Insurance

Once again, we’re trying to get the health insurance to help pay for my son’s oral surgery. Any advice? I think their argument is that is is orthodontia, therefore not covered. What has been your experience?

Julie

My Grandson lives in Vancouver, the cleft palate society did help with dental costs.

Hello Julie:

I have been fortunate enough not to have surgery for a very long time on my mouth, but when I did, we had a major fight with them, because they insisted that it was dental - not medical. I believe that after many calls, the trick was to have the oral maxillofacial oral surgeon write a letter to explain that it is a medical condition - not dental.

Good luck. Did he just have extractions or implants?

JEan marietta

----- Original Message ----
From: jvogt05 cleidocranial-dysplasia-cpt8551@lists.careplace.com
To: mrmrspaul@sbcglobal.net
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 12:38:35 AM
Subject: [cleidocranial-dysplasia] Insurance

Just extractions. They placed a bar where his teeth were (he actually has no teeth right now) and attached chains that will pull up his adult teeth. I’m a little unclear on the details because he’s my stepson, and I haven’t been present at any of the meetings with the doctors. I hear everything second hand. I volunteered to work on getting the surgery covered. Thanks for your help. I’ll see what I can get the doctor to write up.

Julie

Hello Julie,

Are you living in Canada or US? I’m in Vancouver, Canada and currently
the government and FACES is covering my son’s ortho work until he is 18
yrs old.

Evonne

jvogt05 cleidocranial-dysplasia-cpt8551@lists.careplace.com
4/13/2008 10:38 PM >>>

I’m in California. There has been no government assistance in all this. We have dental insurance and medical insurance.

Julie

Hi Julie,

That must be very frustrating! I don’t know what I would do if I was
not getting assistance for my son. When I was a teen the government here
also did not provide any assistance and my mouth is still a mess due to
lack of funds and serious mistakes made by the orthos, surgeons, etc.
I’m just fortunate that my son now has proper care.
Have you tried any organizations such as FACES?
I wish you all the best and will pass on any information I can find
that might help you.

jvogt05 cleidocranial-dysplasia-cpt8551@lists.careplace.com
4/14/2008 9:43 AM >>>