Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease Member Introductions

Please take a moment to introduce yourself to the community. Everyone here has something to share about Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease. For the discussion boards, we ask that you keep your full name and location private.

I had legg perthes as a kid, wore a brace for about 2 years.

I’m a medical researcher part time and owner of the information-perthes group on yahoo. I also had perthes as a child in both hips. Treated with confinment in petrie cast for 8 months and a toronto brace for 4 months. I’m constantly seeking new info for my group and families that seek information.

Hi

I had perthes as a child and now have two children, both of whom have perthes.

I believe that the best way to get through this is to share experiences and ideas and nobody understands what you are going through better, than someone who has ‘been there, done that’!

Donna - NZ

I have a seven year old son who have recently been diagnosed with Perthes disease, would welcome any advice from parents

My son was diagnosed at age 7. My father, aunts, uncles, cousins, and even myself have had total hip replacements due to this condition. I pray for the day a cure or at least better treatment options become available for this awful disease.

I had perthes disease as a child and I just found out that my daughter has it too!

I had several doctors tell me that this is not genetic. That was my main concern when I did have my girls, I didn’t want them to go through what I had went through, and now my Chloe will. I feel terrible that she has to go through this. Any help would be appreiciated. Thank you

Hi. My name is Tanya and I have an 11 year old with this condition. I’m always interested in learning more and meeting others whose children have Perthes

Hi All, My 9 year old son, Jimmy, has perthes in both hips. He had his right hip rebuilt ,when he was 6. He had gotten to the point that he was wheel chair bound, due to the pain. he had his surgery at Dupomt hosp. in Delaware. It has changed his life! Still has slight problems with the left hip. I pray ALOT, that we can delay the next surgery. Lokking forward to hearing from others. Maggie

Hello, I’m the mother of a 17 year old daughter who was has dealt with Legg Perthes since she was nine. Possible hip re-placement on June 15,2007. Its been difficult.

my son was diagnosed last year and was doing well until recently and now may need surgery. not that much information out there on this disease

I am a mom of a 5 yr old son with Perthes. He was diagnosed 15 months ago.

My son has Legg-Perthes. I want to learn about yoga and any other strength training exercises for my son who is in the healing phase.

My son has the disease and one dr wants to do surgery and cast and the other wants to do just cast because it is in regrowth stage.

I am a 46 year old male that was diagnosed with LPD when I was 7. I went through 2 weeks in the hospital in traction, then one year (2nd grade) bed-ridden at home with a school tudor. Then in my 3rd grade year wore a leg brace and crutches for another year. Progress was little and then had “new” surgery to correct. It worked. Was told I could become crippled later in life and will most likely develop arthritis. Would have pain when over doing it from time to time. Lately did too much and hurt myself. I want to find more information for adults that have grown up with LPD and how they are coping and what has happened to them. I am worried that LPD may be starting to affect me again in the prime of my working life–I cannot afford to become crippled.

HI ! MY NAME IS DARRYL-AKA DABIGD. I HAVE HAD LEGG PERTHES SINCE I WAS A CHILD. I AM NOW 40. MY HIP SEEMS TO WORSEN, AND NO ONE WILL DO ANYTHING OR KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT IT. IT EFFECTS ME SOCIALLY, FINANCIALLY, EMOTIONALLY, AND MENTALLY. MY REAL FATHER, A CARRIER, LEFT ME WHEN I WAS BORN. MY MOTHER, MARRIED A STEPFATHER WHO FELT SORRY FOR ME ONLY TO BEAT ME. AT SCHOOL, I WAS ABUSED ALL THROUGH IT, ONE TIME IN FOURTH GRADE BEING PUSHED DOWN, MY LEG BRACE TWISTED AROUND MY LEG, AND DRAGGED FOR A HALF A BLOCK. I CAN’T KEEP DECENT EMPLOYMENT, I HAVE NO CLOSE FRIENDS, NOR A GIRLFRIEND BECAUSE EITHER I PERDCEIVE THEM AS HATING ME BECAUSE OF MY HIP, OR IF THEY DO LIKE ME, I FEEL ASHAMED, AND PUSH THEM AWAY BECAUSE I GOT TOLD A CHILD I WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH DUE TO MY HIP. NOW I HAVE FLASHBACKS, AND I AM SCARED. I INJURED MY HIP LAST FALL, NO JOB, AND NO ONE UNDERSTANDS OR WILL HELP. WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST?

DABIGD
MIDDLETON, WI.

Families with children who have LCPD. Our Son is 7 and has been diagnosed.

HI ! I just learned about this webiste from another support group. My son who is 8 has Perthes. I just want to learn all I can about it. He has a varus osteotomy in October on his left leg. The hip is actually doing well , but he has fractured his wrist and his ankle recently, and broke both of his arms at the dame time a year ago. I am concerned that this may have something to do with Perthes. The doctors (7 of them) have all told me that it is just becuase he is a boy and unlucky, but it has nothing to do with perthes. I am just curious if any other kids with perthes are experiencing fractures for no apparant reason
Thanks, cheri

My 5 year old son has this disease. I want to learn about the progression of the disease and I would like to connect to experts and people with the disease or loved ones with the disease to share their experiences.