Long term survivors

Hello all.
There is the group of people 1,500 in this country on record that have had this illness for over 10 years and never have had to take any type of medication and have been able to maintain a high t-cell standard. They are doing genetic studies out or the Massachusetts university of medicine . My husband has not only signed up but has already submitted MANY tubes of blood for this study . He as well as I have been infected for 20 years, I have had to go on meds but for some unknown reason he is still healthy as a horse . We even years ago had him rechecked to make sure that he was infected. Amazing isn’t it! This study is calling these folks Elite Progressors. Elite for sure. I am so excited to find out what they find out . May take a long time but I plan to stick around for the results!..River

Gee River,

Do you by any chance live near the Russian River in Sonoma County?

If so I might know who you are.

Just guessing.

Love,
Tim.

“There is the group of people 1,500 in this country on record that have had this illness for over 10 years and never have had to take any type of medication and have been able to maintain a high t-cell standard.”

Say what?
Having been HIV+ for almost 13 years and still not sick and still not taking meds… I guess I’m in this group.
I had no idea.

Hey Jorge,

I live in Jersey down by the seashore. Born and breed, a Jersey Gal through and through. I live in a town called Toms River. If ever you plan on being in this area give me a holler. Just don’t come in the summertime unless you like dealing with ALOT of traffic and inconsiderate people. Because thats when the " Bennies" invade this are and stay for the whole summer making it almost impossible for us to live with some peace. But the boardwalk businesses and surrounding ones relry on the to boost or break their profits.

Sure sounds like your one of the " Elite Progressors aka Long Term Survivors". Perhaps you could look into joining the genetic testing that they doing to see why some folks just never progress. I am really looking forward to see what they discover. This will be an amazing breakthrough

wow riverlassie, we’re almost neighbors.
With the exception of 12 years in South Florida, I’ve lived in the Philly area all my life.
Meaning of course the Jersey shore is almost a second home.
So of course it would be great to run into you sometime down there.
Must be nice to live so close to the beach :slight_smile:

Some great stuff on those links.
My HIV Doctor asked me about my ancestry, given that after 13 years being HIV+ I still don’t need meds.
However, I may not fit exactly into the non-progressor group, but seem to be a very slow progressor and might need meds in the future.

Anyway it’ll be fascinating to see what these stuidies reveal.

Hey Elizabeth1
Thanks for the heads up of that web site, Always good to have some new and different info to share at my support groups.