Links/Resources

Hi, everyone!

I was just doing some research on more “diet” ideas for CP-- other than low fat, high carb… and came across these links and other info. I hope they’ll work from here as hyperlinks (otherwise just search the title or word) and wanted to pass them on.

Also, I know many of us get nausea/vomiting pretty regularly. I wanted to add that in addition to the regular anti-emetics (Compazine, Zofran, Phergan, etc.) there are a bunch of other classes and several routes (like suppositories if you think you might throw up the oral…). Here are some of them, but I found out the hard way that many of them can cause extrapyramidal side effects, which can lead to your body jerking and shaking, or a feeling like you have to run. If this happens, at least you’ll have an idea where to start looking for the side-effect.

Although I didn’t like how it made me feel (a little spacey), Marinol is available legally in a pill form and is synthetic cannibinoid-- like the chemicals in marijuana, it stimulates the part of the brain that reduces nausea and helps stimulate appetite. It does work, though-- and I found that also using higher doses of Ativan (Lorazapam) also worked well, with no real problems except some sleepiness.

Anti-Emetic List (found on the CancerNausea site):
Antihistamines
Benzamides
Benzodiazepines
Butyrophenones
Cannabinoids
Corticosteroids
Neurokinin-1-receptor Antagonists
Phenothiazines
Serotonin Antagonists

Here’s the site list (found on the PanCAN site):
The Pancreas Foundation
Pancreatitis Association International
Pancreas Web
The Pancreatitis Supporters Network
Pancreas.org

Hope this might help out there–

Lisa

Thank you for the info.

I have these horrible body jerks where I feel like I am having a seizure. The last time I was in ICU my body was just jerking repeatedly and I was so out of it I couldn’t figure out what was happening. This website is great, just when we think we are alone in our symptoms someone else shares that they are experiencing the same thing.

I wish you all a pain free day!

Leanne

Hi, Leanne–

It’s always both great and horrible to hear someone else has had a bad experience you’ve gone through-- but, like the CP, it’s so great not to feel alone and to know you’re not the only one.

I had spent months going through episodes of what the RNs/CNAs had said looked like I was “having a seizure on top of Parkinson’s”. It was scary. It took a while, but, thanks to my sister-in-law (a vet), they figured out it was from the anti-nausea meds. It’s a known side-effect, but it’s horrible to go through and can be very scary. Now when I get one of these meds (the Zofran has been the best), I always get 1mg of Ativan with it-- either IV in the hospital or orally at home. Most of the time, it helps me avoid the dykinesthia, and akasthesia that I had been getting-- all from the anti-emetics. Mostly, it just helps to understand what was happening.

Sure glad this has helped! This site is such a great example of “Pay it Forward,” and it always feels great to know that your own bad experiences can help someone else.

Take care and have a great day–

Lisa

My daughter was given demerol in the hospital and immediatley started to shake uncontrollablt, i thought she was having a seizure. She also suffers from petite mal seizure, and that didn’t start until two years after the belly pain. She is on Lyrica, a cousin of Neurontin, because she couldn’t take the neurontin. It helps a little with the pain, and it stops the seizures. tHe weird paqrt of this is, she underwent several EEG’s including a 24 houre one, and it never showed seizures, but as soon as she went on the seizure medication, it stopped,maybe there is a link beteen CP and seizure-like activity.
Jill

It often seems to be unusual medication side-effects as well. There are several classes of meds that help these side-effects, but I’m not sure if the neuroleptics work on this or not. It’s an interesting question.

Also, wanted to pass on to everyone that before I went on TPN I had found a great food: It’s “defatted” peanut butter. If you don’t have a peanut allergy, it’s only got a very small amount of fat (2.5g per 2tbsp.) and 100 cals.-- but has the nutrition of peanut butter (like the protein) and taste without the fat. It’s called “Better 'n Peanut Butter” and I found it at Trader Joe’s. Their site is betternpeanutbutter.com.

Also, in further looking into CP diet stuff, I came across these two books. The second one looks pretty interesting. I haven’t read either, but wanted to pass on the links:
http://www.pancreatitisanddietsupport.com/?gclid=CNX-xKTDyowCFSgRGgod3wj8aw

http://www.pancreatitis-info.com/chronic-pancreatitis-guidebook.php?gid=GS007&a=a&assoc=Google&keyword=chronicpancreatitis

Hope you’re all having a better day!!

Lisa

Hi Jill,

Many people are not tolerating Demerol that’s why they are not giving that much I think recently. Did they give just Demerol and didn’t add Visteral? Visteral is the medicine when added to Demerol, it works better. If they give 50mg of Demerol they usually add 25mg of Visteral. See if that helps. But if they are giving Diludid, let them give her that for now!

Poor thing so young and suffering like that. It is hard to even imagine young kids under 2years and teenagers suffering with this excruciating pain makes me feel helpless for not able to do anything for them. And it is so hard for mothers to watch their kids suffer in front of them like that.

Hope she feels better soon and _*you are a brave mother. Hats off to you, **Jill! *_Remember we are here for you.

Lots of love and many hugs to you and to your daughter.

Love,
Durga.

In your message, you gave the followng information:

"Also, in further looking into CP diet stuff, I came across these two books. The second one looks pretty interesting. I haven’t read either, but wanted to pass on the links:
http://www.pancreatitisanddietsupport.com/?gclid=CNX-xKTDyowCFSgRGgod3wj8aw

http://www.pancreatitis-info.com/chronic-pancreatitis-guidebook.php?gid=GS007&a=a&assoc=Google&keyword=chronicpancreatitis"

I already bought the second book for $29.99 a couple of years ago. I was also to include updates for an entire year. The information in it s not documented at all with references and op. cit.'s. They just blather on and on and tell you very little overall. Their references to studies is pathetic as all of them only refer to summaries of studies and no factual information given. It was put together by a couple who had someone die from pancreatitis and know or even knew anything when they wrote it. It is a hodgepodge of junk that will disappoint more than enlighten. Also, it is sold as an ebook without any possibility of having one’s money returned if they are disatisfied with it, i.e. it is a rip-off.

So, save your money!

If I could get $150 together, I know of an excellent source for articles that are specific to the field of gastroenterology and the information there is not only splendid but spot on in research, references, and real knowledge of this disease as seen by GI’s all over America.

With kind thoughts and hoping that none of you have bought ths already,

Anyse

The best of ALL anti-nauseals is Zofran or its generic equivalent (I just learned the other day that the generic form of zofran costs about $830.00 for 90 tablets. I am grateful that under my medical plan all generics cost me $5 and brand names cost $15.

As cager was pointing out, the family of anti-nauseals that include phenergan, reglan and compazine have a side effect of causing parkinson’s like symptoms. I was on them for 12 years until last February. Suddenly, my head felt cloudy, I could not seem to think very well, and my speech was severely affected as I would talk like “I I I n n n nee nee need so so some he he hel he help.” It scared me to death to the point that I told my family that, if this is how I would continue to live, that I would use a “Final Exit” method to end my life, which my family is ready to support me in doing should I have to seek a ratonal and dignified death.

So, stay away from that group of meds! You can have this side effect at any time, depending on how your body takes it. I have heard since then that some have the side effect very quickly and some, like myself, take 12 years.

Anyse

Hi,

When I was pregnant with my baby girl I had severe morning sickness. I couldn’t even drink sips of water. So, the doctors put me Compazine and the whole night I had hallucinations and until then we were thinking that without asking anyone to come from India to help us, we were going to take care of the baby and everything that follows by ourselves. I’ve lost all my courage and started asking my husband to book the tickets to India because I’m so scared to stay alone. I want to be with all the family members, we had help when I had my son in India. I cannot handle this alone. I was like that for 24hrs. So, we called the doctor and she said, I’m sorry you had a very bad night maybe you are sensitive to medications. Since that day Compazine is one of the medicine which gives me allergy. Then when I was in the hospital one time when they are trying to discuss to put the J-tube so that I won’t die. I was very upset and couldn’t sleep so I asked for Ativan, but the nurse comes and gives me Reglan instead of Ativan. I thought she was giving me Ativan and after giving she said, it;s Reglan which will relax you little bit. I tried Reglan before and I had the same side effects as with the Compazine. I said, why didn’t you tell me before giving it. I can’t take it, it gives me hard time.

She didn’t believe me and said,Reglan, does that? I don’t think so, maybe it’s some other medicine. I never heard about Reglan do that and left the room. She didn’t had any idea what I went through with that medication. I tried to pray, just close my eyes very tight and try to sleep but I was sweating, I had palpitations, crying and same kind of losing the courage and thought that I’m going to die in the hands of these people who keep experimenting. When the medicine wore off then only I started feeling better.

I’m on lot of pain medication and I get nausea as the side effect of these medications. So, we told the doctor and then they started giving Zofran. Now I take Zofran along with pain medications. It works very good and I never had any problems since then. We need to be careful with the medications and the side effects we get from those medications.

Lots of love and hugs to everyone.
Durga.

Long before I got cp, I’ve suffered from severe migraines which would require an ER trip. They would often give me phenergan for the nausea. It would often give me the urges to scratch at myself and feel generally squirrely. I would usually end up asking for benedryl or ativan to counter it. Now it doesns’t happen as much.
zofran is WONDERFUL. Unfortunately my insurance refuses to pay for it so I can only have it is I am inpatient or in the ER.
Reglan, I stay away from. I have had it twice and both times were like a bad shroom trip. I really thought I was losing my mind. I could only lay there and shake and cry.

Its really to bad we often feel as though we can’t speak up to nurses and doctors. But when you are suffering and feel horrible, what can you do? the last thing you wanna do is piss off the person holding the “key” to relief. They are often so suspicous of us anyhow. I’ve had my veins destroyed by too much phenergan that was not diluted. I didn’t want to speak up and tell them how to do their job, and my veins paid the price. I always felt that if I was too difficult, I wouldn’t get the help I needed.

I agree with you that we shouldn’t piss off the person holding the “key” to relief. But if those people who are supposed to be giving relief instead of doing that if they are making us miserable we have every right to speak up. About the nurses we should speak to The Nurse Supervisor. And if the doctor don’t understand and refuses to listen we should complain to the Higher Authority which is responsible taking care of such things. Do you know that every hospital now has these small posers saying that patients should use their rights against the doctors or somebody who is taking care of us.

Couple of times I had to speak up against people who was bothering me than helping me. Now they are not allowed into my room. After some time my GI doctor asked me whether someone was bothering me and why didn’t I tell him. I said, some nurses helped me to complain against the person who was bothering me, it worked out that’s why I didn’t say anything about that incident. In another incident when I was rolling with excruciating pain and I asked for the pain medication and she comes and checks my vitals are fine and I have to wait until the doctor comes in the morning. They don’t like to get disturbed. Then I started screaming and yelling then the other nurse who has other patients came running asking what’s the matter and when she realized how much pain I’m in she called supervisor and the Supervisor called the doctor and told about my pain and he increased the dosage and also gave some Ativan to relax. Then in the morning I complained about the nurse who refused to give medication is not allowed into my room any more. I was so relieved. And when the doctors say something without thinking like I don’t think you are trying hard to eat normal food. I got so mad. I said, why won’t I try hard to get better and if the items of eating increases and if I’m doing better without tube feedings during the day time, then I just can use for night time. I don’t have to hook myself to it all the time and I’ll be free to do anything. Then he said, I don’t know what’s going on. I said, grapes are my favorite fruit and why would I try to eat them without skin, I tried to eat them just like that and I got pain so I have to try without skin and I did ok. At least I get to taste them than not stopping totally eating them. I don’t understand lot of things about you. I said, the whipple procedure is supposed to work out for me and I don’t understand why it didn’t work out, do you understand? I screamed at him. Then he said, in a low voice I don’t know either and left the room.

My stomach after so many procedures and many surgeries must have become very sensitive that’s the reason I ended up on the feeding tube, right! Why don’t they accept such simple fact. Don’t I want to eat food normally if it works out than stuck to a feeding tube. Another time they tried to send to the same surgeon who performed the puestow procedure to get the new feeding tube as they touched me and cut me, the surgeon’s at the hospital where I go usually for my attacks refused to put the tube. I said, I don’t want to go there no matter what. When one surgery doesn’t work and especially in the hospital you had very bad experiences why would I want to go there? One GI doctor got mad and said, we are trying so hard to get better treatment as possible and you are no co-operating. I said, no matter what you are not making me go there. I don’t know if you don’t want to go to the best surgeon at Jefferson’s where do you want to go and then left the room. Next day my GI doctor came and was ready to listen why I’m not ready to go to the same surgeon. When I told all the experiences, he said, then it’s not good for you to go back there, it’s not going to do anything. I’ll try to talk to my friend surgeons at another hospital. He did and I was admitted thee and I got the tube with a minor surgery.

I know it is hard to put up a fight with these people, but as the time goes by they’ll realize that I’m not going to shut up and use every single opportunity to shut them up and make them listen to me. They are nice doctors sometimes they get frustrated that they couldn’t fix the problem for me. When I was having tough time they were so nice to me and tried to help as much as possible by listening, by giving letters to get my mom here soon. When they are nice we should be nice, when they are not we have to speak up and get the things we want to get and also some respect.

I’m not saying this may work for every one or not but I tried always and it worked out for me. WE have to learn to be strong because we go to hospitals to get the treatment and also feel comfortable and if we don’t give that there is no reason in going there. It depends on the doctors also if they are going to take what we are saying seriously then it works. Sometimes they have to listen to me and sometimes I have to listen to them when they are trying hard to do something for me. One time I lost too much weight and I refused to go get the new tube and the doctor got stubborn and he said, he asked the ambulance services to pick me up and get admission at PENN hospital to get the feeding tube, because they can’t let me dying just like that because I was depressed and was fed up with the infections of feeding tube. So, if they didn’t do it taking the case in their hands I wouldn’t be here today. I mean I’m going there for the past 9yrs and everybody knows me, all the doctors so well and the sometimes I get wonderful nurses who listen to me if I was feeling lonely. If I have everything I need and I can manage to go to bathroom I don’t bother them if they are too busy. My friend who knew lot about doctors because her sister was Cancer patient made me learn how to talk to doctors, how to question them and get all the answers I need from them etc. I was lucky to have good friends who were ready to help me in every way.

If the system doesn’t change we have to change and try to get things done for us by fighting for them.

I gave my experiences and how I faced the situations sometimes they really worked for me. I still go by the saying if you are nice to me I’m going to nice with you. I didn’t mean to hurt anyone’s feelings and maybe the situation you were in was totally different and you couldn’t do anything and even you did try also it might not worked for you. I hope you understand and think what I’m trying to say.

Lots of love to all of you and many hugs.
Durga

Anyse–

Thanks for the book reviews-- It hopefully will give some good info on the links I found.

Hugs,

Lisa