Just diagnosed

I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I’m actually relieved because I’ve had many of the several symptoms associated with this disease. The most traumatic - especially as a marathon runner - is that I’ve gained 25 pounds in less than 3 months. I start my medication today - so my question is, with normal diet, exercise and medication, is it possible to get back to a normal weight? Thanks in advance.

It is possible to lose the weight again - it may not be easy - but you can do it. Your metabolism has changed and that’s why it may be hard.
check the www.thyroid.about.com website - There are some tips for losing weight when hypothyroid.

linda

Date: 2008/03/27 Thu AM 11:55:57 CDT
To: lkaserman@verizon.net
Subject: [hypothyroidism] Just diagnosed

It is possible to lose the weight again - it may not be easy - but you can do it. Your metabolism has changed and that’s why it may be hard.
check the www.thyroid.about.com website - There are some tips for losing weight when hypothyroid.

linda

Date: 2008/03/27 Thu AM 11:55:57 CDT
To: lkaserman@verizon.net
Subject: [hypothyroidism] Just diagnosed

I was diagnosed in January 08 and am still trying to get my medication regulated. I am taking the synthroid generic that I can spell much less pronounce (.1 mg daily). I haven’t seen much change, especially in the weight area. I haven’t gained anymore weight, but I sure haven’t lost any. It’s difficult to exercise when I am so tired all the time and suffer from muscle cramps. I’m trying to be hopeful and patient, but it gets really hard sometimes.

Wow! That was fast! Thank you so much. I’ll keep all of that in mind. :slight_smile:

Hi. I just found out that I am most likely dealing with hypothyroidism. I go back this week for a follow-up blood test. What specific questions should I be asking my doctor? Is there anything I need to make sure I mention?

Thanks!

Make sure you Dr continues to order follow up blood tests about once every 6 weeks until your dosage is stable on the synthetic thyroid hormone. It is a big guessing game when you first start on on the synthroid and your Dr needs to keep looking at the blood work until it is within levels that are acceptable to both of you. Dont just go by the numbers however you need to get to a dosage that releives your symptoms. Good Luck and God Bless !
Christine