when I’m in pain I’m short tempered and have little patience, but this seemed to work for me. Does anyone else have experience with this pain killer? I’ve read that it can be habit forming, but my doctor doesn’t seem to think that this is a concern for me as I’m not an addictive personality, whatever that means. Based on results from last night I recomend it, but would be interested in what others think if they’ve used the drug.

Hi Sossa,
Yep, I was on several differant pain killer regimes, Gabernaton, and Tramodol, My primary care dr. started me on it when I first started having pain, about 4 yrs ago, he started me on Ultram (tramadol)300mg 24hr, WOW! I felt like I was speeding, I did that for a couple of days, they seemed to work, but they were way too strong! So he gave me 100mg 24hr, did them for about a week, still too strong, so I went on 50mg when needed, I was still working then, and although they helped with the pain for about a year, I got addicted to them, I was taking around 6 to 8 50mg a day, I had to ween my self off them, which I did, and it did’nt seem to dificult as I remember
to get off em. Then I would take one or two a couple times a week, they seemed to give me energy, like I said, (speeding) without the crash. I stopped taking them altogether a couple months ago when I had a flareup, I still have a whole bottle of em, along with a bunch of other non narcotic drugs that I don’t use.
I think the doctors give us the non-narcs first, to make sure we are’nt drug seeking, and several other reasons. It took me 5 yrs to get a diagnosis, I felt like the docs did’nt believe me, or passed me on to other docs. Like I said I had my first EUS last week, and finnaly got the narcotic pain killer that I desperatly needed, and I try not to take them, because of my addictive nature.
The Tramadols are good, just be careful.
Hugh