Medication for depression

Hi, Ive been suffering from depression on and off for almost three years now. So far, I have tried to work through things through counselling and with the support of friends and family.

However, my sister overdosed last week and although she is physically fine (she lives in Australia and I have just moved to Canada), the fact that I cant be with her and that I did not know what was happenin in her life, has kind of left me hanging by a thread.

So, I am going to see a doc and am curious as to whether anyone has taken medication, what worked, what didnt work etc. I guess Im really scared of side effects and feel weak for having to depend on meds…also I have babies so I dont want anything that is going to affect my ability to take care of them.

I have heard good things about Prozac and bad things about xanax and apopax but am interested in any personal experience
Thanks!

Poppy,
I’m glad you are going to see your Doc today!! I know how hard it is to admit that you have this condition. I have a hard time with it as well. I don’t tell anyone that knows me about it because I don’t like talking about it to them, that is why I see my therapist. But I’m SO happy that you are getting ahold on this!! Hang in there I’m with ya!! Love, Love, Love!!

Hi Poppy, Hang in there. When I was on Zoloft it really helped me. When a problem arose it helped to me to sit back and aproach it with a calm grown up manner.I think before zoloft I probably would have handled things as if I were in high school again,fighting ,yelling and hurting people . And if you find that magic pill or herb that helps you please let me know, I could use the help myself…lol