Medication

My daughter takes the liquid DDAVP and I know that a pill is also available. What is the difference between the two. I wanted to know more about it before I mentioned something to the doctor. I do not want her to change if the pill is not as good.

I have always been on the pill and find that I have relief in about 10 mins.

Chance has been on the pill form for over a year now. We switched him from
the rhinal tube form to the pill and its been wonderful. He’s been pretty
stable on it for a year now. Not really much changes in dosage and all.
Amy
----- Original Message -----
From: “Sylvia” diabetes-insipidus-cpt2763@lists.careplace.com
To: tknbychance@verizon.net
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 8:20 AM
Subject: [diabetes-insipidus] Medication

I used to take the rhinal tube, but what an odd delivery system. Now I take
the plain ole actuated pump type…it works just like afrin or any other nasal
spray. It seems to me that pills are a bummer as there is no way they can
work as quickly as something aborbed instantly thru your membranes.

Steph

See what’s free at
http://www.aol.com.

My grandson has been on the injectible form of DDAVP for several years now. He’s on a very low dose but if he disrupts his fluid intake by just a little, his levels of sodium go haywire! I guess it’s a very fine art of getting it ‘just right’. They stick (pardon the pun) to his being injectible because we know it gets in his system, for sure. I wish they’d switch to the pill form but there’s a reason they don’t; just can’t remember at this time what that is :wink: He has to get a shot in the a.m. and p.m. Sorry I can’t help you with the liquid or pill form. Good luck with that.

Hi Sylvia,
My son is 18 and takes a combination of nasal spray and tablets. The tablets are lower strength and therefore have to take more for the equivalent dose of the nasal spray. Also, I believe the spray works quicker.

Hope this helps.
Nigel.

CatLady,
I was interested your comment about your grandsons sodium levels. My son has recently been told he has low sodium due to over-medication of the DDAVP. How do you deal with the sodium levels and get the DDAVP dose right?

Thanks.

Hi guys, i just joined the forum and glad to see so many ppl sharing their experience.

I’m wondering what medicine is “DDAVP”?

I just found out that i have DI a month ago and i’m taking this “Minirin” pill, it gave me a lot side effects such as gastric, nausea.

What medicine do you guys recommend me to take?

Thanks.

two of my children have di. there is no difference between the liquid and pill form. my oldest son was on the liquid form while he was small but now being old enough he takes the pill. if you think your child is ready for the pill form take with your doctor there should not be a problem with that

Hello. I am away until August 14, 2007 and am unable to read your message.

I have always taken the pill. I do keep the nasal on hand all the time at home in my fridge in case I get a case of the stomach bug though:)
The pill is much easier than the nasal once you get a regular schedule (I take .2mg every 6 hours or more as needed) because you can easily take it with you and you don’t have to worry about the fridge and what ever else. I have also been told that if you use the nasal for too long your body builds resistance to it and you have keep increasing your dose which is not true for the pill. My insurance covers well (I pay $15 a month for a months supply).
My endocronologist wants me to go to injections since I am so regulated saying that it will last longer so I won’t have to take as much, but after 8 years I am use to it and I hate needles! I just really think the pill is the best way to go.

Hi Heidi:

I have had Diabetes-insipidus all my life (it’s familial) and am now 63
years old. I have taken pills, shots and spray. The spray I use does not
have to be refrigerated. I found the shots difficult to do because they are
given in the muscle of the thigh and because it’s injected into a muscle it
hurts. My brother used them for many years in his hips and now he is left
with bumps from the oil in the shot. Also, I have not noticed any need to
increase the dose I’m taking in all these years. Hope this helps.

Regards
Gail

I have always taken the pill. I do keep the nasal on hand all the time at
home in my fridge in case I get a case of the stomach bug though:)
The pill is much easier than the nasal once you get a regular schedule (I
take .2mg every 6 hours or more as needed) because you can easily take it
with you and you don’t have to worry about the fridge and what ever else. I
have also been told that if you use the nasal for too long your body builds
resistance to it and you have keep increasing your dose which is not true
for the pill. My insurance covers well (I pay $15 a month for a months
supply).
My endocronologist wants me to go to injections since I am so regulated
saying that it will last longer so I won’t have to take as much, but after 8
years I am use to it and I hate needles! I just really think the pill is
the best way to go.

__