Low Salt Diet?

Hi,

I’m a little confused on low salt diet. If sodium is low wouldn’t you want to eat more salt. I guess if we ate more salt we would be more thirsty, drink too much water and end up with water intoxication which makes sodium go down. Is that right?

that makes sense to me…i’m not a big salt fan anyways, though.

I just know that the more salt you eat the more thirsty you are. It can lead you to increase you water intake and possibly medication intake. I don’t think it can lead to water intoxication in DI unless you take A LOT of medicine. After I eat a meal really high in sodium I often have to double my DDAVP dose and still drink a gallon of water before I feel hydrated again. It is just hard to stick to really low sodium diets. Just know that if you eat high sodium you are going to be more thirsty than the average person.

I have been limiting my sodium intake, which by the way is very difficult. I feel better, and think this was my problem all along with the weight gain, that it is water weight from retention. when I limit my sodium my rings are less tight and feel overall less puffy.

I have CDI and take one spray every night.