Lymph nodes and recent diagnosis

I was recently diagnosed with stage 1, T1aNOMO melanoma, .75 mm nonulcerated, clark’s level lll, superficial spreading malignant melanoma. I had the mole initially removed by a dermatologist and then had further tissue removed around the mole by a surgeon who specializes in melanoma care. The doctor did not suggest testing the nearby lymph nodes, he stated the typical guidlines (NCCN) appear that they only test lymph nodes when the melanoma is at least 1 mm. Based on physical examination the dr. did not feel any swollen lymph nodes near the tumor site. The lab resluts from the excision have come back clean with no further melanoma detected. I have a lot of anxiety over not checking the nearby lyph nodes because my life is so precious to me and I’d hate for it to have spread and I didn’t catch it. Also have strange painful spots on my head and jaw with bad headaches, of course worried about this being related to Melanoma too. I do have appointments set up with neurology and oncology for further discussin, but wanted to see if anyone else was in my boat. I have two beautiful young children and a loving husband, life is so precious to me. Thanks a bunch for those that respond. -Tara

Hello Tara,

I am a stage IV metastatic melanoma survivor, 4.5mm depth, interferon for 1 year, 19 surgeries, etc ... I am now a peer mentor, I care for melanoma patients at my hospital.

I have read your posting. I hope my words will bring you a measure of reassurance and comfort. First of all I urge you to be calm and listen to your doctors: I believe that stress and worry are the largest contributors to disease and complications - I dare say even the cause.

However, I must add that an uncomfortable number of my patients have said the horrible word 'misdiagnosis' to me too many times. If you have doubts that you cannot shake off then you must face the absolute reality that there is no such thing as a bit dead or just a little pregnant, thus if you have doubts that are eroding your peace of mind, then you should follow your heart and take reasonable steps to apease your fears, for they above all will destroy you.

I will offer a reassuring word though: from what I have read of your case, in comparison to other cases including my own, you seem in very good shape to live many more happy years with your family. I imagine you are being closely followed with periodic blood tests and PET scans? Continued early testing is key to survival. I'm sure your doctors are following an exact protocol in this respect.

I wish you the best of luck in your decision. Think about it, talk about it at length, then decide one way or the other and be at peace with yourself. Live your life well.

Take care. My best wishes to you and your family.

alberto