Loose Stools

I am posting here to see if anyone in contact with an HD patient experienced anything similar to what we’re going through now. Our daughter was diagnosed with HD on day 5 of life. She had surgery to create a stoma on day 8. She spent 19 days in the NICU before coming home to us. She has been home for three weeks and about a week ago developed “loose stools” in her ostomy bag. Last Sunday it looked as though blood had entered the bag, so we went to the ER. Once there, they examined her and diagnosed her with the stomach flu. So, one week later, here we are still with loose stools, but no other symptoms of infection i.e. no fever, vomiting etc. Has anyone experienced this with extended diarreha? Should I be concerned and push for further tests to determine the cause of her loose stools? Thanks in advance.

It is normal for kids with HD to get the stomach flu worse then kids without. It can hang on for a lot longer in them. I just spent 2 weeks in the hospital with our son and they advised us he had a sort of stomach bug even though he was not in contact with anyone with the bug. Hope this is helpful.

jennifer,
My youngest now 18, has always had loose stools. Never solid as he has had all his lge bowell and 17cm small removed due to LSHD. He will never have a solid motion. It is worse when he is sick with a stomach bug. He used to get Giardia and Rota Virus alot when he was little and in and out of hospital.
I have 2 children with HD and both have never suffered with constipation after their surgery.
Not sure if this helps you.
Sandra

Did they test her while she was there for Rotavirus??? Sounds like that is exactly what it is!!! Evan had Rotavirus when he was almost a year old and the diarrhea with it lasted for around 2-3 weeks and they say that is completely normal. He was admitted to the hospital for 3 days before a nurse suggested testing him for rotavirus and bam… that is what it was!! Sometimes doctors are too quick to just say “stomach flu”. Its not like rotavirus is that much different but atleast you would know that the diarrhea lasts a long tiem with it. OHhhh, and its very contagious!! Only way to get it is by fecal oral contact so we were washing hands like CRAZY!!! Most of my family ended up getting it anyway… just not as severe. Sooo If you really want to know a real diagnosis ask for them to take a stool sample and run tests on it… it will atleast give you peace of mind :slight_smile: HOpe this helps :slight_smile: