Lamictal for Bipolar

I sure would appreciate hearing about anyone’s experience with this medication. I was just placed on it - so am beginning my starter pack. I know nothing about it, other than the doctor warned me very sternly that if I get any type of rash (which would feel like sunburn) to STOP taking the medication IMMEDIATELY… and then call him after stopping taking it.

I would be thankful to hear of any experience you have had with this medication - benefits, side effects, how long you’ve been on it, etc. and so forth.

Thanks a million :slight_smile:

Okay - I’m going to take my dose now… almost nine hours later than usual… which should help me fall asleep at a reasonable hour, instead of falling asleep in my soup at lunch time…

Wish me luck :wink:

giggle giggle… it started so seriously about the new medication I am on, and now I just giggle every time I read a new post… is it you, is it me, is it us? Are we a combustibley funny combination - all of us here… sorry I fell asleep on my keyboard for a moment… yee ouch…

Hi there – this one i know about.

i’m sure you’ve done your homework on this one, but for a more “user friendly” version of info about Lamictal, try my favorite site crasymeds.ord – here’s a direct link to the Lamictal section: www.crazymeds.org/lamictal.html

also a good idea to read this general stuff about anticonvulsants/Mood stabilizers: www.crazymeds.org/anticonvulsantsSideEffects.shtml

My experiences?

100 mg Lamictal + 300mg Wellbutrin has helped me MORE than any med cocktail to date. my “official” diagnosis is Major Depression + Generalized Anxiety (MDD + GAD), not any form of Bipolar. Sometimes Depression will respond to a lower dosage than BP.

Getting Started?

i used the “Orange” starter kit – 2 weeks on 25, then to 50, then to 100)

i had 3-4 days of side effects when i first started, and each time after that. When i tried the jump from 50 to 100 my body was very unhappy, so we dropped back to 25 mg increases, over 2 weeks. worked fine. Over all, it took me a little over 6 weeks to get to 100mg/day

my pdoc saw me before each increase to see how i was doing. we’d talk about the severity of side effects, what i was doing to combat them. he would strongly encourage me to continue, but the final decision was mine to accept or refuse.

My side effects

lasted about 3-4 days with each increase.
– a kind of an mildly “itchy all over feeling” when this started i took 2 benedryl twice a day, and that made it stop. Check with your doc on that one – some of these meds are a bad risk with benedryl.

– had a mild version of the “famous” Lamictal “headache from hell.” sometimes aspirin helped, sometimes not. the non-aspirin stuff doesn’t work for me.

– some stomach pain, little nausea, some bowel “irregulatities”

– dry mouth – i NEEDED to carry water around with me’

– some increased drowsiness. this hung on the longest.

It’s real important to take Lamictal at the same time every day.

when my dosage was between 100-150, i took a split dose – 1/2 at about 8AM, the second half about 4 PM (8 hours apart). When the dose went to 175, changed to 8AM and 6PM (10 hours) this is just to keep the level in the blook more “even”

Other things:
– it’s considered weight neutral (hooray)
– dream pattern changes – mine got way more vivid
– some hair fallout issues – it grows back
– some issues with birth control/estrogen and Lamictal levels, one effects the other-- affected when i went off hormone replacement therapy.
– some cognitive issues – forgetting words, the wrong word popping out in the middle of a sentence. i’m having this.

there are also side effects i DIDN’T get. As with all these meds, YMMV.

Despite that, i fight through the side effects to stay on it. I’ve never had any problems with THE Rash. I love what it has done for me.

if you want, i can send you more detailed info, or maybe add to my journal more about my experiences and about my upward titration.

If it works, people LOVE it. If it doesn’t then people hate it. but isn’t that the case with all of these meds.

this one takes a bit more patience than others i think, but for me it was well worth it. that’s why i haven’t given up on my 150 to 200 increase, although it’s been very tough.

Good luck.

hugs and peace,
c.

My dear, my dear - THANK YOU a million times over for taking the time to write all of that, and to share your experiences with Lamictal every step of the way… I appreciate it more than I can verbally expand upon! THANK YOU!

This is my first medication in several months…

I think I might have found a doctor that can help… Lamictal is his first step. (I too am on the orange starter pack to begin with)

THANK YOU again - sincerely… how very wonderful that you spent your time to help me know and understand more about a medication I’ve never dealt with or really heard about. I appreciate the information, and you, very much!

You’re priceless! May your glasses never be poop colored, nor your hallway filled with Hell! :wink:

Description of Lamictal and side effects, and so forth, includes this quote…

“You’re having yet another relationship argument and you fall into a big pile of being the human turd, unable to move or even look away from the stain on the carpet.”

from crazymeds.org - I am laughing so hard, I have tears!

wait until you hit the phrase “suck donkey dong” as in these meds "suck Donkey Dong! Eventually they stop sucking . . . (quite so much)

i almost choked on my own laughter when i hit that one. Ah, that’s just a sample of the joys crazymeds has tucked away in different places. a lot of the forum entries are also entertaining, such as when everyone gangs up on some imbecile who talks about stopping all his meds cold turkey."

crazymeds.org is squarely on the side of “take meds if you have to” and . . .

“The most important thing to remember is this - your symptoms have gone away BECAUSE THE MEDS ARE WORKING! It’s not necessarily because you’ve been cured. There are no cures for a lot of these disorders. It’s not your fault that you’re crazy, but it is your responsibility to stay as sane as possible. You’re not the only person you hurt if you really flip out.”

so many of the people on crazymeds are just so damn SMART – i’m still too intimidated to post a whole lot. asked one question about Lamictal and estrogen, and got a bucketful of wonderful information and experiences.

peace,
c.

“It’s not your fault you’re crazy…”… laughing, laughing, laughing… finally someone agrees! Oh my Lord!

Punky,

Lamictal is what my son has been taking for 2 years. It’s the first medication he took that works. He did get a rash (probably psychological) but not the BAD rash. Survivor 2005 got it, though, I’m pretty sure, and she was in the hospital. It helped my son a lot, but it took him a long time to get to 175mgs. His first pdoc said if 25-50 mgs. helped, he should stick with that. We switched pdocs at that point, and his newest pdoc continued to raise his dosage to 175. Lots of bumps in the road on the way, but she gave him lots of time to adjust. She added Zoloft 2 months ago and he seems to feel better from that cocktail.

I really like the lamictal, 1. because I feel it works and 2. It has so many less side effects than other bipolar drugs. He takes the full dosage at bight, by the way.

Hope it works for you, Punky. You’re one of my favorite “peeps”!!!

Robsmom and Seesaw - let me thank you again for your wonderful consideration in taking the time to share information with me regarding Lamictal… I am pretty “med shy” at this point, as nothing has ever worked.

You girls are giving me a good dose of hope, and though I know we’re all different and our body chemistries do different things with the same medications throughout, I really needed the hope that you have provided.

I feel so much better just reading your words, and I want to thank you from my heart and soul for that… your caring and hopeful sentiments mean at least as much as, if not more, than the medication actually working!

Bless you both! Thank you :slight_smile: May your days be healthy and happy :slight_smile:

Back at you!

Day 7 of the starter pack, and I’m not sure yet whether there’s improvement but THERE’S NO RASH for which I am unendingly grateful :slight_smile:

Thank you for your support, encouragement and willingness to share :slight_smile:

Have a terrific day - and if not a terrific one, a good one - and if you can’t get to that point, let me know, and I’ll stand directly on your bad day’s face until it goes away :slight_smile:

Ah ha - I think I have found at least two side effects… overwhelming sleepiness (I literally can’t keep my eyes open come afternoon) and a nagging headache, by no means the worst headache ever, but one that won’t go away no matter what I take.

Since I’m on day 8 or 9 of the starter pack, and I take my dose at 6:30 a.m., I am wondering what time to change it to so that I will sleep at night, not during the day… I was thinking 6:30 p.m. (which, for me, is MUCH harder to remember)… but I am concerned how to do it… take tomorrow’s at 6:30 p.m.??? Will that affect me badly, to take my NEXT dose 12 hours later than I did the day before?

Any help or knowledge is greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

you can always think of it as being one week closer to knowing . . .

keep thinking. . .

we all respond differently, we all respond dfferently . . .

i’ll never know if it works if i stop taking it . . .

i need to hang on until the next time i see my doc . . .

if all that’s too much, remember the little train that COULD.

my favorite quote about meds . . .
"Be patient when waiting for this (meds) leveling off. Very patient. Reread the Book of Job. Continue being patient. Contemplate the similarity between the phrases “being patient” and “being a patient.” -Kay Redfield Jamison

Dr. Jamison has written some amazing an insightful books about mental disorders, she’s bipolar, and is also one of the noted psychiatrists in the field. see, us wacky folks really can do ANYTHING!

second favorite quote, or maybe the first . . . which sucks less: side effects from meds or living with the disorder? from Jerod on crazymeds.org

hang in there sweetie,

lotsa hugs,
C-saw

LMFAOL "I’ll stand directly on your bad day’s face until it goes away "

I’m a coward about meds – i don’t change anything without checking with my pdoc. I leave a message telling him what i’m planning, and he calls me back the same day to tell me if it’s a good idea or not. when it comes to meds, i’m “very compliant.”

since you’re still on the startup dose, it probably won’t make much difference – but i REALLY DON’T HAVE A CLUE. But once you hit 50mg a day, it might be better to leave those decisions to your pdoc.

Once i hit 175 in my current titration from 150 to 200, i’ve been getting the “sleepies” every day at around 2-3 pm. Since i can go up only 12.5mg every 6-7 days, it’s been taking me nearly most 4 weeks to get to 200, which i hope to start tomorrow.

I want to get to 200 and level off before i see my pdoc on the 14th. Then we can discuss “congingencies” for when i go to Ohio (from CA) to deal with my dad’s increasing dementia. Like most of us, added stress hits me hard, and last March/April started moving backward instead of forward.

what that has to do with you, i have absolutely NO IDEA. I’m just whining.

keep on keeping on. remember the rabbit and the turtle – slow and steady can win the race!

yeah, gotta be careful of that soup thing – the noodles and parsley always get caught in my hair, which is way worse than the broccoli in the teeth thing.

lotsa hugs,
c.

Thank you for your great words :slight_smile:

I think I will NOT take my dose this morning and will wait until this afternoon… the “sleepiness” is more like “overwhelming exhaustion”, so if I can use that to my advantage by taking my dose LATER in the day, I sure will :wink:

You are smart about calling your psychiatrist… I did not do that because I have NO relationship with mine yet as I’ve only seen him one time,… so I don’t feel comfortable calling :frowning:

When I see my doctor again, I will surely tell him everything and see what he thinks and wants me to do. As for now, I took my dose at 3:30 p.m., and nothing seems bad… still very sleepy… but I was before anyway!

Thanks for your posts - I very much appreciate them!

Best of luck to you with your Dad and your own personal mental and physical health… those times are so hard when dealing with major life stressors and loved ones who are ill… I wish you the best.

…It’s not your fault that you’re crazy, but it is your responsibility to stay as sane as possible…

I chocked and fell in the floor laughing and wishing I’d said it…just waiting to repeat it…you’ll get credit…

You are the absolute bestest
Your a shocker Cecile

a or 1) River, I love your Calvin and Hobbes avatar!

b or 2) isn’t See (Still) the best with words? You are too… in fact, the two of you together get me in stitches…

c or 3) Yesterday when I took my Lamictal at 3 p.m. or thereabouts, I did get super tired around 10 p.m., which was good, but then WOKE UP DIRECTLY AT MIDNIGHT cursing life itself and the insomnia that is ever-present.

d or 4) today I almost forgot to take my Lamictal given my hysterical fits of laughter!!!

Oh, it’s all about the fits… and starts… but mostly the fits :wink:

(by the way the letter, then the number, is a habit my coworker has… it really lengthens the discussions we have!!!)

River,

all the credit for that one goes to Jerod on www.crazymeds.org.

well if the shoe “fits” …(HUH?)

and please, please stop with the noodles . . . i keep having to get up and run to the bathroom – all that damned water because of these meds!

OMG, sometimes this is just too much fun. Who knew that crazy people could be such fun!

hugs all around and around and around and around . . . . . .
c.