Lichen Sclerosus

What causes this condition? Does it get worse even if treatment is being applied?

Doris, According to what I just learned from my gyn last week when I was diagnosed, since this is an autoimmune disease, yes, it will get worse if left untreated. You need to treat it with a steroid cream. If left untreated, LS can rarely turn into vulva cancer and also because the skin is being attacked by this disease, the thinning of the skin can cause the lips of the labia/vulva to start to adhere together. So my Dr. expressed the importance of treating this disease and following up with him to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t turn into anything more serious. So if you’re not treating it now, you should get to your Dr. and start treatment. It’s an initial 2 week course of using steroid cream and then just maintenance as needed. Please don’t leave it untreated.
DJ

Are you being treated with Clobetasol? At the beginning of the treatment, you may need to apply it more often. Also, you may need lidocaine with the cream at first, to numb the itch. Also, you may need a biopsy to make sure nothing else is going on. good luck. carol

Doris lsclerosus-cpt3644@lists.careplace.com wrote:

I’m not sure as I have been just diagnosed, but I have been told that it is
not contagious and may well be something to do with the auto-immune
responses of our bodies. I know that there isn’t that much awareness of it
out there in the general medical community.

Reply-To: lsclerosus-cpt3644@lists.careplace.com
To: gee6090@msn.com
Subject: [lsclerosus] Lichen Sclerosus
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 00:05:24 -0400

Dear Doris, The thought is immune system. They really don’t know., It should
get better , slowly, in time with right treatments. Pat

HI, I HAVE JUST STARTED TREATMENT FOR LS, AND AM HAVING GREAT SUCESS,THE STEROID CREAM IS WORKING WONDERS, THIS IS MY FIRST WEEK OF TREATMENT,SURE HOPE THIS KEEPS UP,I AM FEELING SO MUCH BETTER, THINGS FEEL ALMOST NORMAL,HOPE EVERYONE HAS THE SAME RESULTS,SASSY

I WAS JUST WONDERING WHY THIS CONDITION IS NOT HEARD OF UNTIL YOU GET IT,I SURE WISH I COULD FIND MORE OUT ABOUT LS,SASSY