In denial or just numb

Hi Patsy,

Your experience is the exact reason that I never attended a group meeting to begin with. This is actually the first group anything that I’ve joined. This is what I tell people:

1st: If you’ve never had (specifically) breast cancer, you can imagine how you might ‘feel’ with the initial diagnosis, the idea of an early death, etc., but you CANNOT POSSIBLY KNOW WHAT I’M GOING THROUGH.

2nd. If you’ve been told that your lump is cancerous but all you need endure is a lumpectomy and radiation, NO CHEMOTHERAPY, YOU CANNOT POSSIBLY KNOW WHAT I’M GOING THROUGH.

3rd. If you’ve been told that your lump is beyond any type of treatment and are given months to live, I CANNOT POSSIBLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH.

It’s a similar reason why I chose two female OB/GYNs (who gave birth themselves) to deliver my two babies. I don’t care if a male doctor has delivered 20K babies in his life, he knows nothing about pregnancy, labor, and delivery.

When I went to the doctor for the first time and he coldly told me what the problem is and what I’d have to endure if I wanted to live, I cried, screamed, you name it. No other oncologist in this hospital had breast cancer who could relate to me; that’s why I was almost forced to chose this doctor. He’s good, but very cold. Anyway, the nurse asked if I wanted to speak to their on-staff psychologist because of my depression. Did she ever have cancer of any type? Of course not. What in the world could she help me with?
I actually told the nurse that it’s insulting to have someone working to help women through this who has never had cancer herself.
To repeat Patsy: READ READ READ . . .I have a friend who went to the same dr. as I have, and he told her to stay away from the internet and don’t read anything - HE’D take care of all her questions. I’ve literally pulled up thousands of sites to read. He knows it. That’s why I’m not one of his favorite patients (!)

Hang in there gal,,,and don't be afraid to ask your doc for some sleeping aids and meds for depression.  You need them so you can get through all the treatments, 

When I was dx last May 8th I came home and started getting on the internet, 

I also didn't fool around about getting anything done.  I wanted the cancer out and to get started on treatments as soon as I could.  We have enough on our plates without having to wait on getting our bodies taken care of!!!

And remember ask ask ask  no questions are silly or stupid!!!

I am really just now starting to deal with having cancer,  I finished all my treatments Dec 4th,  I think you just try to focus on the treatments and getting through them that you really don't realize the mental impact cancer has on you. So here I am still trying to come to terms with everything.

It all takes time so don't get discourage.

Steph

I felt the same way when I first started going thru everything.  You are acting perfectly normal.  It is an out of body experience at first.  I didn’t look at it as an illness.  I looked at it as a project I had to take care of.  I did everything one step at a time and kept my family and friends close for support.  I never did the why me thing.  I just felt like a soldier doing my job.  Sure sometimes you need a good cry but then you dust yourself off and go onto something positive.  I made lots of plans for when my treatment was complete.  I made plans for a vacation and other things I have always wanted to do so I had lots of great things to look forward to when it was all over.  You are what you believe.  So I totally believe this was just something I had to go through but everything was going to be just fine and nothing was going to stop me.  Every once in a while when I start to feel blue I just start thinking of something great I’m going to be doing soon or want to do and I put on some happy dance music or something and I pull myself right out of that blue feeling.

Hi Blu,

I was diagnosed with ductal carcinoma, stage 2 do to the size, 3 1/2 cm, also estrogen positive. I have had two surgeries and now I have to have chemo in two weeks. I was told it is going to knock me on my butt. I have cried and gotten mad, I would of cleaned but too sore because of my back to back surgeries. I have to tell you I am also scared to death and afraid I will not be able to take care of my kids like I always have. I have two older birth children and have just recently adopted two very young children. I am afraid if I am on my butt I will not be able to take care of them. as soon as I was diagnosed I went and went on a herbal regimen, the doctors say they are a waste but I feel better trying them. I hope your surgery goes well and good luck to you, looks like there is great support on this site. I love being able to read what all of these special peoplem have to say because like you sometimes I feel very alone. GOOD LUCK!!! I love cats, my cat is one of my best supporters:)

Thank-you

I was wondering about the bra.

Blu

Actually, the best is a front closure sports bra…

Hi fourkmom:

It’s too bad that medical doctors are not educated on alternate treatment, It’s as if they are afraid that they will work and are good for us, and it will cause doctores to lose all, some, or most of the money they receive for cancer surgeries. Doctors treat the lump/tumor mo the total person. You must treat the total you which includes your immune system. Which translates into changing you diet for the rest of your life, and taking herbs to strghten your immune system. Please try to occupy your time with continual reading and contact with us here on this website and family and firends. If youu want a basic diet and herbal infor start with this website:

Google: nutra-farmacy

download the Breast Cancer info sheet

Best regards,
patsy12

Thanks Patsy,

I actually went out the very next day, after being on the computer all night, and started myself on a regimen, things that were said to be good to increase you immune system. I am of course hoping they will help because the doctor told me the  treatments will "knoock me on my butt" and I have two newly adopted very young children. thank you for responding, sometimes I feel very alone in this thing and very sad. Hope to talk with you again.

Monique

I feel very thankful right now. Even though my surgery is only four days away. The surgeon is going to remove the cancer from my body. I have faith that it hasn't spread out of the duct and I won't need more surgery.  Thankful that the only treatment needed right now is surgery. One step at a time.

I'm also thankful that I found the support I need from this group. Every morning I start my day with my new friends. I come to this site and write a little. It drains my mind. It makes me feel a part of something. Connecting me to a community of people that my words can help and their words help me.

I had my Pre-opp on Tuesday. She told me to stop taking some meds. Suldinac and Glucosamine with Chondroiton. Than on the morning of the surgery stop the Avandia. But to go ahead and take the other nine meds that I take. I lucked out and didn't have to have any blood work done!!!

I'm scheduled for a needle loc at 7:30. I asked to be knocked out for this, but you have to be standing for it. ( I have a major fear of needles). I'm going to have a Valium 5MG.  When I had my biopsy the DR left a tiny marker in the spot that was in question.  Now the surgeon needs to know that exact spot. It's done by way of a mammogram. A tiny wire will be threaded to the spot where the cancer is. ( the marker is in that spot ) Once I get through that it's off to surgery at 8:30. It's A day stay procedure a lumpectomy.

I won't know the results of the surgery until my post-opp Apt. on March 27. My boy friend is going to be with me until the Friday after the surgery. That will give me three days of help after the surgery. Can anyone out their that had a lumpectomy tell me what it's like after the surgery. The surgeon is going to remove five and a half centimeters.                      Take Care, Blu  

Hi Blu,

I had 5 1/2 cm taken during my first surgery. The first surgery was actually suppose to be just a tumor removal because the in office biopsy had come back benign. So it wasn't until a week after my surgery that I was told I had cancer. Actually I am also a chicken of needles and had never had surgery, so I was so scared. The surgery went fine, I had a little trouble with the anesthisia, it made me sick. I actually went to my sons hockey game the very next day, I was still alittle woosy and I was sore. Definately wear a snug sports bra after the surgery for a while, it will help with pulling of the incision. And have some bags of frozen peas they work wonders!!!! I was up and around just not allowed to pick up my kids or mop, ect. You will do great, we are here for you. You are so very lucky though because after that surgery, two weeks to the day I had to have another surgery to check my lymph nodes, which were cancer negative and implant a mediport in my pectoral muscle for chemo which will start on April 3. Good Luck on your surgery, I will say a prayer for you.

Monique

My surgery went well. I'm glad it's behind me. The bra did wonders as soon as I put it on. Cut pain by 30% right away. I have a good feeling that the biopcy is going to come back cancer free. I found this site and use it often.  greatfulness.org/candles 

Thank-you for everyones support

Take care, Blu

Hi Blu,

Glad to hear the surgery went well and you are on your way to recovery. And having that great positive attitude will help. Thanks for the link, I will check it out. My body has finally about healed from both surgeries but now the Chemo d-day looms ahead and worries me. Last night went to a ACS sponsored program, Looking Good, Feel Better, it was nice to be with others with the same problem as me except I was the youngest and the next oldest was 10 years older than me. But I connected with someone who lives near me and has just started her Chemo, will be good to have someone to ""vent" to. Good luck on the negative biopsy results. Talk to you soon,

Monique