Lap Band System

Has anyone else seen the commercials for this newest “procedure” forweight loss? Seems to me that the concept is much like Achalasia.They place a band around the esophagus before the stomach to makepeople eat less.This really disturbs me. I can’t believe that people are paying forsomething that so many of us are trying so hard to be rid of!!!Comments?Barb

Hi, I have Achalasia and had gastric bypass surgery in 2008. Both my gastric bypass dr.and the dr. who did my heller myotomy thought maybe doing the surgery would help my achalasia, well!!! If u r going to go that route, do alot of research and above all, DO NOT ABSOLUTELY DO NOT HAVE A WRAP OR BAND put around your stomach. That would be the worse thing u could do. I am happy for the huge wt. loss but getting there has been a very very long journey. I was so sick at one time I looked grey. People would ask me 3 mths after the surgery if I was happy I did it. I told them to ask me again in 3-6 mths. I am very happy for the wt. loss now but I struggle daily with my achalasia and now it has been 10 yrs. since I was diagnosed with my achalasia. There are days when the disease really sucks and then there are those better days which I am very greatful for. With everything in life u have to look for the good and focus on that. No life is perfect and this disease is a bump in the road and some days a major bump in the road, LOL. Good luck with your decisions and also in dealing with Achalasia. Blessings, Anne:)

I know what you mean. I was diagnosed with achaasia in 1971 right after giving birth to my second child. From 1968 to 1971 I had lost 75 lbs. I only gained 2 lbs. while I was pregnant. My daughter has had a lot of health problems and I believe that much of it was because I was not able to eat as I should while I was carrying her. My esophagus is now so stretched that there is food there all the time. It is almost impossible to lose weight, especially since the only liquid that will wash my food down is milk. There is a lady at my church that has a lap band. She is sick all the time. It’s just not worth it.

Why did the Doctors think that having a gastric bypass would help achalasia???