Making amends

I’m an alcoholic. I’d like input on making amends. I wish to make amends to my ex-husband. We’ve been divorced for 35 years and haven’t spoke for 20-some years. I’d like to make amends and am not sure how I want to go about it. I phoned him at his work and left him a message telling him I’d like to talk to him and my phone number. I’ve heard he’s a very cold hearted person which doesn’t matter even though it would be nice if he were kind. I don’t know if I should do this in person, or over the phone. I’m clamming up now and am nervous. Don’t know where to start or how to start. He was my high school sweetheart; we were married after I graduated. I am 56. He is 58. I do not want to hurt anyone or start anything, just make amends. I want to humble myself and give up my resentments and be forgiving and hopefully he will accept my amends. I have heard he now has cancer and I wish to do this before it is too late. I do not know anything about his condition. Can someone offer me any advice of input? Thank you.